Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 08:53:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingIso-Point-Click RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Iso-Point-Click RPG  (Read 2596 times)
arcifus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2009, 01:30:21 AM »

Hi I've been working on a flash point click rpg engine with an isometric perspective. Since its suddenly and strangely become nauseating working in black box mode, Ive decided to ask for opinion and sort of share my ideas more. Glad I found TIGSource.

You can open containers, pick things up, interact with almost anything in the environment. Try walking out the door and having a chat with the residence guard. Once outside, you can rest your mouse on the frame borders to scroll around. The goals are to have a browser based fully interactive deep rich adventure that is really light weight on the CPU and bandwidth. Some pathfinding bugs appearing near large objects. You can play around with the actual engine here http://flashrpg.blogspot.com/.

Would love some feedback and ideas. Cheers.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 04:23:23 AM »

looking nice

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
increpare
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 05:10:40 AM »

Heads up: it is considered to be quite a polite thing to do to introduce yourself formally on the appropriate thread before posting a game for feedback.  Also consider checking out some of other people's games on the forum, and giving them feedback.

I'll check out your game now...
increpare
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:22:04 AM »

main dude holds his hands out quite awkwardly when he walks

i like that he keeps sleeping pills by his bead

once outdoors, the screen scrolling is a bit awkward; is there a particular reason why you don't keep the camera centred on the main dude?  If you like the scrolling, do consider increasing the hitboxes for diagonal scrolling; maybe actually making them visible parts of the interface?  Being able to scroll so much that you have your player offscreen is dangerous, especially when the 'move' command doesn't seem to work when you click somewhere far away enough.

I like the animations when people talk
I like the keboard shortcuts

Being able to click to skip through conversation more quickly would be good

the layering/mask/whatever isn't perfect; I noticed I could walk a little 'over' the end of the wall by the guard.  Also, something similar happens if you walk too closely to the back of a house.

I think using 'p' for 'pick up' was a mistake.  Then you have to use 'l' for pull, which means you have to use 'o' for 'look' which means you have to use something other than 'o' for open.  Consider revising ;P

I went to the court, and ended up...back in my house!  I take it that's as far as you've got so far?
arcifus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 05:40:10 AM »

Heads up: it is considered to be quite a polite thing to do to introduce yourself formally on the appropriate thread before posting a game for feedback.  Also consider checking out some of other people's games on the forum, and giving them feedback.

I'll check out your game now...
Aha.. missed that one, I shall do that, thanks.
arcifus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 05:54:46 AM »

Some really good points you have there, all of those things were starting to annoy me and you pointed out the problem perfectly!

main dude holds his hands out quite awkwardly when he walks

Yea he does =) I'm using this public domain tileset for all the artwork while I develop the engine... I suspect a lot more awkward sprites while this thing takes shape.

once outdoors, the screen scrolling is a bit awkward; is there a particular reason why you don't keep the camera centred on the main dude?

I was struggling with this area quite a bit, and especially in a non-fullscreen window, edge scrolling isn't the right way to go about it. I'll try the auto-scroll camera center thing. Makes a lot more sense since we don't want to be able to infinitely explore an area either since there is no 'fog of war'. Great suggestion.

Being able to click to skip through conversation more quickly would be good
Excellent suggestion. Will come up with a mechanism for that.

the layering/mask/whatever isn't perfect; I noticed I could walk a little 'over' the end of the wall by the guard.

Yea the pathfinding tile cache isn't fully updated with the area map artwork, will generate a fresh cache once the area is sort of ready. Nice catch.

I think using 'p' for 'pick up' was a mistake.  Then you have to use 'l' for pull, which means you have to use 'o' for 'look' which means you have to use something other than 'o' for open.

Will look into that, since open and look ARE far more frequent and important.

I went to the court, and ended up...back in my house!  I take it that's as far as you've got so far?

Yep! Is this the right thread to post an update once I fix things, add content etc?

Thanks for the detailed look and great feedback, really appreciate it!

Cheers.
increpare
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 06:00:24 AM »

Yep! Is this the right thread to post an update once I fix things, add content etc?
yes it is Smiley
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »

I like the engine! I suggest using a different font for when characters speak, as it doesn't fit the font used in the menu (and even if it did, it's kind of grating). Another point: the player's depth value is evidently greater than that of the roofs of the houses, as his(?) shadow appears on top of the roof when walking "behind" it. I assume this is the same issue was with the player appearing "over" the gate mentioned above.

arcifus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 11:28:58 PM »

I like the engine! I suggest using a different font for when characters speak, as it doesn't fit the font used in the menu (and even if it did, it's kind of grating). Another point: the player's depth value is evidently greater than that of the roofs of the houses, as his(?) shadow appears on top of the roof when walking "behind" it. I assume this is the same issue was with the player appearing "over" the gate mentioned above.

Yea its the same pathfinding issue. However it is important that you guyz take strong note of those visual aspects in which case I should go ahead and implement a proper height map so Fendrel can be seen actually walking 'behind' tall objects.

Hmm.. I'll try some font options. Thanks for the points!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic