Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 03:31:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTIGSTWG X: Werewolf Nation [GAME OVER: HUMANS WIN]
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19
Print
Author Topic: TIGSTWG X: Werewolf Nation [GAME OVER: HUMANS WIN]  (Read 47714 times)
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2008, 02:56:25 AM »

Ok, here goes. This is going to take a while.

First off: Sorry, Battlerager! You had been inactive all week, and I knew that framing you would make it nearly impossible to lynch me! Don't kill me! Cry

Second off: Cheater, you bastard, you stole my Eye. See what happened? Tragic.

Third off: KUDOS, Chutup. That was the best TWG I've played. I really, really love the idea of a "Master of Disguise". That was sweet.

Fourth off: Ok, actual explanations. I guess I'll explain it in some kind of blow by blow.

Day 0: I started out with a special power and an item, like all people it would seem. My item was the Horn of Yog-Sotthoth, which allowed me to move any person into or out of the town.

Day 1: Merryment and revelry among the Cultists. It was four cultists to five humans in the town, so we all thought we were invincible. I managed to get some people to vote for Nitro Crate (Who was a serial killer? Yikes). As I was the one to incite the lynching, I got his item, the "woman's mirror" as described by Cyber95 earlier. I could summon a Goddess who answers one question, but the question and answer are conceived by me.

That night we kill Melly, I think. Ho hum.

Day 2: Shinygerbil goes insane and accuses Hideous. I make a phenominally stupid move and figure out the cypher for all the humans  Embarrassed Hideous gets lynched.

Night 2: We go to lynch Shinygerbil. He kills Increpare, but the rest finish him off. I get his item here too. It's the eye! A special artifact that lets me see people, but if they die while I'm looking at them, I go insane (much as Shinygerbil and Cheater did).

Day 3: I look at Battlerager's profile and realize that he hasn't been active for a week. I decide that the best course of options now is to "play it safe" and work by myself from the shadows. I have Battlerager lynched to increase my prestige.
I get Battlerager's item, which allows me to summon evil demons outside the town gates for a day and night, preventing anyone from entering.

Night 3: I use my eye to look at Dacke. I'm confused by it, and decide that he's some sort of peculiar seer. Then, working alone, I decide to hit Lucaz next. However, he has the Non-Euclidean Angle, which traps me at puts me at his mercy. This is when things get interesting.

Day 4: I start the day by getting out of the Angle before Lucaz gets a chance to do anything nasty with me. I use my Horn of Yog-Sotthoth to escape from my prison and land on the beach. After that, it's a matter of getting myself to look good and other people to look bad.

I realized early on that there was no way I could target Lucaz and survive. I knew he was human, and if I turned the day into a grudge match and got Lucaz lynched, I knew I would just get lynched the next day. So, I decided to target someone else.

Increpare, before his death at Shinygerbil's hands, had revealed himself to be some sort of seer. Very early on, he had informed me that Gainsworthy was a wolf. I know had to convince the villagers not only that Gainsworthy was a wolf, but also that I was not a Cultist.

I started by making my "Astral projection" alibi. Since I did actually have seer powers, I could actually use that as a shield later. My astral projection story also gave me a reason to have left the Non-Euclidean Angle (attributing it to not being bound because I had no corporeal body). I sent some PMs to Dacke and Agj, who both tenuously agreed to help me, and then made the accusation at Gainsworthy.

It nearly worked, too. You guys may be dubious about how I only seemed to target werewolves and Cultists, but I'm fairly certain that nobody here suspected me even a little bit up until the moment of my death. Even Lucaz and Gainsworthy, who had the most reason to suspect, were at least a little bit fooled by my stories. Then I got killed by deep ones, and it was all over.

That being said, my main feedback for the game: It seems you gave too many items and killing powers to people, chutup. I mean, Xotes seemed to have a lethal device, Melly could kill, Gainsworthy, Shinygerbil, and Lucaz had a trapping device. I amassed some items during my journey, but I never got anything significantly powerful like they did. It's not that bad to tone back the special powers in the interest of balance. I had everybody basically under my control, and Gainsworthy ruined it all just because he had a better trump card than I did.

(Also, one last note: My special power only worked when I was dead. I had a brain in a jar. Even though I would be counted as dead, I could use it to converse with my fellow cultists even when I was dead. Since I was the last one alive, though... never mind).
increpare
« Reply #341 on: September 23, 2008, 03:04:00 AM »

good game dudes Smiley
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 23, 2008, 04:05:27 AM »

Rambling discussion of roles and rules:

I do agree that I had too many killing things in the game, and probably too many items. Plus the items were a little unbalanced. I distributed them randomly, but then fudged it a bit so that no faction was over-powered with them. What I didn't take into account was that not all items are created equal.

Nitro Crate's role was similar to a serial killer, except he only wanted to kill refugees. When all the refugees were dead, Nitro Crate could flee from the game like a thief. In retrospect, I am very glad he died on the first night or the game would have been even more of a bloodbath.

Shinygerbil's role I will take a moment to explain because even he didn't know about it. He was brainwashed in his past to have 1eet fighting skillz, but would never remember them until he was in mortal danger. If he was lynched, he would kill one of his lynchers, but if he was killed at night he would kill one of his killers. Regardless, he would still die. So he was a bit of a ticking time bomb who could punish either faction depending on how things went.

There was also another rule I had in place that never activated: Similar to the Call of Cthulhu RPG, I would punish players with madness if they used too many items (3 or more). The thing about the Eye conferring madness was added later since I thought madness was a great idea but wasn't too likely to occur through the three-strikes rule.
For purposes of the three strikes, the Eye would only count as one strike however many times you used it, and the Codex would count as one strike as soon as you read it. If Valter hadn't been killed by Gainsworthy, I imagine he would have gone insane by the end of the game due to his large stash of items. That would probably have helped him, though, since people seemed to believe at that point that Shinygerbil's madness had actually been caused by the Cultists.

The Gentleman Thief was originally going to be just a normal Thief. But when I rolled that it would coincide with the Dignitary role, and that Terry was playing it, I made a minor modification: Whenever he stole something, the Gentleman Thief would leave a calling card of a white rose. I forgot to tell Terry that, though, and since he died so early I never bothered to.

Speaking of Terry, I feel a bit sorry for him since he stood out through no fault of his own, due to having a large role in the 'opening cinematic'. Shinygerbil, with absolutely no evidence on the first night, unsurprisingly chose to scry Terry. Although in the end it wasn't Shinygerbil who brought about Terry's demise.

I see that Increpare was wisely using his werewolf connection to pretend to be a seer. It's a pity that he got killed by Shinygerbil (btw, the Cultist that Shinygerbil killed was chosen at random) because I had planned a mouth-vomit-inducing marriage proposal scene for the Lovers if they won.

I'm sorry about the confusion regarding items and role clues. Things that dropped out of peoples' pockets after they were dead (Terry's jewels, Melly's shotgun, the seers' mirrors etc) were not items, just clues to the player's role. Items passed on secretly to the killer, or the person who first voted to lynch them. Cyber95 obviously came to think that Lucaz's mirror was the one referred to in his Necronomicon. So, sorry about that.

Also, Xotes' power was quite benevolent and not actually very powerful. All it did was give a bomb to any thief who stole from him. The bomb would then blow them up in one day, unless it changed hands again. I would really have liked to see the bomb change hands repeatedly, but it didn't happen.

If I ever host a game again, I would like to go in the opposite direction to this one and try to eliminate as many killing powers as possible, or offset them with resurrection powers (though resurrection inevitably favours the humans in a cardflip game). 

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2008, 04:33:04 AM »

Valter, if I may ease your posthumous tensions somewhat, a seer had already observed you, and thus I had already observed you. We knew you were a cultist. We even knew you were really a brain in a jar. (and by knew I mean hoped and hoped). I don't know why I was the only one voting, though.

And, as for the Salt, it was somewhat... flawed. You see, had I been incorrect, and used it on a non-cultist, consider the situation. I had just summoned a Deep One to openly slay someone speaking out against me. On a whim. Something a desperate cultist wanting one more day would do, I say. Would have gotten me killed quick smart.

To be honest, I held on till the (actual) last minute to use the it. I didn't want to use it yet. In fact, I didn't even want you out - my (broken?) logic told me you wouldn't want to kill your scapegoat, and I'd be safe until at least the next day.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2008, 04:37:46 AM »

Good game! Beer!

Yeah as well as being a Conditioned Killer I also had the item which allowed me to see through anyone's eyes. I got the misfortune of seeing a dead person on the first night, and I was told I caught a glimpse of Hideous. "Going Insane" meant only being able to communicate with vowels; luckily, Hideous' name contains quite a few of them.

Interestingly, just before the second night began, increpare sent me a PM saying that my life was in great danger and that Gainsworthy was a wolf. I took the precaution of Seeing increpare that night - and saw him marching straight towards my door. Lips Sealed

(by the way, I thought it was the fact that I saw them coming which meant I was able to kill increpare - not a special role Tongue)

olücæbelel
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 23, 2008, 04:47:40 AM »

Xion... was USING US? He just told The Wolves and I that he had an unknown contact in the Village. Intrigue witihn intrigue.

Sad

Oh, by the way Shiny, I had you pinned as a Cultist. Bodgy Vision. Tentacles. Dancing. Funny Architecture. Funny that.

AND! Chutup, I just remembered a bug. Pretty much all of us Wolves seemed to be under the initial impression we could kill folks in the Village as well as on the Beach. And that we were under threat from those within as well.

EDIT, Pertaining to Below: Yes, you did. Didn't seem to click with most of us, though. I saw it, but there was still discussion on knocking off ShinyGerbil (sorry!) and such.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:34:30 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 23, 2008, 05:28:26 AM »

Really? I thought I added this paragraph to all your role messages:

When killing with your pack, you may only kill players in the same sphere as you (that is, the Town or the Beach). If the Werewolves are split between the Town and the Beach, they may kill in either sphere, but may still only kill once per night.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 23, 2008, 06:22:26 AM »

It sort of makes me feel better that everybody already knew I was a cultist. I thought that I had victory in my grasp, only to get knocked out on the whim of yet another murderous doodad.

I had some PM conversations with Lucaz after he died, and was surprised to know that he was actually the seer. I figured that he would have revealed me sooner or later anyway, and I had intended to target Dacke the night that I died.

I still feel like I would have been able to get away with it, though. By being responsible for the lynchings of a werewolf and a cultist, and having "proved" that I had seer powers, I really thought I was untouchable.

Items and special roles always become a problem in games like these. It's just annoying to have the cultists more scared of being killed at night than the villagers are  Tongue

However, that game was a lot more fun than the rest of TWG I've played here. The mirrors, the "Master of Disguise" and the eye were all things I liked. There was more emphasis on deceit and intrigue than usual, which was good. Most online games of TWG just boil down to people making random accusations, or only acting on "safe bets" from seers. This game actually had a lot more things that swayed the public opinion towards or away from you.

I definitely would have gone insane, by the end. I had been hoping to use my fake mirror to frame someone on the last day, and keep the evidence away from me. It would have been amusing to summon the goddess to ask a question, and then realize that I couldn't actually articulate the question anymore  Tongue
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 23, 2008, 07:06:43 AM »

I think if it weren't for Gainsworthy, you probably would have won, Valter. If you'd targeted Dacke, you would have got him and Agj in one sweep. Through most of the game I was thinking "OK, somebody attack the Master of Disguise. I don't care if you kill him or give away your identity to him. Just do something."
I also thought that they walked a fine line by always voting together. It could easily have been construed as malicious gang voting, but I guess nobody suspected them because they were from opposite sides of the wall.

I thought about many possible outcomes for the game and how I would write them if they came to pass. My favourite possibility was that all the werewolves and cultists died except for Xion and Increpare, allowing them to kill two people every night. I really would like to see a game where the lovers win - they always seem to end up dead in the games I've played, but I do believe it's just bad luck rather an inherent flaw.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 23, 2008, 07:23:15 AM »

This was amazing! Very well executed, very balanced, a ton of fun. Cheers, chutup!

Yeah, I had the Boots of Ithaqua. I originally intended to pretend I was mad like shiny and Cheater, but I didn't realize I should have told chutup about my plans and he ended up making me speak :D I shouldn't have invented such a fantastic story, but whatever now.

As for my role - I was the Boss Wolf, meaning that if we wolves disagreed about who to eat, my vote would weigh double. Not particularly useful, but my item was.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 23, 2008, 07:42:11 AM »

Yay, we won! A big thanks to agj, you awesome imaginary person!

GeneralValter, you were quite the impressive cultist! I didn't fully trust you, but I trusted your claim that Gainsworthy was a wolf. I can't say I suspected you much with all the cultist lynchings, but felt that your story was kind of flawed so I would have kept my eye on you. Except you were planning to kill me during the night, so my eyes would probably have been in your stomach!

If you thought the item-distribution was unfair, you should know that agj and I managed to win without getting to touch a single item or having a single killing-power (except me being the official bouncer).

My biggest slip-up was probably removing my vote for you Gainsworthy, after you summoned the Deep Ones, even though I suspected you quite a bit. I was too stressed to think clearly at that point and I only had a few minutes to decide what to do. I decided to take the safe road and let you live, but at least we got you later, and I think I managed to make you believe I trusted you? But we were far from playing you perfectly, we were sure the wolf (you) would try to kill agj the last night but you took out cyber95 instead. How come?

We actually tried our best to get agj killed, but had no success.

chutup, we didn’t think that the cultists caused the insanity. Thanks to cyber95 we learnt about shinygerbil’s item pretty early on.

chutup, thank you for making the losing of my TWG virginity a memorable event!

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 23, 2008, 07:47:04 AM »

I didn't understand why I was killed either. Sure, I was the ninja (oh, and I made a wrongful kill at one point, sorry about that), but I had no idea who was who at pretty much any point, and since I already revealed the book's contents, I had nothing more to reveal. I wasn't really in any position to hurt anyone after that point.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 23, 2008, 08:21:07 AM »

I didn't understand why I was killed either. Sure, I was the ninja (oh, and I made a wrongful kill at one point, sorry about that), but I had no idea who was who at pretty much any point, and since I already revealed the book's contents, I had nothing more to reveal. I wasn't really in any position to hurt anyone after that point.

One of us - I think it was Gains himself - suspected you were a werewolf hunter or something. I don't know why.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 23, 2008, 09:17:22 AM »

So guys, I was human.

Yeah, that's all Sad

Great game, chutup.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 23, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »

So guys, I was human.

Yeah, that's all Sad

Great game, chutup.

Heh, yeah. Sorry for that wall-flinging-business, but we had to protect ourselves. If it had turned out that you were the wolf you would have instantly wolf-snacked us after we killed Gainsworthy. Our plan was to let the Deep Ones night-kill you if you were a wolf and we hoped chutup would let you live otherwise. Luckily he did! Win!

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 23, 2008, 10:42:50 AM »

So, who's going to host the next one? I'm rarin' to try again Evil
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 23, 2008, 10:54:09 AM »

chutup, how did the loot distribution work when people died and left things behind?

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: September 23, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »

Great game Chutup! Five deas in one night. Just awesome.

As you all know, I was the seer, and I haad the non-euclidean angle in my house. Most days I didn't had much idea of what to do, I knew the identity of one wolf and no cultist, and the wolf never got into town, and I didn't want to be too obvious, telling everyone I knew Kao was a wolf in the second day.

The first day I scryed Kao, without realising I couldn't vote for him. The second day it was Melly, and saw him when he died. Then I choosed Dacke, and I saw a scene of him and agj. I suspected it was pretty much like it actually was, but it wasn't important for me at the moment. I was sure there was one cultist, and one wolf or none inside the town, so I was safe, if I revelaed being a seer, or was too obvoius on that matter, as any attacker would fall in the trap, withpout anyone to help him out. So I told everyone about Kao, and everything worked out as planned (except noone lynching Kao), as Valter, the last cultist fell in my trap. The last night I choosed Cyber95, again nothing important.

That last day, my plan was to vote on Gainsworthy, and then scry Valter, and tell about my abilities to the ones I knew humans. After Valter died, the plan was the same, as I still kinda trusted his accusation on Gainsworthy. But I wasn't able to post later that day, so I couldn't vote, and I got lynched.

Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 23, 2008, 12:33:28 PM »

Valter I actually had you pegged as a Cultist from day one when you tossed the stew and beer over the wall and suddenly Gains wandered off to some cave (I still want to know what was up with that!). I second guessed myself based on your accuracy in lynchings though, so kudos on that one.

Also, I totally didn't know that PM'ing people was allowed, probably due to the fact that this was my first online game of werewolf.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: September 23, 2008, 12:35:21 PM »

Xion... was USING US? He just told The Wolves and I that he had an unknown contact in the Village. Intrigue witihn intrigue.
Yes, yes I was. Increpare and I shared the identities of our allies with one another early on, and my whole purpose was to infiltrate the town, along with you guys, my fellow wolves, and feed you information that would lead you to kill off all cultists but increpare, who would do the same with his team, until all that were left was us and the humans, whom we'd demolish (I assume that, by the time we got rid of all our team mates, the humans would also be too few, so we'd just overpower them). Had it all planned out, too - I was sure it was a foolproof plan, but I didn't take into account the possibility of Increpare's death, as I, the only wolf in town, was certainly not going to harm him Kiss. My biggest fear was being seen.
I didn't think there would be any non-cultist threats, as I correctly assumed the vigilante had died early on (Melly), and didn't think there would be more than one human killer. Oh well.

Also, we totally meant to and decided on killing Xotes the first killing-night, but none of us PM'd chutup with our decision, it seems. I think it would have been a very different game had we eliminated him as planned, as we would have figured out that he was, in fact, NOT a seer, as we had him pegged for half the game as.

Great job, Chutup. Awesome town mechanics and factions. Beer! Beer! Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic