Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411541 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 02:41:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookVerge (27 Life and Death) [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Author Topic: Verge (27 Life and Death) [FINISHED]  (Read 113368 times)
dub
Level 0

qnp

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 25, 2008, 05:09:50 PM »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask such things, but any ideas why verge looks like this for me?  Sad
Aaron P
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2008, 05:50:29 PM »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask such things, but any ideas why verge looks like this for me?  Sad
*Pic of Verge with Game Maker's surfaces not functioning.*

Your graphic card doesn't support Game Maker surfaces me thinks..
Zaphos
« Reply #162 on: December 25, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »

Looks a lot like this, from a few pages back in the thread:

this makes me sad.
It's a surfaces bug with Game Maker.  Restart your computer or run FRAPS and you should be fine.
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2008, 08:42:52 PM »

Whoa, whoa, whoa, this was made in GAME MAKER?!?!?!

no offense, but the overall quality of this game is too high for gm (no cheesy loading screen, really nice graphics, no big blue bar on top of window, etc.)

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2008, 12:44:10 AM »

no offense, but the overall quality of this game is too high for gm (no cheesy loading screen, really nice graphics, no big blue bar on top of window, etc.)

Haha, thanks! (I think? ;p)
Aaron P
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 26, 2008, 12:47:30 AM »

Why would you think that? Any creation program is at the mercy of it's user, much like a computer is only as useful as the person at the keyboard. The high quality art and superb gameplay executed by Verge is a direct consequence of Xerus being a top notch developer. Game Maker can't make your graphics art really nice ( or shitty for that matter ) and the "cheesy loading screen" is a choice of those who make games with it.
Caspiel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 26, 2008, 01:15:58 AM »

Um, I seem to have encountered a rather significant bug...I pushed a yellow block into place just as a dragon started to spit fireballs, and it caused it to spit a ton of them at the same time, reducing the game's framerate to about 1 per second. I'm still waiting it out, actually, but it should run fine once the fireballs disappear...

Yup. In any case, I've really enjoyed the game so far except for that particular bit. The whole life/death mechanic is totally awesome...
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 26, 2008, 01:31:36 AM »

Um, I seem to have encountered a rather significant bug...I pushed a yellow block into place just as a dragon started to spit fireballs, and it caused it to spit a ton of them at the same time, reducing the game's framerate to about 1 per second. I'm still waiting it out, actually, but it should run fine once the fireballs disappear...

Yup. In any case, I've really enjoyed the game so far except for that particular bit. The whole life/death mechanic is totally awesome...

Whoooaaaaaa.  You know, I think I thought of this bug happening as I coded stuff, but I thought "There's no way anyone would get it down to the very frame..." but apparently you did!  Congrats, you are the real winner of Verge.

Thanks for the report, I'll be sure to iron it out (eventually).
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 26, 2008, 02:33:28 AM »

If you mean out of 60 frames, 1 out of 60 is not incredible odds.

IDIOT.  Outraged
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 26, 2008, 02:52:40 AM »

If you mean out of 60 frames, 1 out of 60 is not incredible odds.

IDIOT.  Outraged

No ... you'd have to get the box into the switch so that it lines up with the exact frame that the dragon is creating the enemy shot instance.  (And it has to be the first time you get that particular box into that particular switch.)

Now, I'm going to stab you 3 times the next time I see you instead of the traditional 2.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 26, 2008, 04:04:05 AM »

Congrats Beer!
Jaenis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 26, 2008, 04:52:37 AM »

Great game, I love the music and atmosphere Smiley

Though, I have few grudges...
The average first time play through I've seen from a lot of people is 15 minutes, and one person I know took 40 minutes somehow.  So no, there wont be a saving feature.
Well... Managed to finish just under one hour. So you might not need saving, but other people might...

I was stuck on this place for wayyy too long, timer says 12 mins, but over 20 would be closer. Those jumps were just impossible for me. Maybe something could be done for those? There are three death jumps, which is quite tricky to get perfect.
Me no platformer (me no Tarzan either Durr...? )

Also, didn't found out the way how to shake those underworld baddies before this very level. I noticed some help shown earlier, but I missed it totally, because it was the first time I was attacked by those things.
mirosurabu
« Reply #172 on: December 26, 2008, 10:05:05 AM »

The high quality art and superb gameplay executed by Verge is a direct consequence of Xerus being a top notch developer.

I guess this is a typo. You meant "[...] Pixel being a top notch developer".

Tongue
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: December 26, 2008, 10:22:51 AM »

Whoa, 4 Color Rebellion!  http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2008/12/20/fun-for-free-verge/  ...although they don't link to me at all and the download link bypasses my php download tracking system.  Oh well.

"The production values are pretty high for an indie game, with Cave Story style graphics and very good, moody music."

lovely how pixel art is now called Cave Story style graphics...

It is particularly cave-storey pixel art.

cave story didn't invented anything, there are a lot of games on the nes using a similar style

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
increpare
« Reply #174 on: December 26, 2008, 10:36:04 AM »

cave story didn't invented anything, there are a lot of games on the nes using a similar style
Actually, one of the things I associate cave story with is the scattered placement of square blocks within a slightly smoother landscape.  Are there nes precedents for this technique?
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2008, 11:41:01 AM »

Whoa, 4 Color Rebellion!  http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2008/12/20/fun-for-free-verge/  ...although they don't link to me at all and the download link bypasses my php download tracking system.  Oh well.

"The production values are pretty high for an indie game, with Cave Story style graphics and very good, moody music."

lovely how pixel art is now called Cave Story style graphics...

It is particularly cave-storey pixel art.

Guide me to this fountain of glory brother  Hand Shake LeftTears of JoyHand Shake Right
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2008, 03:52:31 AM »

Just tried this out, really enjoyed it. The graphics are very nice, with great colours and animation. It's almost a shame that it uses so many Cave Story style trappings, specially the dragon enemies and suspended square blocks.

I really like the gameplay mechanic of the underworld, and the simple puzzle solving works nicely. I think this concept could be built upon considerably.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to play through all of the game and was sad that there wasn't a save game facility.

Actually, one of the things I associate cave story with is the scattered placement of square blocks within a slightly smoother landscape.  Are there nes precedents for this technique?

Me too, I can't think of any NES games that use this method.

twitter: @docky
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2008, 03:57:44 AM »

That's it.  I'm changing the name of this game to Cave Story.  Panda  Cave Story
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:04:14 AM by xerus » Logged
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2008, 04:21:54 AM »

I find it terrifying that "Cave Story Ripoff" takes such precedent in so many minds. At first I thought it was a bit of a joke, but, it comes up a little too often.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2008, 04:34:38 AM »

I didn't say it was a Cave Story rip-off, and we all have our influences.

In terms of palette, clouds, architecture and enemy design it bares similarities. There's no reason to get so upset over it. 

twitter: @docky
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic