Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411591 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 05:54:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe designer's workshop: The silent protagonist
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: The designer's workshop: The silent protagonist  (Read 21718 times)
Seth
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »

On a similar note, in first Golden Sun game, you control Isaac, who is silent.  In the second game, you instead control Felix, who was talked in the first game but is now silent, and Isaac suddenly starts talking.  I thought the sudden switch was quite jarring.

Earthbound does this as well when you control Jeff or Poo, but it's not a big deal there since none of the characters have very developed personalities, and no one really talks when they are in your party anyway.  I don't think Ness ever talks.
Nubling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2008, 05:03:08 AM »

I like those kind of characters.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2008, 01:18:50 AM »

Jak of Jak & Daxter was silent in the first game, but still very expressive with his body language. Then in the second game he gets a voice, but this is kind of believable because he does go through a major character change, what with him being sent into the future, tortured for two years and then becoming some kind of elfin, double-jumping version of Tommy Vercetti.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2008, 05:46:56 AM »

What's nice about it is that Daxter, being the comic relief, directly acknowledges this.

"Sorry about that, he's new to this 'speaking' thing."

A curious question I just thought of: Can you think of any games that would have been better with a silent protagonist?
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2008, 06:14:12 AM »

A curious question I just thought of: Can you think of any games that would have been better with a silent protagonist?

Not really - I mean, I can certainly come up with examples where I didn't like the main character (Tidus in FFX as a prime example), but in those cases I think it would have been better to come up with a better main character than it would to just force them not to speak.

Mitchard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2008, 06:51:42 AM »

Halo. Not that it would be better if the main character didn't speak, he just might as well have not have bothered.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 07:16:01 AM by Mitchard » Logged
medieval
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2008, 06:23:53 AM »

I made a silent protagonist in my game once. Sort of.

http://www.willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=17632

A silent protagonist can be nice.

As a matter of fact, a silent protagonist is win.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:25:37 AM by Medieval » Logged
Ashramaru
Level 0

☻1st Class☻

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2008, 09:11:26 AM »

In my new project, Meister und Bediensteter, the player controls a Silent Protagonist. My main reason behind use of such a concept is for player to basically become the protagonist. The Silent Protagonist works best in games where the player makes decisions that affect the outcome on the story, games where a player is made to feel as if their choices are important. I for one favor the Silent Protagonist as opposed to a Protagonist such as Squall, Zidane, Alex, Cecil, and other protagonists of old. 

"Lastly, hidden with the bottom confines of the ship, rests “The Dreamer”, with his eye closed he rests and quill in hand, his dreams his ambition, his strife will be transcended to all those on this voyage."
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2008, 10:43:22 AM »

For me a silent protagonist is preferable if you want immersion, because anything that HE says and YOU don't think contributes to separate the player and the protegonist.
For example, i hated the protagonist of GRAW2 because it said/did things that i would never say/do. (like killing innocent mexicans to support an imperialistic puppet government  Roll Eyes)

Anyway there's a third option, that it's IMHO the best one: a character that talks a lot, and says exactly what you want.
The perfect example for this is Mass Effect, where at some point you find yourself "acting" in the cutscenes. And it's cool that you can have some decisional power, instead of "executing" the plot...
Unfortunately doing many dialogue paths is really expensive...

Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »

I haven't played the whole game yet but so far I think "Bully" could have worked better with a silent protagonist.

EDIT:
The reason I want a silent protagonist is that I want the character to be me and do things the way I should have done em if I went back to school (well sort of).

Also I think all games that have a silent protagonist could/should also offer you to play as either boy or girl.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 12:33:26 AM by robotacon » Logged
december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2008, 06:02:38 PM »

Also I think all games that have a silent protagonist could also offer you to play as either boy or girl.
Sister From Another Planet?

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
jethrolarson
Level 0

@jethrolarson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2012, 04:41:47 PM »

Metroid: Other M

Some of the worst dialog ever. A prime example of why you shouldn't introduce a voice to a running franchise. People have build up a personal idea of how the character should present itself. People might think that Gordon Freeman should talk but if they picked Gilbert Godfrey to do the voice it'd be a slap in the face. Even if they chose well some people would be pissed.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic