Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 07:09:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessResources for 3D Artists
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Resources for 3D Artists  (Read 1292 times)
imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »

I'm compiling (along with some fellow classmates) a database for 3D animators/artists (games and other fields) on helpful resources. This list may include but is not limited to:
  • Books
  • Periodicals/Newspapers/Journals
  • Directories
  • Websites
  • Jobs/Listings/Hotlines
  • Conferences
  • Internships
  • Grad schools
  • Professional Organizations/Unions
  • Production Companies
  • Training/Workshops
  • Film Commissions
  • Grants
  • TV Stations
  • Studios
  • Festivals
  • PR/Marketing
  • Practical Assistance Living in a Particular City
  • Sample Contracts

Basically, if you have a resource (or are the resource Wink ), list it, and give a description of what it is and how it is useful to someone wanting to make a living as a 3D artist.

I will be sharing the final database (and it will be made available on my university's website), so know that whatever help you give will help generations to come.

I mostly interested in getting into the industry, living arrangements (having never made a major move by myself), and how an artist copes being independent/being in an indie company.

Also, I don't have enough smilies so... Hand Money Left Smiley Hand Money Right

P.S. It should go without saying that I've already listed TIGSource, but I'm saying it anyway.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:57:23 PM »

Some training tidbits that may or may not be useful:

The Gnomon Workshop has excellent DVD tutorials, most of the instructors are very thorough and make things easy to understand.  They cover almost all industry tools but it can get expensive unless you can get them from a corporate/school/public library.  I watched a lot of the Maya and ZBrush ones from the library at work and I found all of them to be extremely practical.

The cheaper routes are Vimeo and YouTube video tutorials, there are quite a few to wade through that obviously range in terms of quality and content.  I learned Blender this way when I switched to free tools and it wasn't too bad, then again I had a lot of Maya experience under my belt.

imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »

Thanks Chris! The Gnomon Workshop is definitely a great resource. They even have a few free tutorials!

EDIT: The database is done. I just need to find an easy way to share it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:16:16 PM by Dorian Patterson » Logged

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic