Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411655 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 01:44:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage Design
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage Design  (Read 181305 times)
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: June 26, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »

If you really want a horizontal one, do it like this.
A few blocks in different spots that act as platforms and move up and down a bit as the track does, and every now and then an Audiosurfer comes roaring through with a blast of music and collects some of them, ripping random platforms away temporarily, which will reappear over time.

A vertical-ish one where there are staggered platforms that are 'further away' but are really just higher could work, if the surfer comes out of the background to crash through them.

No matter what, it really has to look like the game or else it won't be Audiosurf.

Also, we can't just use the Audiosurf menu music for the level.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 26, 2010, 12:42:18 PM »

you didn't say why we can't use the main menu theme but anyway. "Circuit Breakdown" is a kickass theme, why do you think we can't use it? also i don't like too much your idea. Turner is not tridimentional on this game and i feel him right. Liero and the GK are not pixelated, but i feel them right. you can't say the thing won't feel right until someone start and finish the final design of the level  Outraged

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #742 on: June 26, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »

You can't use copyrighted music without permission.

And it's not about 3D. If you make a level that barely looks, feels, sounds, or acts like Audiosurf, calling it Audiosurf makes no sense.

AUST
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: June 26, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »

Having foreground and background lanes will just be too confusing. The Big Blue-style suggestion still sounds best to me.

Audiosurf Overture still seems like the obvious music choice for this level. It's a very good song.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 26, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »

You can't use copyrighted music without permission.
are we using anything without permission?
Having foreground and background lanes will just be too confusing. The Big Blue-style suggestion still sounds best to me.

Audiosurf Overture still seems like the obvious music choice for this level. It's a very good song.
K' but will the stage be random generated? maybe somebody can play Circuit Breakdown on audiosurf, tape it and draw the hall stage  Evil.....or maybe not  Big Laff

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #745 on: June 26, 2010, 05:45:28 PM »

Hangedman: Obviously, we will be asking for permission to use the music. So don't worry about it, 'kay?

Frikman: Of course the stage won't be randomly-generated. The whole point of Audiosurf is that the levels are timed to the music.

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 26, 2010, 07:05:27 PM »

As for music, if it isn't too hard for the game to randomly chose a track from the others levels and use some sort of timing data, that'd be really cool.  If all else fails, the Melody that isn't really being used right now can be used.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #747 on: June 26, 2010, 07:57:40 PM »

Okay, okay, I give Shrug If we can get the music, it will be super classy.

For the music, the real question is whether timing is truly possible, or if it should just be bumpy music and a bumpy ride that moves roughly to the beat, so to speak.

But I still suggest not having more than one surfer, to keep in the spirit of the game. I think making the note blocks the platforms would work better than making it just Big Blue X Tron Big Laff

Plus it gives you an instant hazard, and an instant hazard warning. Music gets a bit louder as surfer approaches, BOOSH, music fades a bit.

AUST
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 27, 2010, 02:18:33 AM »

If there is only one racer, it'd have to be a pretty big racer.

*IDEA*

Even if the stage is pre-made, the block appearing don't necessarily have to be (they are in the game, but it's never incredibly noticeable) and if we could make the ship in the game ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME, I.E, randomly colour blocks appear, and get collected and are held at the side of the stage, where players can stand on them, and then once enough are collected they disappear, so you must jump on the ship again.

Some thought about this idea:
-There would have to be only 2 or 3 colours, to make sure they can be collected properly, as the ship is only playing in 1 dimension.
-If the colours dont match all the way up to 6 collects, the ship dies and is no longer solid for a while, but the bricks at the back stay solid until it respawns.
-The ship would still have to be quite large to accommodate up to four fighters.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: June 27, 2010, 06:33:57 AM »

Why does everyone want the stage to be random? It goes against the basic premise of Audiosurf.

Having the ship play the game would not add much fun to the stage, I don't think. But one big ship plus some slowly-moving block platforms is a viable idea. I still like the idea of multiple racers better, though.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: June 27, 2010, 08:30:28 AM »

i like the idea of just 1 racer and i like the idea of JMickle, but to make that the ship must be ultra bigger and so the blocks. for now i think it's the best idea of all but you gotta consider that the scale of the stage (compared to the players) will be huge.

even with this proportions the stage looks nice and reconigzable but now i think there's gonna be a rain of "GIANT STAGES MUST DIE RAWR!" or "THAT'S NOT AUDIOSURF YOU BASTERD!" so i'm going for my umbrella ^^U

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 27, 2010, 11:06:17 AM »

I wasn't too keen on the idea of the ship playing the game, I was trying to think how we could keep it one ship. I do much prefer having more ships; means more platform space.

Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: June 27, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »

Frikman, for a stage like that to be viable in terms of playing space, the proportions would have to be blown up severely. I vote Big-Blue-esque.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: June 27, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »

I think the playing the game suggestion is a good idea. However, we should make it solo mode, but only have a few blocks disappear at a time, not all at once. It's not completely true to the game, but it would work better, and you could still tell whats going on. The blocks would flash for a few seconds before disappearing.

Semi-edit:
If you want it more true to the game, you could have it pick up black blocks, and have just the coloured ones disappear. the black blocks would build up gradually, but the racer could use the shuriken power to get rid of them. (I'm not exactly sure how the shuriken power works, as I haven't played the game, but I'm pretty sure it removes black blocks somehow)
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 27, 2010, 05:05:07 PM »

it destroys all the gray blocks you have on your lines.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: June 27, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »

I don't see how having the ship actually play the game would make the stage any more fun. It would just complicate things.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 28, 2010, 08:41:30 AM »

what you sayin'? with my draw that posibility is totally viable. i'm not saying it'll make the stage more fun or lamer but that way people will recongnize and feel the stage like the real Audiosurf. maybe if i draw it better...

you can't say something like this won't work and won't be fun. just look at it... look the way it looks into your soul  Who, Me?

Apoz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 28, 2010, 09:08:51 AM »

It could work... but it would require too much work, I think.

I'm all for being able to stand on blocks though. That would be the best way to make the stage Big Blue-esque without putting multiple ships, which wouldn't be true to the spirit of the game.
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: June 28, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »

Again, frik, the majority of those platforms are waaay too small to be considered "fight-able". And making them bigger means we'd have to make the ship bigger, and it's already at a decent size in proportion to the characters, I think.

I don't see how multiple racers are betraying the game's spirit, really -- you've got a pretty extensive collection of ships to drive in in-game, and the score system encourages a little bit of competition. As far as I'm concerned, a Big-Blue type stage would just be a more literal extension of said competition.
MaloEspada
« Reply #759 on: June 28, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »

I just wonder, would it be hard to make it Mute City-esque? I mean, it'll even be similar to the original game. There is a stage in SSBB that is like Melee's mute city too.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic