Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 07:38:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpelunky v1.1 (and Source)!
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 228
Print
Author Topic: Spelunky v1.1 (and Source)!  (Read 1538476 times)
Bandages
« Reply #4440 on: May 30, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »

RIP Eegra :<
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4441 on: May 30, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »

Haha, sexist. The girl being treated as an object in the video game is because she's an object in a video game. Her purpose is to give the player health and extra points, nothing more. If you think that Derek put her in there because he hates women and sees them as objects, then you're pretty stupid.

Why didn't you say racism overtones? Black man with an afro? How about anti-semitism? Spelunky man (with his big nose) is greedy and obsessed with money and loot.

Stop reading too much into things you big baby. You can find just about anything if you look hard enough.
Bandages
« Reply #4442 on: May 30, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »

Thanks for being a douche. It really makes me want to listen to your points.   Hand Thumbs Up Left Wink
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4443 on: May 30, 2010, 11:17:39 PM »

The only reason I bring it up is because every time I show the game to someone they willcomment on the fact that the women are used only as objects in this game. Some will stand RIGHT next to the exit, screaming their lungs out for help, when they could easily walk away. You throw them at enemies, or use them to soak up arrow traps. They are "sold" in red-light "kissing parlors". Their only purpose is to give you one health, and you are rewarded more for sacrificing them to Kali than any other creature or human in the game.

I dunno, it's just a lot of stuff that doesn't sit right if you really think about it.

EDIT: Oh yeah and they run around with no sense of regard if you drop them. They will run into spikes, webs or whatever without any thought. At least shopkeepers jump.

Save 8 of them in one game, and see what happens. Wink It's not as unfair as you may think.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4444 on: June 01, 2010, 11:56:01 AM »

I also found it strange that the ladies seem to get knocked out if you just put them down, and then start running around crying.

Now, how about someone doing a Mac version with the source??? Tongue

Arucard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: June 17, 2010, 01:24:53 AM »

Now, how about someone doing a Mac version with the source??? Tongue
Been suggested, and discussed, but until a stable Game Maker for Mac I don't see it happening. If Derek doesn't do it, I'm sure someone in the community will.

As far as the sexist thing, it's also been mentioned, and played out in my opinion. Everything in video games is an 'object', and there is clearly no hidden meaning behind it. She is added as a game feature, you can mod her out if you want, though I wouldn't recommend it.  Wink
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: August 11, 2010, 08:31:09 AM »

Well, GM for mac is out now. Not sure if you can easily convert Windows projects to it though.
ExplodingCabbage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: September 02, 2010, 05:25:42 AM »

Dunno if anyone here is interested, but:

and

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4448 on: September 02, 2010, 10:29:30 PM »

The only reason I bring it up is because every time I show the game to someone they willcomment on the fact that the women are used only as objects in this game. Some will stand RIGHT next to the exit, screaming their lungs out for help, when they could easily walk away. You throw them at enemies, or use them to soak up arrow traps. They are "sold" in red-light "kissing parlors". Their only purpose is to give you one health, and you are rewarded more for sacrificing them to Kali than any other creature or human in the game.

I dunno, it's just a lot of stuff that doesn't sit right if you really think about it.

EDIT: Oh yeah and they run around with no sense of regard if you drop them. They will run into spikes, webs or whatever without any thought. At least shopkeepers jump.
You can also play as the girl and then the spelunker guy is helpless.

hi
Bandages
« Reply #4449 on: September 03, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »

You can't mod out sexism.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4450 on: September 03, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »

quick someone make a mod where instead of a kiss the girl gets on her knees and performs a certain service to the special part of the male body.

then Bandages will actually have something to bitch about
Bandages
« Reply #4451 on: September 03, 2010, 12:36:06 PM »

Sexual objectification does not require sexual acts to take place. I'm not saying Spelunky is a bad game or that Derek Yu is a bad person (I love them both). What I am saying is that there are strong, strong sexist undertones in the game.

Grrrbitchbitchgrumblegrrrr
iffi
« Reply #4452 on: September 04, 2010, 06:35:36 PM »

I have to agree that it is kind of sexist, not that it negatively affects the game at all (especially since you can play as the girl too). IMHO, it's actually a neat use of old stereotypes to create an interesting game mechanic.

Even though I haven't played Spelunky in a while, I really enjoyed Spelunky and played it for months after the initial release. I probably played it around a thousand times on various computers, and have only beaten it once.
Also, ExplodingCabbage, those are amazing runs you've got there. I love speedruns (despite sucking at them myself)!
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: September 05, 2010, 05:38:48 AM »

i think you're reading way too much into it

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4454 on: September 05, 2010, 06:51:32 AM »

Nah man, everyone bases their real life values on games about treasure hunting.

But on a more serious note: if you want to talk about real injustice, the game is cruelly prejudiced against cavemen, the living dead, yetis and aliens.  And what about all the animal cruelty towards snakes and bats and frogs!!

hi
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4455 on: September 05, 2010, 08:11:38 AM »

I find it troubling that archaeologists have so much difficulty securing grants that they resort to pillaging subterranean civilizations by themselves, with no thought as to the consequences of all those bombs, pickaxes, etc.

|
iffi
« Reply #4456 on: September 05, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »

I find it troubling that archaeologists have so much difficulty securing grants that they resort to pillaging subterranean civilizations by themselves, with no thought as to the consequences of all those bombs, pickaxes, etc.
Don't worry, nobody visits the same cavern more than once!
Bandages
« Reply #4457 on: September 05, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »

Laughing at an issue instead of talking about it just shows that you are incredibly immature. :|
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4458 on: September 05, 2010, 02:13:08 PM »

Laughing at an issue instead of talking about it just shows that you are incredibly immature. :|

Nope, it just shows us how uptight you are.
Bandages
« Reply #4459 on: September 05, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »

But the thing is, I don't really care that there are undertones to the game. It doesn't bother me, it's just something I observed. What does bother me is a total unwillingess to engage in any sort of rational or polite discourse into the subject.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 228
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic