Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 08:04:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessNitrome are Hiring - 20 / 10 / 09
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nitrome are Hiring - 20 / 10 / 09  (Read 6172 times)
st33d
« on: October 20, 2009, 05:58:25 AM »

We've got a couple of artist positions and a programmer position:

http://www.nitrome.com/jobs/

Please mail the company directly, sending me a message won't help but do tell them how you learned of the job.

Artists will definitely need to send good quality pixel art in their portfolios, and animations (a decent walk cycle is a must). Character design is also especially important.

Programmers will need to show proof they can work with AS3 and AS2 in the Flash IDE. Flex is great, but you must be able to work with Flash CS3. Technical demos that show off physics or AI will be greeted warmly.

Living in London or being able to move to London is a must. We can't design a game with you when you're in a different country. No, no, no, no, no freelancers or agencies. We can't afford you and our time is better invested in someone who wants to grow their skills with the company.

And of course, a love for making games is a compulsory requirement.

Thanks for your time and we look forward to hearing from you.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:05:38 AM »

I could apply for both the positions Well, hello there! and moving to uk would be a dream, but the flash games biz is not what i'm currently aiming... loved almost every Nitrome games

It's interesting to see a company making a living and even growing out of flash games anyway

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:08:03 AM »

Not in a position to apply myself, but if they want that ad publicised further it would be a good idea to include a salary range. I assume the programming job is pretty badly paid?

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:51:46 AM »

Also make sure you remember that AS2 and AS3 are different languages and that programming in Flex and programming in AS3 are the same thing Sad

st33d
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 09:18:16 AM »

Compiling with Flash CS3 is not the same as compiling with the Flex SDK. Being able to write in Flex is great, but the CS3 IDE takes some time to teach someone if they don't know it.

I don't know what kind of salaries are being offered for each position, I just thought I'd put the word out seeing as there's jobs going. This isn't the H.R. department talking, it's me, one of the developers here.

I'm sure if you get in touch with Mat or Heather they'll tell you more about anything you want to know.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 09:47:09 AM »

Yes, remembering CS3 and AS3 are different things is important too, so that being a Flex programmer means being a AS3 programmer but not being a CS3 programmer. CS4 uses AS3 too, as well as AS2, but AS2 is really only used by people that think CS2 is CS3.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 09:51:36 AM by Zaratustra » Logged

grapefrukt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »

programming in Flex and programming in AS3 are the same thing Sad

Flex is not an IDE. Flex builder is. Flex is a framework. Games are not made with flex (unless you're crazy). So, programming flex and as3 are not the same thing, even though all your as3 skills transfer over, there's tons more to learn when doing flex.

This is all very confusing, but luckily Adobe is renaming the next version of Flex builder to Flash builder. That should clear atleast some of it up.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:12:41 PM »

Games are not made with flex (unless you're crazy).

What makes you think I'm not? Remember, Flex is free.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »

Games are not made with flex (unless you're crazy)

Say what?
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 10:55:24 PM »

Games are not made with flex (unless you're crazy).

http://flixel.org/

flixel is not intended to be used with the Flash IDE.

On topic: man I would love to work for Nitrome... and I am just about to leave my current job.

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 11:18:23 PM »

Veering off topic here, but I really dig the site's background image.
I really love the work you guys do, and would totally apply for the prog position if I weren't committed to my own projects.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 01:06:09 AM »

Flex is not an IDE. Flex builder is. Flex is a framework. Games are not made with flex (unless you're crazy).

when you use flex builder you're using flex to compile, games ARE made with flex, unless you're stupid.

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 02:05:36 AM »

<pedantic stuff>When you use Flex Builder you use MXMLC to compile, not Flex... Games aren't made with Flex, people! Flex is a GUI framework that works with AS3 so unless you need all the GUI stuff and want to increase the size of your swf by quite a bit you won't be using Flex.

Games are generally made in Flash CS3, Flex/Flash Builder and FlashDevelop... all using AS2/3.</pedantic stuff>

Oh yeah, I would so move to London for this. It would be a lot of fun but thats not going to happen for a while at least.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 02:16:30 AM »

you use FLEX SDK to make flash develop and flex builder to work..
saying "made with flex" means you are using the flex sdk package instead of flash cs*.
When i say i made something with DirectX i mean using the directx api package, but i'm prolly using d3d mostly.
Flex is the whole thing, it has a debugger, UI apis, MXML\actionscript 3 bindings and so on.

Anyway, let's get back IT...

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 02:40:51 AM »

Well it all depends to what level of pedanticism you are talking at. There are many Flex Developers out there who would get far too angry at people saying "made with flex" without having used the flex framework. But yeah anyway I see your point.

st33d, how hard is it to find someone for these programming jobs? I would love spend a year or so in the UK doing flash work.

st33d
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 04:06:04 AM »

Flash CS3 cannot read the Flex meta-data tags used to import assets. Flixel uses these tags - they will NOT compile with CS3. So if you're using the SDK to compile, it's a Flex application - whether you use MXML or not. This is solved in CS4, but we're not using CS4 here just yet and Flex will be absorbed by Flash in the future anyway.

It's quite difficult to find the right kind of talent for the roles. The posts will be open for a while I'm sure, but even if you couldn't start for a while I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask. It's not like we're EA or anything.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic