Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 01:37:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKittenswarm
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kittenswarm  (Read 1011 times)
tcstyle
Level 0

RustyBotGames

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »

Hey fellow TIGsourcerers. To keep up my motivation in game development I guess it would be great to post some devlog updates to a broader audience. The game Kittenswarm is about guiding a swarm of kittens through levels with dangerous obstacles by placing some bait that will refresh after some delay.
My game started as a warm up entry for the last Ludum Dare (http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22-warmup/?action=preview&uid=4834) and I intend to make a full game out of it. I've already done some work with the visual appearance (animations, sprite scale). The screenshot below shows the look of the game by now:

At the moment I am stuck with the look of the game which I think is not satisfying. So I tested a dedicated colour palette and made a mockup of colour distribution in a level:

Actually I really like the abstract look of just the coloured squares and am thinking about making the visual appearence of the game like that. Any comments on that would be really appreciated.

Next steps are to implement a bitmap font, level editor and different levels. I will post updates of my progress here.

tcstyle
Level 0

RustyBotGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:10:05 AM »

I made some progress on the visuals of the game. Not yet as good as the mockup but I'm getting closer:

The background is generated procedurally which I will implement in the level editor. By now, for testing, with every start the background looks different.

Actually the game has four ways to control the difficulty:
  • Level design
  • Swarm density
  • Maximum swarm speed
  • Refresh time for bait
I am planning to combine different difficulty settings with some sort of medal/achievement system to add replayability to the game.

tcstyle
Level 0

RustyBotGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:23:34 PM »

Progress on the level editor:

Not yet functional in any way, but holding CTRL pauses the game and displays the menu. Icons are: Create new level, save level, define kittens start, place obstacle, place goal.
Just realized there is no icon for loading the level. Facepalm

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »

kitties! Grin

Good luck, thanks for sharing!

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic