Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 05:42:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGet Your Cell Together - Released!!!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Get Your Cell Together - Released!!!  (Read 4207 times)
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2012, 05:34:09 AM »

Hi.  Smiley

I'm working at the moment on a port of my Ludum Dare 24 competition game. The game is called Get Your Cell Together. I'm porting it to C# and XNA from HTML5.
And this version will be much bigger and tougher and will also have new features.

The game is now released on Xbox Live Marketplace! Get it here:  http://marketplace.xbox.com/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550d33

Homepage
http://jijaweb.com

Type of Game
2D Action. With a lot of nasty viruses.

Story
Evolve or die! You will have to add cells to your original cell. And after you have reached a certain level you can evolve and go to the next map.

Videos

TRAILER

First Levels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpzJRUnkPuQ All the bosses

NEW HD GRAPHICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bosses

Mother Cube

Rotten Seashell

Mutated Potato

Spide the spider

Geo the neoplasm

Screenshots

I hope I will write as much as I can about the progress of the game here. All updates are also posted on the homepage.

(Twitter: #jijaweb)

/jijaweb
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:17:11 AM by jijaweb » Logged

/jija
K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:42:43 AM »

I had a similar idea a while back but never did anything with it, so I look forward to seeing where you take this  Hand Thumbs Up Left

jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »

Ok. Thank you.

Making more enemies at the moment.

Thinking of adding more "game modes". More like "labyrinth like" levels.

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 03:45:50 AM »

I implemented a new game element today, "The Fire".
Some levels will have this element, and it will hunt you. Those levels will be more designed as "Labyrinth style levels".

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »

Here is a little clip from the first boss fight in the game. The boss and AI is still work in progress though.

http://youtu.be/fqFPgTI9uvU?hd=1

I have also implemented a new level info screen between levels to show the player what level he/she are up against next. The idea comes from Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

I will post a new longer video with sound later on with all the new features.

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:39:57 AM »

A new game play video of the first levels and the first boss.
I have also added new songloops.

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 07:10:49 AM »

I would like some help coming up with different movement patterns to the bosses. I have two patterns ready for the first two bosses. Does anyone know some good sites for more information on this? Or maybe you have some very good ideas by yourself that you will share??? Smiley

Have a great day!

/jija
koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 03:14:16 PM »

The last video (with sfx) looks really nice! 

I've got a few ideas, while watching. You actually can use some real biology to drive your game dynamics. 

The player is a multicellular organism, so use its cellular nature to make the boss fight more fun:

1) Make your HP = number of palyer's cells. So, when you are hit by the boss, you lose one cell (or a fixed number of cells).
2) Also, your bullets are your cells too. So, you have to be careful not to exhaust yourself while shooting.

I think, biologically, number of cells must grow exponentially,and not linearly as it is right now. It can make things harder in the first phase of the game, where you have to avoid enemies, but for the boss fight it can be a good thing. If you will try exponential growth, the linear dimensions of the organism must increase roughly as a cube root of the number of cells (right? it is a 3D object after all), so that must mitigate exponential growth a little. Also, you can simply do not let it become bigger that certain maximum size.

So, if you are interested, exponential growth can be implemented if you spawn a new cell every (1/(R*N)) seconds, where N in your current size, ans R is the growth constant. I think, that's correct, but you can read wikipedia article on this.

Growth parameter R can be constant. But you can make it go down to zero, when the organism size N is large, say, define R = C*(Nmax - N) (I think, this modification will limit the organism size N <= Nmax)..

In addition, you can implement food sources (like sugar) that increases your growth rate R as some sort of power up.

That said, there is no reason to make the game really realistic. First of all, it must be fun to play, and all natural features should be added only if they increase fun. It does not have to be ugly simulation.

Hope, there were some useful ideas for your game. Let me know, if you are interested, I can probably elaborate the concepts, or explain it better.

jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 06:14:08 AM »

All the bosses and the movement patterns that I have worked on.

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 01:02:39 PM »

The game is in playtest at the Xbox Live Indie website. I hope it will be released pretty soon.

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »

I'm working on to replace all the pixelart with smooth HD Graphics. I hope you like it.  Wink

/jija
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 02:22:43 PM »

Get your shit together, Cell.

Anyhow, game looks fine and dandy. A critique point is the background tho, it's too sharp and has too much contrast; would hurt eyes after staring at it over a longer timeframe.

jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »

Get your shit together, Cell.

Anyhow, game looks fine and dandy. A critique point is the background tho, it's too sharp and has too much contrast; would hurt eyes after staring at it over a longer timeframe.
[/quote

Ok thank you. I will fix the background. Maybe darken it a bit more?

/jija
ink.inc
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »

just to make a distinction, contrast is not how bright/dark a piece is, it's how much difference in brightness/darkness there is. you can have a piece that is all white, and still be considered low contrast.

atm your background is distracting because of the highlights on the wall; tone those down a bit, and maybe look at some of derek yu's aquaria art for some inspiration (he had similarly themed intestinal areas).
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 12:30:42 PM »

Ok. Yeah I see the differences. But it's hard to get it right. I will try to make some good changes and come back here. I will also have a new background soon with a different theme, ready to show here.

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:01 PM »

I have not changed the red background yet. I'm fiddling around with the brightness and contrast. But I'm not happy with it yet. But here are some more screenshots. One new background and new tile blocks.

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »

Here is a short game play clip that shows the new graphics.

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »

The first trailer:

Check it out!

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 05:48:48 AM »

My game is now released and you can get it here: http://marketplace.xbox.com/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550d33

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »

Ok, I have o post this here. It's so funny. Rooster Teeth is playing my game, rage quit!

Watch the video here:

/jija
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic