Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58440 Members - Latest Member: WebMobril5645

May 02, 2024, 09:18:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsa game about shooting stuff (no actual name yet)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: a game about shooting stuff (no actual name yet)  (Read 3012 times)
BoxedLunch
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:21:49 PM »

i decided i'd give making games in flash another try, this time with Flixel, which i like a lot so far. my first game is basically going to be an arena shooter with weird enemies and junk.

i'll post more on it as the game goes along. Gentleman
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:42:52 PM by boxedlunch » Logged
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 02:09:01 PM »

Good luck, your avatar's got me watching this devlog  Smiley
BoxedLunch
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:16:04 PM »

well, i've gotten basic movement and shooting done, or at least kind of working. weird thing is, that's actually taken me two days for just that. but then again, i am working in Flixel, which is very new to me, so i guess it's a pretty big accomplishment. i've learned a lot in the past few days, enough to make me consider using Flixel from now on.

The game itself doesn't really have much going for it yet though, but i'm going to try and make what i've got work a lot better. So hopefully i'll have something presentable by tomorrow.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »

i've finally got a kind of movement demo made. it's mostly movement and stuff, which i still have to adjust, but i'm still pretty proud of what i have.

so far you can shoot, crouch, and walk. i also have it so when you walk off of the sides of the screen, you come on the opposite sides, this way i can have some crazier laser patterns and a decent amount of enemies, while not having the game be overly difficult.

controls:
Arrow Keys- Movement
Z- Shoot
X- Crouch
PLAY

as i said, some things still need to be adjusted, like the screen-wrapping, which currently lets the player hide in certain areas off-screen, which could probably ruin the game by letting players cheat their way to a high score. but i'll try to get to those things as soon as possible.
BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »

i've finally got a kind of movement demo made. it's mostly movement and stuff, which i still have to adjust, but i'm still pretty proud of what i have.

so far you can shoot, crouch, and walk. i also have it so when you walk off of the sides of the screen, you come on the opposite sides, this way i can have some crazier laser patterns and a decent amount of enemies, while not having the game be overly difficult.

controls:
Arrow Keys- Movement
Z- Shoot
X- Crouch
PLAY

as i said, some things still need to be adjusted, like the screen-wrapping, which currently lets the player hide in certain areas off-screen, which could probably ruin the game by letting players cheat their way to a high score. but i'll try to get to those things as soon as possible.

Oh my god.

This is going to be so fun.

Name it...

Explosive Penguins in the Dark
BoxedLunch
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 05:13:53 PM »

you really like the VGNG don't you BattleBeard? Cheesy

edit: i might not use that, but you've definitely convinced me to use the VGNG to come up with a name for this.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 05:19:41 PM by boxedlunch » Logged
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »

I like the feel of it so far Tongue
I could imagine running around the screen picking up coins while shooting the shit out of zombies trying to beat a recent high score  Grin
BoxedLunch
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »

i've realized that i'm terrible making tiny sprites, so i'm going to have to spend the night making a new spritesheet for the player and updating the game to make it work for the new sprite size. right now i'm working with 15x15 for the player size, and although i haven't added them yet, i was going to use 10x10 for enemies. now i'm going to have to work with 30x30 for the player and 25x25 for the enemies, or at least most of them.

this should be easy though. in fact the only problem with this should be the fact that it may take some work to keep a decent amount of enemies on screen and still keep the whole thing a single screen arena shooter. but i think i've got a plan to make that work.

edit: 
' ' '
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:24:16 PM by boxedlunch » Logged
BoxedLunch
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 08:09:57 PM »

i'm considering taking the original idea of having lasers and screen wrapping in the game out. mainly for development time reasons, and a lack of experience in getting everything to work correctly with it. not that i probably couldn't get the lasers to appear how i want and everything, but the way the enemies are working so far, i don't think i'll be able to get the enemies to spawn without colliding into each other without having them spawn on the outer regions of the screen, which ruins screen wrap, and i kind of need it if i want the lasers. i could just take out the enemies, but that kind of takes away some of the fun, and my idea for how i was going to score everything.

what i'm thinking of doing is rather than having the lasers, i'd just have a bit more variety in the enemies and stuff you can do in the game. anyway i'd rather not commit myself to anything, so i'm just going to leave it at that.

i might still use the lasers in some way, but i'm not making any promises.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »

It'd be funny if you pulled a medieval twist and had different character's to choose from on start, changing the sprite (hardly, more of a recolor) and having like arrows or throwing knives xD
Btw need help with sprites? Tongue
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:54:52 PM by kitheif » Logged
BoxedLunch
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 08:54:15 PM »

i usually do my own sprites, but thanks for the offer. Smiley
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »

Flixel 2.55? Shocked
And I still stuck with 2.34 *doh, where have I been?*
Not much to do right now in the game, are you planning to keep the graphic style like that? Because I really like that black and white style.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »

still working on this guys, i've just been figuring some stuff out with flixel. currently, i'm adding in a gorilla type enemy that charges at you every few seconds. once i get that done, i'll try and add in a few more enemies and get a tiny demo out.

i've got some pretty weird enemies planned out, i just hope i'll be able to get them made correctly.

@bart_the_13th: yes, i do plan on sticking with the black and white style. it's something i've stuck with for a lot of my recent stuff, and i enjoy working with it. not that i don't plan on eventually working with other styles though. but not for this.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 03:24:14 PM »

GORILLAS

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 05:19:18 PM »

Gorillas! Grin

But what are they doing? Are they trying to tell us something?

Ashkin
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 06:05:23 PM »

GORILLAS
What
I don't-
what
BoxedLunch
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 07:07:51 PM »

gorillas.
Sakar
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 07:23:55 PM »

gorillas.
Well said

My first thought with those screenshots was mooosh
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 07:37:49 PM »

gorillas.

BoxedLunch
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 08:35:59 PM »

i'm currently working on a a way to have blood(or whatever else i feel like) come out of enemies right where you shoot them. so far it's going pretty quickly, and oddly figuring out particles is going wayyyyyy quicker than it ever did with game maker. that is, i can actually figure them out.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic