Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411672 Posts in 69398 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 09:25:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral9.0 Earthquake in Japan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: 9.0 Earthquake in Japan  (Read 30777 times)
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2011, 08:27:41 PM »

Anyway, I wonder if we will see the rise of floating crystal cities in Japan now.

With all these major earthquakes popping up now, they better build everybody one because...well...it'll probably fit their admittedly odd culture.

Quick, for the love of god, someone get to the Square Enix offices, they must still have the blueprints for the airships!
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »

Haven't had much chance to keep up with the news on the Earthquake, but wow, scary... Especially the issues with the power plants.  Concerned I have few friends who live in Tokyo, thankfully most have checked in via Facebook. My thoughts go out to everyone's family and friends in the afflicted area.

http://american.redcross.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ntld_main&s_src=F8HWA002

Please donate to the Japan Earthquake relief and Pacific Tsunami fund.

Also, when donating, make sure you're donating to an actual charity/NGO/etc, like with Haiti, there's a ton of assholes running scams trying to make a quick buck out of this.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Taiko
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-how-to-help/

Is a good listing of charities by the NYT.  My thoughts and prayers are with the victims.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2011, 09:22:59 PM »

Well there is nothing wrong with what Hillary said. The cruddy water around japan now is unsuitable as nuclear coolant, hence suitable nuclear coolant had to be flown in. Geez, she has said dumber things, lets give her this one ay.

Anyway, I wonder if we will see the rise of floating crystal cities in Japan now.
Japan is surrounded by "special coolant."  There is no real issue with "special coolant."  The real issue is that their backup diesel generator got ruined by the tidal wave, and they're struggling to get something working before the backup batteries run out and they are unable to pump said "special coolant."

No "special coolant" was actually shipped in, either.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:46 PM »

Shocked

Waitasecond. Has anybody thought about how much this may effect the commercial games industry? Or perhaps the entire gaming industry on a global level?

Yes, it's considerably less important than the safety and well-being of people's lives. But it just crossed my mind.

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »

http://www.icrc.org/

im9today
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2011, 12:26:36 AM »

Well there is nothing wrong with what Hillary said. The cruddy water around japan now is unsuitable as nuclear coolant, hence suitable nuclear coolant had to be flown in. Geez, she has said dumber things, lets give her this one ay.

Japan is surrounded by "special coolant."  There is no real issue with "special coolant."  The real issue is that their backup diesel generator got ruined by the tidal wave, and they're struggling to get something working before the backup batteries run out and they are unable to pump said "special coolant."

No "special coolant" was actually shipped in, either.
why didnt they just call you in
im9today
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2011, 12:27:22 AM »

im from the internet and im here to help
mike_st
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2011, 12:31:32 AM »

Oh ... my ... God...

Explosion at Fukushima NPP.

Edit:It was already a terrible tragedy and now this...  Sad Sad Sad
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2011, 12:40:05 AM »

Shocked

Waitasecond. Has anybody thought about how much this may effect the commercial games industry? Or perhaps the entire gaming industry on a global level?

Well, the financial markets started reacting almost immediately. I can't find a sub-daily chart for yesterday but here's the dailies:
http://www.google.com/finance?q=CURRENCY:USDJPY

Industry-wise I don't know if the picture will change a great deal. The high-level infrastructure of Japan is intact enough to resume information businesses, and most the key workers are going to still be around. The factors needed for an industry change are more likely to be social/political/cultural. THAT could change in the wake of this disaster.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2011, 01:04:28 AM »

Charity: The Profit.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2011, 01:13:29 AM »

why didnt they just call you in

I don't get it.  Why didn't Hillary call up some random guy who did basic research on nuclear power plants or check a news report that reported what exactly was going on, or why didn't Japan phone me in to make their generator work?

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2011, 01:19:31 AM »

this is horrible Sad
I pray for the best for all those affected, and hope the nuclear situation gets all sorted out without further incident.
Hope all you's guys' families and friends from Japan are and remain to be okay.

Supermini_man
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2011, 07:29:28 AM »

This is just horrible. I hope everything will go back to normal there as fast as possible, and my condolences to the families/friends of the victims of it. Sad
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2011, 07:55:44 AM »

The city Minamisanriku, along with 10,000 people, seems to be missing.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2011, 07:59:47 AM »

Uh oh. I just looked on google maps, it is clear that Minamisanriku city got the brunt of tsunami.

Here is a photo of said city:
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »

oh my gos, this got worse and worse, and the senseless facebook feed that call about pearl harbor  WTF , as if hiroshima and nagasaki wasn't enough  Angry Angry Angry internet is full of morons

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »

i found this commentary on the quake nice:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100079652/already-some-people-are-gloating-about-the-humbling-of-modern-japan/

In truth, it is commonplace today to see disasters being described as lessons for greedy mankind from the angry gods of the natural world. Whether it is the recent flooding in England, described by one Guardian journalist as “environmental ECT” for people who are “apathetic about climate change”, or leading green Mark Lynas’s claim a few years ago that mankind has woken Poseidon “from a thousand-year slumber and this time his wrath will know no bounds”, a backward, irrational, pre-Enlightenment view of nature as the boss and mankind as her mere playthings is creeping backing into serious public debate. And the message is always the same, as it is in today’s Daily Mail article on Japan: we must learn from older, pre-modern human societies, which had “a more realistic sense of their place in the world”.

No, we shouldn’t. To do that – to stop building and developing and progressing just because sections of the cut-off intellectual elite says it makes nature angry – would be the real disaster. Japan’s tragedy is awful, but there has been far less loss of human life than there was in Haiti in January last year or in the Asian tsunami of 2006. Why? Because Japan is better developed, and thus better able to withstand what some fools refer to as “nature’s fury”. The Daily Mail says the events in Japan are “profoundly humbling and horrible”. They are horrible, that’s for sure. But humbling? No – our response to this tragedy should be to build even bigger, more nature-resistant human societies, not to crawl back into the caves where our ancestors came back.

PowRTocH
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »

So... anyone know how to make money off of this?
Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »

"Charities" already are making big monies.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic