Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 12:07:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRGB
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RGB  (Read 2003 times)
PlayMeTape
RGB
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:06:39 AM »

Hi there tigsource. So I just finished up a prototype I made for a programming course I took and I would reeeeaaaally like some feedback since I'm thinking about keep developing it for 360 (with added features ofcourse). The game is made with XNA.

Here's the description of the game taken from my readme file:
Use your paddle to destroy the squares to increase your score. Avoid being struck in your red edges beacuse this will destroy your paddle.
If you destroy several squares within a short time limit you will build up a combo. This will make your score increase faster.

There are three game modes, single player, two player coop and two player competitive.

SO HERE'S ANOTHER DOWNLOAD LINK FOR A BUILD I THINK WILL WORK FOR MOST PEOPLE (only use this if you haven't played a xna game on your comp previously since it contains more files than the links at the end of this post):
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zyjzmkkyuym

Here's some screens to whet your appetite:

I would really appreciate some feedback on this. Do you find it any fun? What would you like to see added. Stuff like that. Hope you enjoy it!

The game is at its best with a 360 controller plugged in, if you don't have one you'll find the keyboard controls in the readme file.

p.s. Under the options menu you can turn off the bright blinking backgrounds in case you're epileptic or just find them annoying.

Edit: haha, oops. Here's some download links Tongue.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mnmnmzztn2u
http://rapidshare.com/files/276627356/RGB.rar
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:43:10 PM by Christoffer » Logged
PlayMeTape
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:13:55 AM »

Soooo, it seems like some of my friends are having problems running the game whhile others dont. Which is really weird. So I would very much appreciate if someone could at least try it out and report back.
Schtee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:17:15 PM »

I was able to run it fine, but I've got all XNA-development-environment-stuff setup so I guess it'd make sense. Had a couple of plays with keyboard controls and yeah, I'd guess a pad'd do me a lot better. I liked the OTT techno vibe Wink
PlayMeTape
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 12:25:17 PM »

I was able to run it fine, but I've got all XNA-development-environment-stuff setup so I guess it'd make sense. Had a couple of plays with keyboard controls and yeah, I'd guess a pad'd do me a lot better. I liked the OTT techno vibe Wink

Yeah I thought that might be the issue for some. But the odd thing is that I had three friends test it on their computers (none of them had knowingly ever installed the xna/.net libraries) and it worked just fine for two of them. When I used the built in packaging method it worked for the last one as well.

I'm trying to come up with a better keyboard control scheme. Do you have any suggestions? I'm wondering if it might help if I switch over the tilting to the right hand and use the left hand for movement. Just like it works with a controller.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:45:27 PM by Christoffer » Logged
Schtee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 12:49:16 PM »

I guess for me WASD movement with, perhaps left direction key to rotate anti-clockwise, right to rotate clockwise or something would feel a bit more natural.

Don't really have any idas why it'd work for some of your friends and not others Sad
PlayMeTape
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:46:22 PM »

So I've set up an alternative download which I think will work better for people who don't have any xna/.net libraries installed on their computer. You can find it in the top post or right here Tongue:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zyjzmkkyuym

I hope that some of you can get around to playing it because I really need some feedback. I have to submit it to my course soon but I would like to be able to polish it further if any of you have some advice for me.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »

hmm, intersting to say the least though I did pick up on some things.

I really think that you ought to explain the rules a bit better, on many occasions I died thinking "WTF? I just got one that shape/colour" which didnt really make me want to keep playing, all the same, FANTASTIC music!
PlayMeTape
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 01:13:11 AM »

hmm, intersting to say the least though I did pick up on some things.

I really think that you ought to explain the rules a bit better, on many occasions I died thinking "WTF? I just got one that shape/colour" which didnt really make me want to keep playing, all the same, FANTASTIC music!

Oh, really? You sure you didn't just see one of them hitting your red parts? Because on my end the collision detection works flawlessly. There aren't any rules as to which ones you can destroy or not.

Also, thank Henry Homesweet for that Tongue.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 08:21:28 AM »

OH, I didnt realise that they should not hit your ends. that explains it then, sorry. However I do think that that should be explained better
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 06:28:08 AM »

Epilepsy yhey. You've even got an option labelled "Epilepsy". Banging music.

It's, uh, cool and stuff yeah, should work, but the combo system is only okay. Simply having to HIT HIT HIT withing 0.5 seconds isn't so much fun sometimes. May I suggest that you use the Big Boxes (multicoloured explosion things) that the Squares leave behind as your combo upper? +1 to old score if you get another square in the middle, +2 if you get another square on the edge?

Not sure if it would work, and I don't generally like to tell people how to do their job, but it was more fun for the 30 seconds that I thought it worked that way. Try it out, maybe? Plus, if you encourage folk to catch the Edge of the Explosion then you can get pretty explosions all over the screen more epilepsy yay!

In other news, the Red Ends Dead Ends made sense to me from the get-go.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 03:12:47 AM »

Epilepsy yhey. You've even got an option labelled "Epilepsy". Banging music.

It's, uh, cool and stuff yeah, should work, but the combo system is only okay. Simply having to HIT HIT HIT withing 0.5 seconds isn't so much fun sometimes. May I suggest that you use the Big Boxes (multicoloured explosion things) that the Squares leave behind as your combo upper? +1 to old score if you get another square in the middle, +2 if you get another square on the edge?

Not sure if it would work, and I don't generally like to tell people how to do their job, but it was more fun for the 30 seconds that I thought it worked that way. Try it out, maybe? Plus, if you encourage folk to catch the Edge of the Explosion then you can get pretty explosions all over the screen more epilepsy yay!

In other news, the Red Ends Dead Ends made sense to me from the get-go.

Oooh, that's a good idea Smiley. The project has been sent in now so I won't be able to fix it before grading. But if I continue working on this I will definitely add that. At least as a game mode.

Great because I was hoping it was obvious since they were red... and stuff Tongue.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic