Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 12:56:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSoftpedia
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Softpedia  (Read 1670 times)
trybaj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2009, 09:02:30 AM »

I just got a message from softpedia.com telling me that my un-released game is now available for download. They posted a test demo that I made available here to get feedback from other developers. I'm not upset about it since I put the demo out in the public domain, so I should expect it to get around. Also, it could be beneficial, since at this point in time, no one has ever heard of the game Honest Abraham.

Has anyone else had any interaction with softpedia? How likely are they to honor my request to add a note that the game is in development and link to my dev blog? How important do you think it is to retain control of your games? If you do think control is important, how do you balance that with the need to generate interest?

The email just got me thinking, and I'm interested to hear everyone else's experiences.

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:19:35 AM »

I know softpedia as the site that puts all my games on it with very wrong descriptions... They called the gutter an adventure game.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 10:21:13 AM »

they get traffic by putting up freeware and demos automatically with bots, so don't be too upset -- it's all automated

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:28:37 PM »

Wow, they never even bother to send me emails. You're sort of lucky in that respect, at least? Maybe?

And I think they're one of the shitty scraper sites that either thinks me and something called Radix Creations are the same guy, or that my name is "Ludum Dare". I doubt it's fully automated, though. I've had a bit of luck emailing these sorts of sites.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 07:01:19 PM »

They put both the Windows and Mac demos of Telepath Psy Arena 2 up today, along with direct links to BMT Micro for people to buy the game. I'm certainly not going to complain about it!

They also took screenshots from in-game with a character named Softpedia. They must have some pretty sophisticated bots if they can download games, install them, create characters, play, and take screenshots. Tongue

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »

I got a similar email from Brothersoft, it must be the same type of thing. The weird thing was that the email made it sound like I amde an account and submitted it to their site or something.

And Softpedia grabbed all of my releases too. Seems pretty nice to me, freely hosting some of my stuff. Linked to my site as well.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic