Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 01:55:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFinding Contract Art Work
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Finding Contract Art Work  (Read 1709 times)
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2009, 01:18:39 PM »

So I'm busy pursuing my dreams of being a game designer and all that, I've been loving every second of it, but haven't exactly made any money off of it.

I know that many of you pay the bills by doing contract work for various game companies and I was curious about how to break into that world.

What are some good resources for finding contract work? I assume there are websites for these things that keep lists of potential employers and talented freelance artists, but I have been unsuccessfull in locating them via google.

Also, any other advice about finding contract work, how to present yourself and your portfolio, and how to get a good deal would be greatly appreciated.

I've found a lot of information on gamasutra and the like about how to negotiate good contracts and not get ripped off, but I'm not even there yet, how to I find the work in the first place?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:34:26 PM »

the only one i know of is the indiegamer.com forums, artwork subsection -- for starters you could post a thread there. although in practice most of it seems to be word of mouth (as with most freelance contract work), so by working for people and having them recommend you to their friends momentum builds up. a portfolio that includes finished games is probably a must, since nobody wants to hire someone who never did art for games before, so i'd say do a few for free first. that'd also help you get your quality up to bar.

EDIT: for pixel art particularly, i believe there's also a forum specific to that that adam atomic moderates where people look for work from pixel artists; i don't remember the url of that forum unfortunately, but it's something like pixelation

EDIT2: for more general work (it's a site that connects freelance people of all kinds to people willing to hire them) there's also elance.com

alspal
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »

yeah pixelation might be a good place to check out:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php
Brice
Level 0

Games are everywhere.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:33:06 AM »

Going to art trade shows can also help.  Setting up a website and portfolio, and sending your resume to companies, basically building a brand for yourself can help win you customers.  This is usually the road the concept artists in the industry took before they went pro.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic