Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 05:31:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPYR△MID
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PYR△MID  (Read 1407 times)
Moromis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:04:50 AM »

PYR△MID

The basis of the game is to descend into the depths of an ancient pyramid, find the treasure at the base, and then return to the surface, escaping with your newfound prize. The game's art is composed of retro, pong-esque graphics, and the gameplay is based mainly off of Nethack and the Binding of Isaac.

Demos:
Version 0.1
Version 0.2
Version 0.3 (Wasn't around for long)
Version 0.4
Version 0.5

Controls:
Arrow Keys = movement;
E = mine a block;
Q = descend stairs;

Things to be added...?:
+ High Scores/Scoreboard
+ A puzzle room
+ More randomly generated content
+ Multiplayer
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:11:19 PM by Moromis » Logged

Live 3-6 PST

Mai sounds

Mai arts
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:46:26 AM »

Awesome name!

sunnder
Level 0

Scorch Arena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 05:50:20 AM »

Interesting concept but it's hard to judge how it'll play out without seeing some more of the core features. Is the game going to be more action-based or puzzle-like?

I do like the simplistic art, though. There's a modern feel to it which sets it apart from other less-inspired pixel art.

"In any case you mustn't confuse a single failure with a final defeat." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Moromis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 02:46:10 PM »

@Hipshot: Thanks! Smiley

@sunnder: Sure, it's coming right along though, so you'll be able to see it as I envisioned it originally pretty quickly. As it's coming along right now, it will probably be an action game, with some bullet hell moments. I think puzzles would fit right in with the pyramid theme though, so I'll consider that.

Here's a new build with a lot of things added:
Version 0.2

I also started working on some music, and will post that in a bit.

Live 3-6 PST

Mai sounds

Mai arts
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »

interesting .. Smiley

Moromis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »

Here's a new version! I added quite a bit, including audio, health, and menus. You can now win the game, and there are three difficulty levels. It also has a nice little ascii readme type thing bundled with it.

Version 0.4

Also, am I allowed to cross post this build to feedback, as it will probably be the final version or very close to it? Where else would you suggest I put this to get some testing and feedback?

Live 3-6 PST

Mai sounds

Mai arts
devi ever
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »

Definitely love the concept and am looking forward to seeing it fleshed out more. Smiley

Funny too, because I'm doing a series of games starring an adventurous white block... Smiley

devi ever
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 02:06:26 PM »

as it will probably be the final version or very close to it

Oh... that makes me a sad panda!  Panda Hand Thumbs Down Right

I'd love to see this concept with more enemies and items / weapon upgrades!
sunnder
Level 0

Scorch Arena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »

It's starting to shape up pretty nicely!

One concern I have is that "digging up" every single tile on every floor of the Pyramid seems very tedious. I'm not sure how you could get around it, but I suggest a revamp of that idea since there's no difficulty to walking around to each tile and pressing E. Even with the monsters, you first kill the monsters and then dig around, so it's not really added digging difficulty. Just two phases: kill, then dig.

Maybe it can auto-dig as you walk around? Don't know. Tongue

"In any case you mustn't confuse a single failure with a final defeat." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
devi ever
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »

It's starting to shape up pretty nicely!

One concern I have is that "digging up" every single tile on every floor of the Pyramid seems very tedious. I'm not sure how you could get around it, but I suggest a revamp of that idea since there's no difficulty to walking around to each tile and pressing E. Even with the monsters, you first kill the monsters and then dig around, so it's not really added digging difficulty. Just two phases: kill, then dig.

Maybe it can auto-dig as you walk around? Don't know. Tongue

Yeah.  I think this is where items might be interesting... like an auto-dig power up, or bomb that will clear away an area of squares at a time... or once you destroy an enemy, they explode and the surrounding tiles are cleared.

You could maybe even make the tile clearing more of a puzzle / mini game, with like... flowing water that needs to be directed to clear the tiles... dunno... definitely something a bit more engaging and unique per each floor.
Moromis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 08:46:26 PM »

@Devi Ever: I'm not saying it's done, it's just complete. If I stopped here (which I probably won't), it would be a final, fully fleshed out idea as I first envisioned it.

@sunnder: You don't have to actually dig up every block - rather the goal is to get a low final time. But, seeing that doesn't seem to be an obvious thought, I am considering other ideas and additions.

Here's a new version with a slight revision to fix the main game music not loading in the medium and hard difficulties: Version 0.5
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:20:58 PM by Moromis » Logged

Live 3-6 PST

Mai sounds

Mai arts
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic