Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 03:13:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo 3DS
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS  (Read 249751 times)
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 11, 2011, 03:10:19 PM »

The DS zeldas had mechanically interesting but graphically bland dungeons. The lack of an overworld also killed the exploration, since finding everything took relatively little effort. Most of the game consisted of buying parts for the boat / train which was nothing more than grinding for random items, which was really lame. Replay value was just really low. The overworld in ST was improved from PH, but still wasn't that great. The final boss of ST was pretty awesome, though, I though. I liked the train battle followed by the battle on the ground.

The Oracles games, by contrast, are fabulous. I felt like they were very worthy successors to Link's Awakening, and Capcom put a lot of effort into creating original items and puzzles (Although the Harp of Ages warping was just the Mirror from Zelda 3 with an extra power). Magnetic Gloves are one of my favorite Zelda items of all.
JoGribbs
« Reply #1161 on: November 11, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »

Don't forget Minish Cap.

Also, Oracle of Seasons is probably my favourite Zelda, so there's that.

I just hope Nintendo are getting back in the groove of things and are going to start making good handheld titles again.
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1162 on: November 11, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »

@C.A. Sinclair: OoS is much better than OoA imo because it's faster paced (action focused) and was originally a remake of LoZ so there's some neat references. Both solid games, but Seasons will always be my favorite of the two, and one of my top Zeldas of all time.

And I'll actually take back my comment about the DS zeldas, the art was fine except for Link's model, it was the one graphical element that left a bad taste in my mouth, and I had to stare at him the whole game:

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1163 on: November 11, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »

Was Seasons the one with the Tarm Ruins bit? The music from that was amazing. Both games had their share of great moments though, and it's a shame the Subrosians haven't been revisited yet when Zoras and Gorons seem to get rehashed in every Zelda. Passwording the games into one adventure was fantastic. Also, when you think about it, it was pretty crazy to release two entire Zelda games at the same time. I remember assuming at the time that it'd be like Pokémon and the two versions would barely differ.

JoGribbs
« Reply #1164 on: November 11, 2011, 05:28:03 PM »

the art was fine except for Link's model
vs.

or even

vs.

They sapped all the personality out of the art style.
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1165 on: November 11, 2011, 07:34:24 PM »

its got nothing on MC or WW for sure but I actually still prefer the environments to ALttP.

@ishi:

Coffee

EDIT: HELL YES:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:23:05 PM by Atnas » Logged

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1166 on: November 12, 2011, 12:27:12 AM »

its got nothing on MC or WW for sure but I actually still prefer the environments to ALttP.

@ishi:

Coffee

EDIT: HELL YES:

Coffee Proof that Zelda needs more pirate influences!

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 12, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »

Looks like the sales are looking pretty decent in N.A. now. I'll consider picking one up if the releases look consistently good. So far I'm looking at a "too easy" but fun Mario Land 3ds and not much else to hook me in. Frankly, I don't care to have a handheld, I never gave a damn about them, but I likes me my Konami and Atlus games therefore I get one.
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 12, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »

I preordered Mario 3D Land, going to pick it up tomorrow (hopefully)

Giantbomb has a quick look up, I suggest you guys watch it (or something)

I'm going to be racing as Yoshi.

I'm going to post my friend code when I get the game...Oh, wait, wrong game.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:05:29 PM by Trevor Dunbar » Logged

Toucantastic.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 12, 2011, 08:50:14 PM »

Mario 3D Land looks pretty neat, actually.

Too bad I have too many games to play right now, and Zelda next week. I guess Mario will have to wait.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: November 12, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »

not interested in marioland atm. would be cool to hear the opinions of some of my fellow tiggers tho

am i the only one who thinks the cover art looks kinda bad btw

Kramlack
« Reply #1171 on: November 12, 2011, 09:07:15 PM »

am i the only one who thinks the cover art looks kinda bad btw

Yeah, the text "Please do not hot link our images" just doesn't do it for me. Also not a fan of the white and blue.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1172 on: November 13, 2011, 12:54:19 AM »

I do find it a bit soulless, like most Mario boxart. Same models as ever rendered in a different pose, and that awful sterile white background - what's wrong with a bit of blue sky? It's basically fine though.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: November 13, 2011, 08:12:10 AM »

I miss the days when folks would draw original art. Nintendo Power issue 1 had this sweet two page spread of Super Mario Bros 2 characters at the olympics. They never used any of that art ever again.

Capcom's Megaman 9 and 10 cover art was made in jest, but it oozed originality. I wish Nintendo would do the same.
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1174 on: November 13, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »

That background to me just reminds me of the checkered background in PS when the background is trasparent. A blue sky would really do wonders for the mood.

That said, I LOVE the text. Its delicious in every way possible, and everything else too. This is the best kind of 3D art. If only there was AA ingame to make it look something like that haha.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1175 on: November 13, 2011, 08:57:54 AM »

There we go.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 13, 2011, 09:12:50 AM »

I wish I had an awesome printer and exact sized templates so I could edit all the covers I don't like. I think this one is pretty okay compared to Mario Kart Wii, AKA the worst Mario cover ever.

And yes, I wish they did more art for Mario games instead of the same 3D model they have been using for ages. I love when Miyamoto draws Mario:

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 13, 2011, 09:44:20 AM »

Combo breaker

Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 13, 2011, 11:57:16 PM »

I has the Mario 3d Landz.

It's pretty damn good- if not too easy.

The keychain I got for preordering is #$^&ing dinky. DINKY! Dinky. SMALL.

Toucantastic.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 14, 2011, 09:51:36 AM »

^ I won't has it for a while Sad It gets hard after world 8, according to everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic