Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 05:03:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Hero Saved Me
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Hero Saved Me  (Read 4257 times)
increpare
« on: December 31, 2008, 03:58:17 PM »

The Hero Saved Me

A little rough around the edges.

Windows  zip 600kb
Mac OSX 10.5+ zip 600kb
Src  zip 200kb

(was also a something done with the 3-hour poppenkast comp in sight.  due thanks to terry for the windows build and the general chitchat during)

and: happy new year guys (in two minutes)
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 04:19:19 PM »

alleg43.dll was not found. :[

Don't have it on me.

Looks cool from the screenshot, though.

increpare
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »

Oh monkeyballs.  Apologies for that.  It's included now, and should work. 
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 11:15:04 PM »

Well, the game is about evangelization of the dying, right? But I'm not quite sure what stance you take on it. Likening a priest, or whatever, to an angel superhero could be taken both as exaltation or as irony. I guess that the character's lack of empathy points in the direction of the latter.

Good work!

increpare
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 01:53:33 AM »

Well, the game is about evangelization of the dying, right? But I'm not quite sure what stance you take on it. Likening a priest, or whatever, to an angel superhero could be taken both as exaltation or as irony. I guess that the character's lack of empathy points in the direction of the latter.

Hmm, not quite.  That wasn't really my line of thinking, though I guess that's what it might look like (That or something pertaining to the miraculous assumption, or maybe to the idea that he was saving people from hell (to which people who commit suicide are automatically consigned)).  I used the angel graphic to denote that a person has died (though ; I didn't think); I intended them to add some mystical, transcendental aspect to the game, rather than serve a directly politico-religious function.  Whatever, though  Roll Eyes
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:04:28 PM »

it's unusual. there doesn't seem to be any goals nor a point. the gameplay is simple enough to figure out without instructions, but as for a major over lying goal? not so much.

increpare
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 12:49:49 AM »

it's unusual. there doesn't seem to be any goals nor a point.
The gameplay-mechanic goal is to have there be no falling people left on a level (mechanicswise, when they touch your trail they change into angels and rise slowly up; once they reach the top of the screen, then disappear, and a new person spawns at the top of some other building).

Is this what you were wondering about?
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 09:51:19 AM »

The mechanic you described wasn't clear to me either from playing the game. It seemed that the levels ended more or less randomly.

From the technical standpoint, I have to complain about the controls because it seemed that while I was pressing right, pressing up or down didn't have any effect, which was annoying. Otherwise, the controls would have felt quite satisfying.

As far as content is concerned: as intriguing as always, and as puzzling. Now that you mentioned the heaven/hell thing, I can sort of read it in that way, but it's still strange... so the hero's power really is redeeming people/sending them to heaven? I don't buy into Christian dogma, so the entire heaven/hell/redemption thing doesn't resonate much with me. Whatever, I probably don't get it, as usual.
increpare
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 10:12:36 AM »

The mechanic you described wasn't clear to me either from playing the game. It seemed that the levels ended more or less randomly.
That's unfortunate.  I guess it's not reasonable to expect it to be too clear.  I only implemented it as a level-completion condition on a whim (I couldn't think of anything I liked more), so.

From the technical standpoint, I have to complain about the controls because it seemed that while I was pressing right, pressing up or down didn't have any effect, which was annoying. Otherwise, the controls would have felt quite satisfying.
Yeah; I toyed about with the controls.  You actually can change direction, so long as you're not travelling at full speed in a particular direction.  I didn't find it too annoying, and didn't have too much time to experiment with it.  Technically, I was playing around with using integer-centred movement routines; rotation, and the like, can be sort of awkward in them, so it was a little hackish.

As far as content is concerned: as intriguing as always, and as puzzling. Now that you mentioned the heaven/hell thing, I can sort of read it in that way, but it's still strange... so the hero's power really is redeeming people/sending them to heaven?
not really, no; what I meant to say is that that's exactly not something I had in mind at the time, heh.
equalsP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 10:24:48 AM »

It was fun and interesting, but I think there should be some way to lose, like a time limit, or you have to have a save/death ration above something. Also, all the levels were exactly the same except for the colors, maybe spice it up with different kind of dying people(?) or something so that each level has some kind of personality, and maybe some kind of progression through the levels too, like when in London the hero mentions he heard that Tokyo was in need, or something like that.

Gameplay wise, worked good except 2 things I noticed.
- Sometimes people would fall through my trail, probably because they body didn't intersect the trail because of the frame rate (?)
- When going left or right, to go up you need to let go of the direction button. It would be more fluid if you could hold left/right and press up/down at the same time, instead of having to let go and then push it again.
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 03:20:33 PM »

it's an awesome gameplay idea, but it feels like more can be done with it. for such a short development time however, well done.

also, fells somewhat like it should be played with the mouse.
Luilak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 03:31:51 PM »

I agree the controls feel a little awkward.

Other than that, really nice idea. I'm becoming quite a fan of your games, increpare. Abstract, requiring quite an open mind. I love it.
increpare
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 06:30:56 PM »

- Sometimes people would fall through my trail, probably because they body didn't intersect the trail because of the frame rate (?)
Actually, the collision detection is very weak; it doesn't check if someone has passed through the trail at all, merely that they have gotten within a distance x of one of the vertices in the trail.  So, if you're going too fast, you pass through.  However, to the extent that this discourages people from hovering about at the bottom of the map, I didn't worry about it.
Reiss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »

os x 10.5+ version crashes on launch?

sad  Panda
davr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »

FYI runs fine on linux if you comment out line 2 & line 854.

Interesting little game, though a bit short. I think it has potential. As for improvements I mostly agree with previous comments. Condition for winning is not clear, I just thought you had to save a certain number of falling people, until I read all the comments here. You need to add a way to lose (without potential to lose, winning doesn't feel as exciting). And the controls are decent enough, but could use a little tweaking to feel more natural.

increpare
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 02:21:22 AM »

os x 10.5+ version crashes on launch?

sad  Panda
Oh?  What system are you running?  And...any errors left on the console?  I'll check it out later...

FYI runs fine on linux if you comment out line 2 & line 854.
Yeah, I should have #ifdef'ed tem out, because I manually removed them for the windows build as well.  Most/all of my stuff is easily linux-compilable, I just don't have space for a linux partition at the moment Sad
Corpus
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 02:35:40 AM »

Crashes on launch for me, too (as did Lacrimosa).

I'll PM you the crash report.
increpare
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 02:36:06 PM »

mac build should work now.  Thanks for the bugwhatsit corpus.

(Will get about to fixing the Lacrimosa build later on tonight).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic