Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 05:58:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1448807 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4160 on: July 09, 2015, 09:27:46 AM »

oh yeah definitely! that all has to be tweaked and re-balanced for navigating the open water swimming aspects of this shoreline region. right now its completely unplayable, lol

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: July 09, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »

Oh I really like this one!

Considering the Leviathan is still on the small side...
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

So, on the subject of this car compressor jaw haha! It's a tough balance for me, on the one hand I have my vision, on the other I of course take in what you say. It might be the case that it looks a little out of place compared to the already existing creatures, but according to me that's because the other creatures aren't enough like this, not the other way around. My idea for this world has always been a broad gradient of strange biotechnological stuff and less strange stuff, with something like intestines in a box on one end and an apparently all-natural leech on the other. This is the first one where I've really gotten some clear, unambiguous machine parts in (the vulture feathers are metal in my head, but I don't know about you), and I'm pretty stoked about it. However I can see that some of you might not be, if you started following this project thinking it was something else.

It was the same with the blinking lizard heads, if you remember? I had my idea, I knew what I wanted it to look like, and no-one agreed. To get pretentious for a bit, I think the problem is inherent to sharing an art process. Why do we make art - because we have some idea we want to get across where we need pictures and music and stuff, because words just doesn't work to explain this particular thing in its entirety. If James and I could write everything we wanted to express in this project, we would have done so, it could not possibly have been more time consuming  Cheesy

So, because of this, it's sort of by definition impossible for me to fully explain what I want this thing to be, because that explanation is nothing more or less than the final product. We're working our way there!

That said, it's definitely not impossible or unnecessary to talk about a creative process. And I really do value you guys' input, it has contributed to huge improvements. Remember a couple of weeks ago when you just wouldn't leave me alone about those water jets? Water jets now look 800% better because of it!

Also when talking about lore and world building stuff your input has been really valuable. But in this domain, James and I have to have the last word because, well, it's our project ~ The cool thing about being indie is that you're not trying to appeal to some focus group or something, after all! So, I guess we'll have to ask you to just trust us a bit here - we have a cool idea, when things start coming together you'll get a better picture of it! Maybe you'll be disappointed because it doesn't line up with the idea you had imagined for the project's future, but we can't possibly line up with everyone's ideas, so just give us the benefit of the doubt that it might still be a pretty cool idea regardless Smiley

TLDR; I hear you, but wait and see for a bit and I hope it will make sense. If it doesn't it's definitely not impossible to change cosmetic stuff later!

Update 452

Jaw slamming shut:

I've also made it able to eat creatures. Contrary to other RW creatures that usually need to bring their prey back with them to their dens, this one just swallows them whole there and then. Even several at a time!

CaLooch
Level 0

lost in thought...

View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: July 09, 2015, 11:50:08 AM »

I feel like im watching a nature documentary about lizards getting slaughtered in the wild.  poor guys

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4163 on: July 09, 2015, 11:55:50 AM »

This thing looks amazing, metal jaws and all. I say keep it and don't listen to the naysayers.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4164 on: July 09, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »

Okay, wow, the jaws looks awesome at regular speed IMO. Especially with the force of them slamming shut reverberating through the whole body

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4165 on: July 09, 2015, 11:57:39 AM »

It looks absolutely amazing! I'm a huge fan of Shadow of the Colossus-esque giant creatures and that fits the bill 100%!  Beer!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4166 on: July 09, 2015, 12:03:06 PM »

If Leviathan is like an ultimate apex predator, I'm guessing it eats vultures too right? Like a vulture is fishing for salamanders or swimming lizards and then...

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4167 on: July 09, 2015, 12:11:55 PM »

That massive sea monster looks absolutely terrifying. The atmosphere of these underwater sequences is great.

Saijin_Naib
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: July 09, 2015, 12:28:20 PM »

I had to sign up. I can't bear to creep all these amazing updates without saying anything.

First, I'm beyond saddened I didn't know about this game during its Kickstarter days. You certainly deserve the support.

Second, I'm absolutely floored by the amount of thought and detail going into every aspect of the game so far. The sound work on the lizard voices? Phenomenal. The vision system? Phenomenal.

Finally, I love the hybrid mechanical/organic look the Leviathan has now. I actually got the impression that the Vultures were hybrid animals as well, so I suppose that your art direction did communicate that effectively to me (at least).

Now, I'll return to creeping, but seriously, thank you both for your astonishing work. Just... wow.
jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: July 09, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »

Oh my god that is spooky.
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4170 on: July 09, 2015, 01:16:14 PM »

this animation technique is totally increadible, I really feel bad looking at this poor creatures being eaten by this monster.

Follow us on playfield
theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: July 09, 2015, 01:58:19 PM »

Screamy
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: July 09, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »

Are those alien words actually creatures, that would so cool if that was the case Tears of Joy
I fvcking love you Joar

Enough fanboying, I do like this sound

It's deep, it's scary and it enhances the atmosphere, kinda like a mix from a boat and a whale, organic but still uncanny,
Also, I would love to see that leviathan jump our of the water and eat the vulture mid air like a crocodile or something, also, you could make it even scarier, but giving her an uncanny look to her, such as a monster looking mouth or 20 or so eyes watching you or more spikes, the leviathan is the top predator and he must look like he isn't normal
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:37:15 PM by Whiteclaws » Logged
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: July 09, 2015, 04:06:50 PM »

Looks great at normal speed! Those jaws looked a little bit odd, but now I'm starting to see it better. Smiley

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Rojom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: July 09, 2015, 05:44:57 PM »

The name of the gfycat url is too appropriate... http://giant.gfycat.com/DisfiguredGreenKillifish.gif
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4175 on: July 09, 2015, 05:55:32 PM »

Are those alien words actually creatures, that would so cool if that was the case Tears of Joy
I fvcking love you Joar

Enough fanboying, I do like this sound

It's deep, it's scary and it enhances the atmosphere, kinda like a mix from a boat and a whale, organic but still uncanny,
Also, I would love to see that leviathan jump our of the water and eat the vulture mid air like a crocodile or something, also, you could make it even scarier, but giving her an uncanny look to her, such as a monster looking mouth or 20 or so eyes watching you or more spikes, the leviathan is the top predator and he must look like he isn't normal
What about something like this, but deeper and more disorted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ4g5NVWaVw&feature=youtu.be&t=114

Woodledude
Level 0

What does this text field do?

View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: July 09, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »

Woah, that's AWESOME!  Hand Shake Left Cheesy Hand Shake Right This game is pure, distilled endorphins in my bloodstream, I swear. These are exactly the kinds of creatures I would die to put in a game, and you've done it, Joar. You and James are amazing.

Speaking of James, the Leviathan's snapping has to be accompanied by a blood-curdling metal groaning or creaking sound, followed by a thunderous BOOOOM! I can just imagine it getting into a feeding frenzy, or trying to chase down a slippery slugcat...

"EEeee-BOOOOOOOMshhhh! EEEeee-BOOOOOOMshhh!" Tell me that wouldn't be great!

Ah, I'm getting excited, though. Joar, I'd love to see more mechanical aspects of creatures, and I totally think you should continue with your vision, because your vision is great and I love it. But that's just me. You guys decide what's best, me and everyone else are just here for consultation Smiley

Fledgling game designer. Be prepared for walls of text with little coherency and much rambling. Thank you for your time, and tell me what you think.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: July 09, 2015, 08:35:46 PM »

Aw thanks! Check this out then: Slightly different, I put the mic in my mouth and growled Tongue
https://soundcloud.com/chriswearly/leviathan-gurgle2

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: July 09, 2015, 09:00:37 PM »

snip

Great insight as always Joar. Gentleman

I personally like the otherworldness and the uneasiness invoked by the hybrid mouth, and the bubbling already adds a lot to the biting motion. Looking forward to more!

It does feel like an underwater version of those flash game Death Worms. And a breaching move by its size will no doubt be epic. Evil

By the way here's a video of whales almost devouring several divers. Love that underwater sound of small fish rushing towards the surface trying to escape.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Nilanjan
« Reply #4179 on: July 10, 2015, 03:42:12 AM »

Amazing work guys!!! The movement of the leviathan is so lifelike. I know that you're using procedural animation techniques but I was amazed to see something so lifelike could be achieved using physics. The movement of the fins/tentacles looks so organic. Are those procedural too or do you use traditional animation also? Just curious to know Grin
 Anyway brilliant job...Cheers Beer!
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic