Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411591 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 05:34:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessStarting a game development company - would appreciate opinions
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Starting a game development company - would appreciate opinions  (Read 9328 times)
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »

I hope Muz sticks around and you guys learn to love his oblivious walls of text as much as I do.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2009, 08:57:37 PM »

...yeah, from what I seeing, I'm saying the exact same things everyone else is saying, yet everyone's assuming that I'm saying the exact opposite. Starting a thread about a business ideas seems to attract flames and a "u dont know what ur doing, noob" attitude. Oh well. Undecided

I came here not for business advice, but for an insight of how indie developers think. Nobody was wrong about pricing, it's just that everyone looked at the causes and effects from different perspectives. It is still a gamble, with odds too good to resist.

I've tried to make it with absolutely no risk to the developer, marketing benefits, and as much flexibility as possible. I don't see how to sweeten the deal any more. If you have a great game and get it on Steam, great. We could sell some extra copies by getting into the corners which Steam doesn't reach.

I'm sure there are going to be a few people willing to try out with us, and if we do a good job, you'd be sure to hear from them Wink
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:05:57 AM by Muz » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2009, 12:40:20 AM »

You're sure to fail with that attitude.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2009, 01:34:43 AM »

...yeah, from what I seeing, I'm saying the exact same things everyone else is saying, yet everyone's assuming that I'm saying the exact opposite. Starting a thread about a business ideas seems to attract flames and a "u dont know what ur doing, noob" attitude. Oh well. Undecided

I came here not for business advice, but for an insight of how indie developers think. Nobody was wrong about pricing, it's just that everyone looked at the causes and effects from different perspectives. It is still a gamble, with odds too good to resist.

I've tried to make it with absolutely no risk to the developer, marketing benefits, and as much flexibility as possible. I don't see how to sweeten the deal any more. If you have a great game and get it on Steam, great. We could sell some extra copies by getting into the corners which Steam doesn't reach.

I'm sure there are going to be a few people willing to try out with us, and if we do a good job, you'd be sure to hear from them Wink

Problem is you'll probably pick up the ones that didn't get picked up on Steam because of lack of quality. If you have a choice between Steam and your service the choice is pretty obvious.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2009, 02:00:12 AM »

I guess there's not much discussion left on this topic, just argument. It looks like it's on the way to a flame war, so might as well end this.

I thank you all for your opinions. I've taken them into consideration, but in the end, the path is still mine to take. No confirmation that I'll be doing this. I've flitted in and out of game development at least thrice now. It's a sad sign of how the industry is that when you sincerely come down to help someone, they stand ready with pitchforks, immediately assuming that you've come to rip them off. The biggest irony is that it's an industry that's supposed to make people happy.

I apologize if I've offended any of you. Thanks again for speaking your mind freely Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic