Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 06:53:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGp2x Wiz: the new handheld by GamePark Holdings
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Gp2x Wiz: the new handheld by GamePark Holdings  (Read 13191 times)
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2008, 03:04:19 PM »

This is looking really good. The only thing I see wrong is lack of commercial stuff.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 04:38:44 PM »

mame, megadrive, sega cd, amiga, all the atari platforms i think are better.... and even the 8 bit consoles on psp needed to be played with an high clock. Gp2x can emulate fullspeed megadrive underclocked at 140mhz (the default console clock is 200mhz) ;)so just imagine that the Wiz will have a 533mhz clock and a more powerful SoC on it!

Looks like I did get served (though that was a lame cat macro). I was going by what I've been told by friends, but it seems that there are some serious disadvantages to the PSP that had gone unnoticed by me so far. I didn't know that most emus needed an overclocked machine to run properly; that sucks a bunch.

Still, it's too bad about GP2X's price. Also, the PSP does emulate PSX, which is one of its main draws for me... (And a couple of original games.)

GPH listened to the users and replied that the 2nd DPad of the Wiz will be replaced with 4 proper buttons! AND the 2.5mm headphone jack will be replaced with a 3.5mm one (the standard size you find around).

Come on, now. If they decided on those seemingly stupid design choices I was hoping that at least they had a good reason which was simply not apparent, but they're so fast in backing down that it seems someone got fired. Lame.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 01:35:08 AM »

This is looking really good. The only thing I see wrong is lack of commercial stuff.

there is: http://www.gp2x.de/wiz/Wiz%20introduction.jpg

Come on, now. If they decided on those seemingly stupid design choices I was hoping that at least they had a good reason which was simply not apparent, but they're so fast in backing down that it seems someone got fired. Lame.

It's not like that, maybe they had their reasons, only almost all the international community and A LOT of developers have asked at great voice to make those changes, i think it's a pretty nice thing to do that only show that this time they cares about what homebrew developers and customers think.
It was not so fast at all, they meet EvilDragon (the german distributor)and he talked about it directly with the GPH Ceo, showing him how many complains there was by the community about those two things.
Maybe there was a reason for the Dpad but simply the future "hardcore" customers doesn't appreciate it and they were nice fixing that! You will never see something like that from Sony or Nintendo, that makes GPH a bit more "indie" than the others in my point of view!

About psx emulation, the gp2x doesn't have any 3d hardware, there's a psx emulator for gp2x but it uses a software renderer, so it's very slow, also, the psp one is directly made by sony to ship psx games and not by a lone coder Smiley
The Wiz will have more than the double clock speed, double ram, a newer cpu and 3d hardware, so psx emulation will be possible too on it :)and just think about all that awesome optimized emulators... running the gp2x ones underclocking so much the console will be very good for the li-on batteries  Kiss

I'll take it at launch, but as far it's not a know commercial brand such psp or ds if you want one, maybe it's safer to wait when all or many of the gp2x emulators\homebrews will be ported on it because the future of the console is mostly on the hands of the community
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:42:50 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 05:06:18 AM »

are there any side by side pics of wiz and gp2x? i'm interested to see how big the wiz is before i put money down to get it in my hands

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 09:27:25 AM »

are there any side by side pics of wiz and gp2x? i'm interested to see how big the wiz is before i put money down to get it in my hands

i did a comparison

as you can see it's pretty small, someone could prefer the gp2x but i need something to carry around also as mp3 player so i'm glad it's so compact

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 03:00:09 AM »

If it was as small as the Game Boy Micro it'd be a done deal for me. I love small portables.

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008, 03:42:21 AM »

there's not a big reduction in the screen size, and being OLED it should be much brighter, with richer colours and a faster refresh right?  and, more energy efficient?

I like that its smaller than the gp2x, seems more streamlined.

You know if the version of MAME that gets released will be a more complete version, or the same old build?

I'd like to know how well CPS2 emulation holds out on it, and SEGA stuff like outrun etc

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2008, 03:46:39 AM »

This thing looks seriously cool, I'm very tempted to get myself one once it comes out. Not that I'd really need it, but it's really tempting.

One thing I'd like to know is, how's the homebrew scene for these things? Are there actually good games being put out? Or is it mostly emulation?
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 05:36:14 AM »

there's not a big reduction in the screen size, and being OLED it should be much brighter, with richer colours and a faster refresh right?  and, more energy efficient?

I like that its smaller than the gp2x, seems more streamlined.

You know if the version of MAME that gets released will be a more complete version, or the same old build?

I'd like to know how well CPS2 emulation holds out on it, and SEGA stuff like outrun etc

cps2 is already emulated very well on gp2x using cps2emu (not Mame), but it will be ported too for sure, also the guy behind the awesome gp2x mame emulator is getting a wiz too...

There were some interesting games on gp2x, but mostly was based on portings (cave story anyone?) and emulation, homebrews were mostly little games but there was also some gems like Alert2x (a manic shooter), Fleshchasmer Zero (gb styled platform with cool zooming features) and many others, i'm planning myself a 3d hack'n'slash for the wiz Smiley

C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2008, 10:30:10 AM »

I already preordered a wiz and CANT F***ING WAIT

If it was as small as the Game Boy Micro it'd be a done deal for me. I love small portables.

Look at this: http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2511/img0232br3.jpg
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:33:57 AM by C418 » Logged

C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2008, 07:25:26 AM »

BUTTONS REDESIGN AWESOME

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2008, 09:30:21 AM »