Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411663 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 04:43:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat do people use to make videos?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What do people use to make videos?  (Read 1953 times)
AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:13:23 PM »

My budget is basically zero. I was wondering what people use to capture and edit videos of their games? Including good codecs?

I have had a quick look around and I found a few things, but their interfaces were horrible and, in any case, all my codecs seem to produce ugly compression at any level, or simply fail to put the frames in the right order.

(I hope this is the right board to put this in. I had a look around and it seems right.)

Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:54:57 AM »

These has been a couple threads on the subject, such as this one.

I'll just copypaste my reply (with some additions) from there to here:

I use FRAPS wherever possible since it provides the most solid recording - plus the lossless recordings are easy to work with afterwards.

I've also tried Camtasia but it tends to be quite terribly slow and not really well suited for in-game recording. Sadly since FRAPS is pretty much limited to capturing DirectX games, you must resort to other means like Camtasia for some things. For a free alternative, you could try CamStudio.

For processing the videos I just generally use AviSynth and encode the video with x264 using something like x264 --preset slow --crf 22. I also convert audio to AAC with neroaacenc and then finally mux to MKV which can then be uploaded to YouTube or whatever.

Also, free tip: If your game footage has lots of stuff going on and you're going to upload the video to YouTube, I recommend blurring the video beforehand (if you know any AviSynth, the function you're looking for is simply Blur(1.0) ). It increases the quality on YouTube quite notably. For an example, you can compare these two videos:

(not blurred beforehand)

(blurred beforehand)

As you can see, the 480p quality difference is quite drastic.

Other things to note about YouTube is that it automatically decimates videos to 30fps, so if you record your game footage at 60fps it's a good idea to decimate it beforehand to save some bandwidth and encoding time.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 01:28:32 PM »

I make my code dump frames for me, then assemble them into avi using some ald-shool bmp2avi software, then compress it using vdub and overlay music.

This is best way for low-end pcs, since it will not drop any single frame

AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »

Thanks for that, Daiz! Also, Sos' idea is very clever.

Yeah, I did a quick search to see if this topic had been covered, but SMF (and any other forum's) searches generally don't give you what you want. Maybe, if this topic comes up a bit, the info should be put in a sticky of some kind?

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 05:39:51 PM »

Yeah, a sticky would be good. But until then:

(search 'video capture' on main index page)

Making gameplay videos

What do people recommend for video capture?

Recording gameplay footage

CamStudio and Aftereffects

Which screen capture software should I be using?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic