Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 03:22:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 334476 times)
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #820 on: June 17, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »

Okay finally got the nerve to open IE and download it. Chrome won't let you "keep it anyway" as far as I can tell. You're only option is to dismiss. I'm excited to finally try it!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #821 on: June 17, 2014, 10:12:13 PM »

Okay finally got the nerve to open IE and download it. Chrome won't let you "keep it anyway" as far as I can tell. You're only option is to dismiss. I'm excited to finally try it!

If you go to your Downloads you have the option to dismiss Chrome's findings.

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #822 on: June 19, 2014, 04:37:51 AM »

@SolarLune good to know thanks!

@Rakugaki-Otoko This is a fun game! Two constructive criticisms so far:

1) That flower boss (I forgot her name right now) is hard compared to everything else up to this point. This is a welcome challenge! However, I really dislike having to play that entire level again to get to her. So I stopped playing altogether for a day.

2) Platforming isn't very forgiving. It took a good few minutes to adapt from the "Hey I was on that platform when I hit jump!" perspective. Maybe allow jumping if you were on a platform up to a couple frames ago or something? Or maybe it's just me.

Look forward to playing more when I get a chance!

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 19, 2014, 05:26:27 AM »

This was on a fresh download and I was trying to kill that creature in the first stage...
and this error pop up.
How I got this was from trying to kill that creature on the top and figure I could get a better angle with the cutter vertical attack.
Has any of the testers reported this before?
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #824 on: June 19, 2014, 05:29:54 AM »

Ah yes, I had gotten that right there too. A couple other times as well. I believe they were similar situations - holding up and attacking or jumping.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: June 19, 2014, 06:20:21 AM »

Ah yes, I had gotten that right there too. A couple other times as well. I believe they were similar situations - holding up and attacking or jumping.
I think the reason why is the map doesn't have an y+ but there's a -y for the level then again this needs more testing.
I love to have Berzerker Poinsetta come back as a penultimate midbossBonus optional Final boss who uses all 10 of jack's abilities. "If you think she's hard with Gas soul wait until you face her with all 10 soul types." Epileptic
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #826 on: June 19, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »

About the spirit urn. The thing is, when i placed a spirit in it, that is the only spirit that pops out whenever i break the urn. If i placed a shield spirit in it, then i break it to use it, ill get the shield spirit. But,  if i pirchase another one and it wont allow me to place a spirit because it is holding a spirit which is the shield spirit.
You see what i mean? No matter how many urns I buy, the first spirit I placed will be the only one I will get.
Ahh that's troublesome. I must have forgotten to fix something there, I'll be sure to fix that.

1) That flower boss (I forgot her name right now) is hard compared to everything else up to this point. This is a welcome challenge! However, I really dislike having to play that entire level again to get to her. So I stopped playing altogether for a day.

2) Platforming isn't very forgiving. It took a good few minutes to adapt from the "Hey I was on that platform when I hit jump!" perspective. Maybe allow jumping if you were on a platform up to a couple frames ago or something? Or maybe it's just me.

I'm not sure what to tell you, I'm sorry. The game doesn't get any easier after the first miniboss.
As for the platforming, I'm not sure what the problem is exactly. You can't tell when you're standing on a platform?

This was on a fresh download and I was trying to kill that creature in the first stage...
and this error pop up.
Sorry about that. the game seems to do this on some occasions and I've yet to find out why. For now, you can actually click "ignore" a few times, and the game will continue to run normally, sorry for the trouble.
I love to have Berzerker Poinsetta come back as a penultimate midbossBonus optional Final boss who uses all 10 of jack's abilities. "If you think she's hard with Gas soul wait until you face her with all 10 soul types." Epileptic
Don't worry, there are many bosses and minibosses that are harder than Berzerker Poinsetta.

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #827 on: June 19, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »

I'm not sure what to tell you, I'm sorry. The game doesn't get any easier after the first miniboss.
As for the platforming, I'm not sure what the problem is exactly. You can't tell when you're standing on a platform?

I was just saying it would be nice, once you lose a life, to at least have a half way point or continue from the last room before the boss or something rather than go through the whole level again. I suspect there are other levels like this. Maybe it's a good fit for your game or maybe not.

As for the platforming, all I meant was when running then jumping often I hit jump "too late" and fall straight down without actually jumping at all lol. It has to do with the latency between what we see, the logical updates in the game, and human reaction time. By my perception, it feels like I jumped before falling off the platform, but all I see is I fell off the platform. It's actually a common platforming issue, unless it's an intentional design. Anyway I'm sure it's just me not being used to the game... just voicing some thoughts and experiences when playing since at least it's another piece of information for how others react to your game Smiley That can only be a good thing.

I still really enjoy the game!

godsavant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #828 on: June 19, 2014, 07:21:43 PM »

Maybe allow jumping if you were on a platform up to a couple frames ago or something?

-I apologize, but I will never put in a jumping buffer. I'm putting my foot down about that.

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #829 on: June 19, 2014, 07:23:59 PM »

Maybe allow jumping if you were on a platform up to a couple frames ago or something?

-I apologize, but I will never put in a jumping buffer. I'm putting my foot down about that.
Oh alright totally missed that. Cool then if it's by design!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #830 on: June 19, 2014, 07:25:18 PM »

No worries. I appreciate the feedback regardless

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 20, 2014, 08:10:26 AM »

Completely blown away by the miniboss's theme you really improved it from the last time I heard it.
oh uhh drew some fanart of Berzerker Poinsetta( again)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:38:18 AM by Rumrusher » Logged
Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 21, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »

I'm not quite sure how to say this, but does the jump have a cooldown of like a split second? it seems so weird, cuz it means you have to stop moving at times in order to make the next jump if you're running along a short platform. What's weirder is that it only happens when you're moving and jumping alot. I think that's what the other guy was trying to say, cuz I've certainly noticed it too.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:54:08 AM by Colon Semicolon » Logged

DINGLING DONGLE DORKS AGAIN ARE WE?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #833 on: June 22, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »

@Rumrusher Thanks a lot for your fanart again, Rumrusher! Everyone seems to love/hate Berserker Poinsetta. I forgot that I did change the midboss music. Thanks for the compliments!

@Colon Semicolon I'm not sure either. There's no cooldown or anything, if you press jump, you will jump as long as there is ground below you and there are no exceptions. Maybe you're assuming Jack's hitbox is wider than it actually is?

niartyzarC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 23, 2014, 02:23:34 PM »

I found an issue with the Cherub in the "Awakening" level. During the first and last segments of the level, if you fall with a Cherub in your inventory, you simply get stuck in the pit while the woman in the suit/giant hand continue their rampage through the level. You can still control which way Jack faces and can attack though. I had the boomerang+shield combo and the sword and shield sprites remained onscreen, and if I hit the jump button, the shield would drop by a few pixels per second until I let go. The only way out of there was to exit the game.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #835 on: June 23, 2014, 10:06:52 PM »

@niartyzarC Oh, I see. I didn't think of that. There's another stage it would cause this problem in as well. I'll find a workaround so that Jack is placed ahead of the thing chasing you, so the Cherub can still be useful in those unorthodox stages. Thank you for the report.

Also, as a reminder to anyone who experiencing gamebreaking bugs, you can hold the F2 key to soft-reset the game instead of having to close and reopen the program.

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 23, 2014, 11:07:01 PM »

i played through most of the recent demo. its good! lots of nice art and enemy variety. however, i did find one part of the level design to be kinda annoying. too often, large parts of the levels would be taken up by little tiny platforms that you have to hop up.

these little platforming parts arent challenging at all to do, but they did require me to mash the jump button a lot, which was kinda tedious and slow. my advice would be to replace a lot of these with slopes, which would serve the same purpose but wouldnt be as awkward and slow to traverse.

i guess another small kinda tedious thing was the bosses. once you learn their pattern, they become trivially easy to survive against, but they still have a ton of health that you have to mow through. games like contra and gunstar heroes similarly had bosses with simple patterns, but those bosses had low health so that players who knew the pattern could get through them without getting bored. i would recommend either adding a bit more variety to the attacks of some bosses, or reducing their health so that they arent as grindy.

this game has a lot of potential and im lookin forward to seeing more of it

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #837 on: June 29, 2014, 01:14:16 AM »

I see!
I'll figure out a way to make those parts of that stage a bit less tedious then. slopes do sound like a good idea, and it would go well with the cylindrical tower concept of the stage as well.

As for the bosses, I think I could add more variety to their attacks (are there any in particular you had this problem with, so I could know which to focus on?).
If you have the right ability, you can kill most bosses in a few seconds, honestly, it just depends on understanding what can hit them the hardest and fastest.

In other news, new screenshot of a new stage I started making today. For those who played the demo before it had a cutoff point, you might remember the stage with the laser-firing bird, this stage is right after and has gunbatteries being dropped from ships above, the batteries connect when they hit the ground and become turrets that you have to deal with. Also the boss will be something unique, and remeniscent of a memorable boss/situation from Starfox 64.

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 29, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »

As for the bosses, I think I could add more variety to their attacks (are there any in particular you had this problem with, so I could know which to focus on?).
If you have the right ability, you can kill most bosses in a few seconds, honestly, it just depends on understanding what can hit them the hardest and fastest.

Mostly the first flower boss, since its very slow to kill with just the shield. given that the player is first given the shield right before the boss, most players are probably going to have it for that boss, even though the gun or boomerang would defeat it faster. if it had roughly half the health it does right now, i think it would be a perfectly balanced first boss

other bosses just need good weapons, yeah. when i first fought the dragon, i had come in with speed+bullet, which did puny amounts of damage. i managed to win but it was super slow and involved lots of waiting. maybe there could be a way for players to swap weapons during the fight? like, weapon souls could spawn after bosses use certain moves, which would give players using nonoptimal weapon combos a chance to swap to something that suits the particular boss in front of them.

niartyzarC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 30, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »

Well, I've found a few more issues.

Lets run won't pause, but Power Surge will. Is this intentional?

In Lets Run and Power Surge, Mr. Ophan Spawns Jack offscreen, behind the barrier if caught by the screen.

Lets Run has the same Cherub issue as Awakening. But you might have already thought of that.

And there's an enemy who runs off both sides of his platform and runs back on like he's wearing hover boots in Broken Seal.

Btw, who's that statue of?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:57:11 AM by niartyzarC » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic