Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411727 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: Sergei

May 22, 2024, 09:11:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1458963 times)
Woodledude
Level 0

What does this text field do?

View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: April 06, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »

"Slugcat! Slugcat! Ia! Ia!"
"Lizard, Vulture! Mel wei treia!"
"James, Joar! hari hari har!"
"Rainworld, Rainworld! This has gone too far!"

Fledgling game designer. Be prepared for walls of text with little coherency and much rambling. Thank you for your time, and tell me what you think.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3441 on: April 06, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »

^^^^ ROFL

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: April 06, 2015, 05:33:02 PM »

^^^^ ROFL
That'll be 10k, cash.

by MSLF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: April 06, 2015, 05:34:56 PM »

Second controller support seems essential.
I connect two gamepads to the pc, when playing the alpha - only one seems to work, and the second player has to use the keyboard. That seems unfair, when enjoying these alphas with the friend... possibly an easy fix?

"Either you have an action method or you're irrelevant."
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3444 on: April 06, 2015, 05:47:27 PM »

Second player support hasn't really been added yet, just spawning the 2nd Slugcat for testing purposes. It's completely "broken" as a game mode for now. If everything goes to plan, the next build will be more multiplayer focused, so that would probably happen then. But yes, obviously we plan for all players to be able to use gamepads. Still a way to go between now and then though.

2 player is pretty fun though right?? Even totally broken  Gomez Gomez

by MSLF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: April 07, 2015, 05:41:58 AM »

Definitely is. The people that tried were completely sold on the game.

Hoping for an early multiplayer build then - the keyboard player gets muscle-tired after a while.

"Either you have an action method or you're irrelevant."
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: April 07, 2015, 12:04:01 PM »

I'm spending two days in Boston with James, and we've been doing some important work on mapping out the world, discussing how you will progress through the game etc. But, not a lot of the standard solitary work we usually do, i.e. levels and programming. Will get back to that as soon as I arrive in Sweden! So more updates to come soon, but we apologize for the lack of updates the last couple of days  Hand Thumbs Up Right
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: April 08, 2015, 07:09:01 AM »

Update 412
A plane is not the best working environment for deep focus-stuff, but it works for some easier things, so I decided to move forward a bit with a few things we've discussed. The big thing is the "adrenaline" system, where the player can get a speed/jump/general agility boost. I started on an implementation of that, but it's not done and also we still don't really have a super solid idea for how it should be triggered, so I'm going to wait with that a bit. One thing we want to do is to make the adrenaline rush somehow connected to catching bats, so they feel actually useful and hunting them isn't a complete shore. However I'm not super keen on the idea of getting the rush immediately when catching the bats, because I want the rush fairly short and it's not at all certain that it will be contextually useful in the exact moment you happen to get a bat. One idea is that for each bat you catch (or for each 3 bats, or whatever) you gain a Rush, and then you can somehow activate that Rush at a later point, without losing the bats in terms of food. This idea seems to make sense, but I don't know what would be a good way to trigger it. Currently the game uses only two buttons, and I'm hesitant to add a third for this single purpose, there should be something more elegant. It could fire automatically when a predator gets close, but I can totally see how that could be frustrating. So yeah, some more design thinking needed.

But, I got some new moves in!

Belly slide:

This is basically a more daring alternative to the backflip for when a lizard is between you and where you want to go. The main difference is that where the backflip takes you over the head of a lizard chasing you from behind, this is useful for getting past a lizard you're running towards. The game needs more moves that aren't jumps, as basically all you've been able to do so far is jumping in different ways, and I hope this one can start to fill out that niche.

Then there are also a few new moves for the maze parts of the game. Originally Rain World was supposed to be 50/50 platforming and crawling in mazes, but we gravitated away from that as the platforming was simply more fun. Part of the reason for that was probably that in the mazes you had nothing else to do than move in 4 directions. The game will never go back to 50/50, but James wants to re-introduce a bit of maze crawling for one or two of the regions, and hopefully this new move set will make that more exciting. Testing in a room that's only narrow corridors with a bunch of lizards has yielded hopeful results - it's a fundamentally different game, with a lower tempo and more focused on sneaking and thinking ahead, but it can get pretty tense as well!

First up we have two vertical moves. Hitting up+jump will make the slugcat heave itself upwards quickly a few tiles, after which you face a bit of a slowdown penalty, which is supposed to make the average vertical speed somewhat break even. This is supposed to be useful in situations where you quickly want to get up and around a corner to get out of the field of vision of some creature. It is also useful when getting up to a ledge where you can switch to running or some other "non-crawling" means of locomotion, because when switching you can sort of bypass the penalty and get a little speed boost. The other move was suggested by ~~ I think it was Christian, and is something very natural I can't believe I didn't think of myself - the slugcat just stops pressing against the walls and drops down a chute. You trigger it by pressing down+jump, and the slugcat will continue falling for as long as you hold the down button. When adding NPC hearing (which should happen soon!) you should probably make an audible sound if you hit the bottom of the chute without grabbing on to the walls first, as a risk-reward balance for the speed gain you get.

Then we have a much requested feature - the ability to turn around in a narrow corridor. You do this by hitting the opposite direction button + jump, or up+jump if you're upside down in a vertical chute. I've intentionally made this move super awkward, as it is actually sort of too cramped for the slugcat to move around in there, and you shouldn't go butt-first into corridors to begin with  Evil That being my main philosophy haha, I can still totally see how there are some situations where you're alone in a room with no lizards, and end up facing the wrong way in a corridor that goes on foreeeeeever, and it's just tedious. So here it is, at least it's possible now.

Last one is a horizontal "shuffle", triggered simply by pressing forward+jump. This one takes some skill though - if you just press jump at any place in a horizontal corridor, you get a pathetic little forward trust followed by a slowdown penalty that makes your net speed pretty much not break even. However, if you have solid terrain behind you as you hit the button, you get a good forward momentum with just a small penalty at the end. Basically the slugcat needs a solid block to push against. This one is especially useful when coming around a corner into a horizontal corridor, like so:

Oh, and also, now I'm home, so I'll get to skinning the cicada! See you tomorrow!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: April 08, 2015, 07:41:36 AM »

Segmented or plain? (All colors just mockups, tentacles will be procedural but I just drew something in there to get a feel for it, no wings yet)

The segmented looks cool, but the RW art style is a lot about flat colors. Also the finer aspects of the pixel art will likely get pretty mashed when things start to rotate...
Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: April 08, 2015, 09:00:10 AM »

Plain, without a doubt. Maybe a highlight on the tip of the tail?

Love the new moves. You can tell it'll all flow and chain really well. I can't wait to see skilled speedruns.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3450 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:07 AM »

I'm kind of torn. The plain look gives more of a squid vibe. A pattern makes it look more insect-like

Also will there be any co-op only moves?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:37:27 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: April 08, 2015, 09:31:19 AM »

Segmented.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3452 on: April 08, 2015, 09:36:10 AM »

I think plain for sure.

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: April 08, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »

Squids (actually cuttlefish) can do the flashing color change thing in real life. (

) I've always been reminded of them when I see the lizards flashing.

We'll probably be able to kick each other (to give yourself a boost like the horizontal shuffle here). Tongue

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: April 08, 2015, 09:48:53 AM »

So, just a brief suggestion. Something I noticed in the alpha is that there ARE multiple dens, but when you are well fed, and sleep in them after the rain, you still spawn in the original one. Could you put some kind of rough "save" system in place for the next alpha?

Also, for the cicada, segmented for sure. More "insect-like" over "squid-like". The thing already reminds me of some kind of alien mind probe, making it look more like a squid definitely heightens that impression.
Jeddychan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: April 08, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »

Either segmented, or some animation (like a cuttlefish color pattern thing or somehting) for that part of the body that makes it more interesting.

FLIPPIN' TABLE  TENNIS
(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ╯('□' ╯)
FTT Devlog

@Jeddychan
Lucs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: April 08, 2015, 10:09:49 AM »

Segmented or plain?

Segmented  Hand Thumbs Up Right
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: April 08, 2015, 10:18:43 AM »

Given the size, I'd say plain, but if they come in really large flocks that might "blob" together you might need some sort of segment or panel along the sides to help distinguish the outlines of individuals. If you need visual interest, perhaps an occasional vertical pulse of colour along the body?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3458 on: April 08, 2015, 11:14:51 AM »

wow that was a productive plane ride! everything looks suuuuuper good too Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: April 08, 2015, 12:16:41 PM »

Hm, 3 votes for plain, 3 for segmented... Maybe some more subtle pattern instead? The segmentation looks cool, but is a tad too visually busy in my opinion. I'll experiment with third options. Some changing pattern would be cool, but this is a pretty small creature that I don't know if it could make it justice, better do that on some larger beastie. Also I have some other plans for shader stuff with this one, and don't want to go totally overboard with the shaders.

Interesting idea!

So, just a brief suggestion. Something I noticed in the alpha is that there ARE multiple dens, but when you are well fed, and sleep in them after the rain, you still spawn in the original one. Could you put some kind of rough "save" system in place for the next alpha?

Also, for the cicada, segmented for sure. More "insect-like" over "squid-like". The thing already reminds me of some kind of alien mind probe, making it look more like a squid definitely heightens that impression.

Yeah the current alpha saves no progress at all. Trust us, when we've finished the game the game will be finished lol, it's just taking us a while to get there  Who, Me? Don't want to make too many promises, but I think the next alpha might have some more actual game infra structure set up, contrary to this "run around and see the creatures" sandbox we have now  Hand Thumbs Up Right Noted on the squid/cicada balance.

Given the size, I'd say plain, but if they come in really large flocks that might "blob" together you might need some sort of segment or panel along the sides to help distinguish the outlines of individuals. If you need visual interest, perhaps an occasional vertical pulse of colour along the body?
Hm yeah, the contrary argument would be that a flocking creature should perhaps be less visually busy? If I remember correctly, zebras have their stripes so the hordes turns into visual noise right?
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic