Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411669 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 11:07:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeVarying art design in game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Varying art design in game  (Read 3529 times)
CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:56:23 PM »

Hey guys, so im working on a side scroller shooter. Just finished the engine and is working on the concept for the stages.

Do you guys think it would keep thing interesting by implementing stages with radically different art style? For example, in one "zone", you'll have a 2bit stage. In another zone, you'll have a big pixelised design.

Would it perhaps make things too messy? Concerned

mozzy
Level 1

The Wild Thing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:58:28 PM »

If you can make it mesh together in a way that makes sense, then go for it. Style isn't only about resolution, its also about colors, mood, and placement among other things.
CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »

thanks mozzy... i think it would be better if i do an illustration :

The game doesn't have a story so it would be easy to jump between styles. But would it be too messy. Do you guys think it would be better if i simply use the top art style for all the zones?

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:35:48 AM »

Super Meat Boy does some really cool stuff along the same lines. There is a single (awesome looking) art style that works through the normal game, but in the bonus levels they are themed in interesting ways. eg GameBoy Color, NES that sort of thing.

Food for thought.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:52:06 AM »

I was going to suggest that you keep the player character always looking the same as a means to provide some consistency, but seems you're already doing that, so I'd say go for it!

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »

I love the idea.

Ideally I'd like to see it happen very gradually and subtlety, so you don't notice until you restart the game.

drChengele
Level 2

if (status = UNDER_ATTACK) launch_nukes();

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 05:20:36 PM »

I was going to suggest that you keep the player character always looking the same as a means to provide some consistency, but seems you're already doing that, so I'd say go for it!
Funny, I was going to suggest the exact opposite. Not that the current approach doesn't have its advantages.

Praetor
Currently working on : tactical battles.
CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 08:04:13 PM »

Glad you guys are okay with the idea! I think im just going to go ahead and finish it up. The idea i wanted to create is the exploring another dimension kind of thing, so i have the MC remains the same art style.

imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:52:14 PM »

This reminds me of the WiiWare title BitBoy a little. Never played it, but the main pull was progressing through the various eras of graphics from 4-bit to 128-bit.

The idea is certainly interesting, but if there isn't a purpose behind it (say plot-wise), it could just be distracting you from the important parts of your game.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 12:49:04 PM »

Personally it seems like it should at least make for something interesting for players. I wanted to do something similar for one of my earlier projects, but I've since parked it and been working on something a little less ambitious and more finishable.

I say go for it!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 01:42:04 PM »

Varying art works if it is separated, spatially or timely. The consistency requirement is only important for things that are seen/handled/worked on by the player at a time.

Level changes will achieve the separation quite nicely.

Per aspera ad astra
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »

Sounds really cool. Smiley

Ideally I'd like to see it happen very gradually and subtlety, so you don't notice until you restart the game.

There was a Flash game that was more or less like this, but I can't find it again. The graphics began super-sharp, then as you walked right they got more and more pixelated. It was very subtle, so you didn't notice it at first, and when you did it was a very  Mock Anger  moment.
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »

Super Meat Boy does some really cool stuff along the same lines. There is a single (awesome looking) art style that works through the normal game, but in the bonus levels they are themed in interesting ways. eg GameBoy Color, NES that sort of thing.

Food for thought.

Gish also did this. I guess it's gonna be a recurring visual in Edmund's games.
drChengele
Level 2

if (status = UNDER_ATTACK) launch_nukes();

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 06:54:33 PM »

World of Goo had those amazing computer levels which not only introduced new graphics but had additional gameplay shenanigans appropriate to the theme as well.

Praetor
Currently working on : tactical battles.
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 03:57:14 AM »

I really like the look of the illustrations. I say go for it! If you can find a nice way to transition between the different styles (I'd love to see a Gameboy level morph into its Snes counterpart or something like that) it would be really cool :D

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 05:27:45 PM »

There was a Flash game that was more or less like this, but I can't find it again. The graphics began super-sharp, then as you walked right they got more and more pixelated. It was very subtle, so you didn't notice it at first, and when you did it was a very  Mock Anger  moment.

Pilgrimage, right?

I think the most important thing is to make it clear what the graphics represent in each level.  i.e. make sure the player knows what's an enemy, what's a trap, what's a platform.  Maybe each section starts out with a little tutorial thing that shows this off...maybe it's the same in every section.  ("So that guy wandering back and forth must be an enemy...")

As long as you make sure the player can tell what's going on, go nuts. :D

jcsymmes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »

Ideas to consider:

A level with CGI Models of everything.

A Level with photo and movie backgrounds.

A level with just a voice reading what happens over a blank screen(alternativly an older gentlmen reading the action). You have to ocasionally press buttons as he dramatically says "The ships fly across the moons of the nebula, they come at you as blazzing stars across the bow...ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!
CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 02:15:20 AM »

That's some crazy ideas youve got there Tongue.
Thanks for all the advice! I think everything might just work out in the end Smiley.

AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 03:44:03 AM »

I say switch up the gameplay style for each level as well as the art style - the game can still get repetitive if it's the same thing over and over again but with different graphics.

Saying that, it could be amazingly fun, I don't know. Just something to consider.

Oh, and on another note, the new Spiderman game, Shattered Dimensions, is doing this - radically different art styles between campaigns. Looks good.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic