Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 01:27:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Curious Expedition
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Expedition  (Read 188306 times)
RynnZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 19, 2013, 11:25:28 AM »

I hereby volunteer my services as a beta tester! Gentleman
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 19, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »

Have you thought about adding bigger mountains? Would be really badass to have a 7-tile monster sitting in the middle of the map, begging to be climbed  Evil
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2013, 12:36:42 AM »

Have you thought about adding bigger mountains? Would be really badass to have a 7-tile monster sitting in the middle of the map, begging to be climbed  Evil

We are absolutely planning to have things that span more than 1 tile.
However, we have currently not implemented that functionality yet.

Possible "large" structures will be:
  • Mountains
  • Large temples
  • Huge native cities

Besides actual "objects" like the examples given we'll implement a feature that will combine nearby identical fields into larger ones so we can have the graphics for tiles to be larger than the current one. This will break away some of the monotony seen in larger shots; however, this is a polish feature and will likely not be implemented anytime soon :-)

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 21, 2013, 01:12:24 AM »

I love everything in this thread! 

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: May 23, 2013, 04:33:29 AM »

We just wanted to let you know that we will be attending the International Roguelike Development Conference from 8-9 June in Poznań.
We look forward to networking and discussing about roguelikes. We'll obviously bring the latest build of the Curious Expedition.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2013, 05:12:13 AM »

just saw the Expedition as nominee in the bundle-in-box indiedevgrant, Now i don't want my entry to win. very best luck to you.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:29:44 PM by ananasblau » Logged

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2013, 06:16:50 AM »

just saw the Expedition as nominee in the bundle-in-box indiegamefund, Now i don't want my entry to win. very best luck to you.

Seriously, that is one of the nicest things I have ever heard someone say about our game. Thank you so much - I still wish you all the luck for your entry as well.  Gentleman

For those that did not see our submission to the IDG on bundle-in-a-box , find it here.

Also: Rat king enemy:

Rat king on Wikipedia

Brayzen
Level 0

@CurveballGames - Unity developer, hobbyist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2013, 01:28:44 PM »

Massive respect for working full-time AND still having the energy to work on indie games when you get home (I read this on your IDG nomination page). I do the same, and it's an inspiration to see the quality you're putting out with this title.

I don't often post on the forums, as I see a lot of platformers and the like, which don't interest me, but this project caught my eye. Looking forward to a playing this when it's fully released!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »

rat king, argh!

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »

A rat king is so gross. Saw one preserved in jar with formalin once.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2013, 11:52:37 PM »

Massive respect for working full-time AND still having the energy to work on indie games when you get home (I read this on your IDG nomination page). I do the same, and it's an inspiration to see the quality you're putting out with this title.

I don't often post on the forums, as I see a lot of platformers and the like, which don't interest me, but this project caught my eye. Looking forward to a playing this when it's fully released!

Thanks a lot. Yes, it is really hard to keep yourself motivated to work on a game after you're returning home from your 8-hour dayjob (and also not forget about your private life), but we really believe in our game and are passionate about it (even after working on it for over 1 year now) which keeps us going.

A rat king is so gross. Saw one preserved in jar with formalin once.

Yes, we somehow stumbled over this thing and thought it is way too awesome to not have it in the game  Smiley

siskavard
« Reply #231 on: June 06, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »

Thanks a lot. Yes, it is really hard to keep yourself motivated to work on a game after you're returning home from your 8-hour dayjob (and also not forget about your private life), but we really believe in our game and are passionate about it (even after working on it for over 1 year now) which keeps us going.

Wow didn't know this. Kudos to you sir. I'm doing the same.
Zarkonnen
Level 1

Games! Kittens! Wine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2013, 02:22:11 AM »

Looks really, really cool. Not just because of the rat kings, but especially because of that. No, seriously, a proper game about mounting an expedition is something I've wanted for a long time.

Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »

A little concerned about the colonialist undertones in this. But I suppose if you made racism cute enough...

Seconded. Game is looking good though.

Long edit:

Posted this at work earlier and since then I've had some time to look at the rest of the thread and hone in on the reasons why the colonial undertones bother me, personally.  There has been discussion about "advanced" native civilizations, and having racism and exploitation of native people being a moral gameplay choice. While both of those are interesting, they still don't address the main thing that bothers me. I'm uncomfortable because the explorers are all white and the natives are mostly black. I feel like that says more about the game's stance on colonialism and race than a morality system does.  I understand this is a fantasy game and the historical characters are there to add flavor, and there could be a thematic or gameplay reason why all of the explorer characters are white. Of course (more likely) you don't know of or aren't thinking about non-white historical figures that fit the theme.

Because you're taking suggestions for explorers, I'm going to suggest Marcus Garvey.  I had a couple of other historical figures in mind (W.E.B. DuBois, Harriet Tubman, Haile Selassie), but I think he fits the era and tone of the game the best.

Disclaimer: It's common on the internet to get attacked from bringing up race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc. in the context of games. See Massive Chalice and the controversy over same sex marriages for a recent example.  I am not calling your game racist or even saying I won't play it or buy it if you ignore my suggestions. Just giving you feedback on what I thought when I first saw the game, and hoping you will be open to it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:18:54 PM by Impossible » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2013, 11:55:40 PM »

also chevalier st george, was a master at everything, more like 18th than 19th but hey!

But be prepare a lot of backlash will be fuel by the inevitable naivety in the treatment, you don't really look like informed enough but hey! I reserve my judgement for the final product.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: June 12, 2013, 12:07:08 AM »

Because you're taking suggestions for explorers, I'm going to suggest Marcus Garvey.  I had a couple of other historical figures in mind (W.E.B. DuBois, Harriet Tubman, Haile Selassie), but I think he fits the era and tone of the game the best.

Thank you for your honest thoughts and giving the thread a chance to see all the aspects of the subject matter (we have talked about in public so far).

Marcus Garvey is an excellent suggestion!

Please keep in mind that one big aspect of the game is that you'll have a very wide range of possible explorers to choose from, and the ones we have put in the thread so far are just a starting point for us.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: June 12, 2013, 05:52:14 AM »

Honestly the theme seems to be playing so much on caricature and cartoony colonialism that I 'm not sure it's worth trying to help it, anyway you could include a fictional pirate/raider of eastern african origin (like sudan) to balance things out,
other interesting historical figures include:
-savorgnan de brazza
-rimbaud (as a traveller)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: June 12, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »

Honestly the theme seems to be playing so much on caricature and cartoony colonialism that I 'm not sure it's worth trying to help it, anyway you could include a fictional pirate/raider of eastern african origin (like sudan) to balance things out,
other interesting historical figures include:
-savorgnan de brazza
-rimbaud (as a traveller)

They actaully discussed some of the issues with depicting the colonialism era a few pages back. I am sure that they will have thought this through and make an interesting experience.
Your character suggestions were great. And I hope the developers consider putting them in the game. Though I do not think they should be in the game just to create some balance. Sometimes showing things how they were might just give more room for an interesting discussion than if everything is created with balance and political correctness. Humans seem to constantly need to be reminded of their past wrong doings to not repeat themselves.

Even if it is a cartoony depiction of colonialism I think it can plant some seeds and make players think about important things.

Just because I enjoy looking at WW2 documentaries doesn't make me an nazi, rather the opposite Smiley

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
lesslucid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 13, 2013, 08:22:27 AM »

As an avid admirer of Homo Ludens, I just want to say how amazing it is to see Huizinga's name come up as a character in a computer game. Awesome. Even if the rest of the game didn't look so excellent, I think I'd buy it just for that.
Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 13, 2013, 10:21:14 AM »

This project is so epic. I like it very much.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic