Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411667 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 08:37:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeYour Dream Power Up...
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Your Dream Power Up...  (Read 7171 times)
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2010, 04:13:54 PM »

We all have a power up from games of old we love more than any other, for me it would be the animal from Bomberman that could kick blocks and bombs <3

But what about if you could pick any power up, even if it doesn't exist? Not limited to one type of power up too. It could be a weapon upgrade like the spreader in Contra/Probotector, or a character power up like the Tanooki Suit from Mario, or even a more insane style of power up like Mario's ability to change the number of dimensions in the world in Super Paper Mario (not a power up really but for this discussion we'll call any upgrade to a basic character or object a power up).

Keep in mind this shouldn't be limited by the difficulty of programming or art or anything, this is just hypothetical fun, although who knows, some of us might learn what people are looking for though this! Smiley
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 04:40:35 PM »

Proper grappling hooks are always great fun! Flying is cool too. Really, any power up that lets you move around in a new way. They are fun to play around with!
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »

Proper grappling hooks are always great fun! Flying is cool too. Really, any power up that lets you move around in a new way. They are fun to play around with!

Quite true, I've wasted hours on Prototype just running over buildings and smashing traffic out of the way and I still enjoy it :D It's like one giant middle finger to all sandbox games that make you drive though traffic!
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:33:43 PM »

CHAOS CONTROLLLL!

Not a power up as much as a power, but hey.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 03:27:39 AM »

When a powerup lets me move very fast, or shoot VERY rapidly I'm happy. It's a very common upgrade but I really love when games turn it up to 11.

I AM FREE!
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:14:30 AM »

Can't beat the concrete donkey from Worms Armageddon.

It's a donkey. It's made of concrete.

How could any other powerup ever come close?! Cool

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 05:29:20 AM »

How could any other powerup ever come close?! Cool
I dunno dude...name me one person who didn't enjoy placing a stick of TNT on a worms head and running away? Simple yet beautiful...
Codestar
Level 1

One man, one game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 06:29:40 AM »

STAR MAN!

I want to look like a walking rave party every day.   Hand Shake LeftCrazyHand Shake Right

Check out my current game project:
Mine to the sky
Kekskiller
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »

I would like a power up that's able to morph bullets into ultra-fast growing squid monsters after impact on/in enemy.
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 07:22:52 AM »

I like powerups that have multiplying effects on other powerups. Like in a shmup where you can get one powerup that makes you shoot faster, and another that makes your bullets more powerful, and if you get them both you shoot faster and more powerfully.

That's a really badly written sentence but hopefully you can get what I mean.

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 07:31:46 AM »

I would like a power up that's able to morph bullets into ultra-fast growing squid monsters after impact on/in enemy.
Dude, thats sick XD but also quite awesome...and messy...poor squid though...

I like powerups that have multiplying effects on other powerups. Like in a shmup where you can get one powerup that makes you shoot faster, and another that makes your bullets more powerful, and if you get them both you shoot faster and more powerfully.

That's a really badly written sentence but hopefully you can get what I mean.

Ah I get what you mean, yeah power-ups with upgrades are pretty awesome :D
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 09:47:40 AM »

No, not powerups with upgrades. I mean separate powerups that do different things individually but combine in interesting ways when you happen to have them both.

I'll try to think of a better example: Again in a shmup, imagine you have one powerup that upgradess your standard gun so it shoots homing bullets, and another powerup that upgrades your standard gun so it shoots three ways at once. If you get both of these you shoot homing bullets three ways at once. On top of this you could have other powerups that increased rate of fire, or the amount of damage done by your bullets, and these could all combine with each other in various interesting ways.

I don't think I've seen a game that takes the idea quite as far as the above example, but now I think  of it maybe I'll have to make it. I do quite like shootemups.

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 09:57:11 AM »

No, not powerups with upgrades. I mean separate powerups that do different things individually but combine in interesting ways when you happen to have them both.

I'll try to think of a better example: Again in a shmup, imagine you have one powerup that upgradess your standard gun so it shoots homing bullets, and another powerup that upgrades your standard gun so it shoots three ways at once. If you get both of these you shoot homing bullets three ways at once. On top of this you could have other powerups that increased rate of fire, or the amount of damage done by your bullets, and these could all combine with each other in various interesting ways.

I don't think I've seen a game that takes the idea quite as far as the above example, but now I think  of it maybe I'll have to make it. I do quite like shootemups.

Oooooh I get you, like Kirby on the N64, where you could combine for example a snow power up with the spike power up to cause a spikey snowflake of death!
falsion
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 02:15:04 PM »

a girlfriend Sad
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »

That's more like a power down son Wizard

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 02:49:51 PM »

I'd love to see the 'Girlfriend' power up in a game XD it would slowly use up all your coins in Mario Sad
Kekskiller
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 03:09:39 PM »

a girlfriend Sad

Here's your girl friend power-up:

falsion
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 03:37:05 PM »

a girlfriend Sad

Here's your girl friend power-up:

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 03:51:41 PM »

Dude...I couldn't even watch 1 minute of that, I died a little inside Sad you...you killed me inside falsion...</3 Cry
falsion
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »

Okay I'll stop now. In all seriousness. My dream power up is QUAD DAMAGE. All other power ups are small time.

Being able to hit people with even the weakest weapon and make it feel like they've been hit by a train is a glorious thing. Powerups like that are definitely my favorite kind.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic