Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:35:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMega Man 9 Impressions
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Mega Man 9 Impressions  (Read 8799 times)
jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 07:12:55 AM »

It apparently was released on German WiiWare today. I don't know if Nintendo's summing up regions like Sony does, but if they, it should be out in the UK then, too.

Movius
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 10:11:09 AM »

fucking spike balls and fucks knocking me into pits and cunts hiding beneath their little mining helmets can fuck right off.

game is great, just what i was hoping for.
Nekura
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 08:13:50 PM »

I think I've realized what makes this game so good: level design.

The gameplay itself is so simply, but the levels have been designed so well that you never notice.

Because of this, I'm starting to wonder if developers have been using complex gameplay as a way to not need as well designed levels.

Precisely what I was thinking.  It doesn't matter that the graphics aren't HD, or that you're only pressing two buttons, plus the d-pad... the game is just plain fun.  The difficulty factor isn't something that can't be overcome with practice.  I actually find the MegaMan games somewhat easier to master than the old Marios (not actually claiming that I've mastered either, more along the lines of dieing less).

If you enjoyed MM1 or 2, this is a MUST BUY, in my opinion.  If you've never tried a MegaMan game, this is a great place to start.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 08:52:03 PM »

I don't think it looks as good as MM2.
I agree about the level design, though.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 10:32:06 PM »

I don't think it looks as good as MM2.
I agree about the level design, though.
Hmm, interesting.  I've heard a lot of little graphics complaints and quite frankly I don't get it; I thought the graphics were completely fine.  Not better than MM2 or anything, but certainly not worse; and that's especially true for that earlier comment about the bosses' sprites.

I think we could all learn a lot from those levels...
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 04:35:33 AM »

It doesn't matter that the graphics aren't HD

Playing on the PS3, my television tells me that it's running at 1080p.  It amuses me that virtually no games which claim to be "High Def" actually run at that resolution, but MM9 quite happily does so.
Capten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 10:47:38 AM »

From what I've seen on screenshots, some of the platform tiles just lack detail when compared to other 8-bit Mega man games. Not that I have a problem with it, just pointing that out.

I'd really love to play this game but I don't have any of the current gen home consoles and I already have too many consoles  Sad. I think I'll just have to tell my cousin to buy it even though he's not much into retro gaming  Tongue.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 10:50:50 AM by Capten » Logged
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 10:51:44 AM »

So I am really wondering what Capcom was thinking with this retro approach. Alright I get to keep Rush Coil, I like that. However I don't get slide or charge buster!? Why?

Then in an effort to piss me off they kept the MM7 addition, Auto's shop. Excuse me while I am baffled. We are taking features that were made standard in MM3 and 4, removing them while keep features that were not standard until MM7...

And don't get me started on having to pay for hard mode...

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »

even in normal game to game sequel franchises features are removed and given this is not that crazy.

but on the subject, i want to play it but i have no wifi to acquire it.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 01:53:23 PM »

even in normal game to game sequel franchises features are removed and given this is not that crazy.

but on the subject, i want to play it but i have no wifi to acquire it.

Hey Annabelle, do you have a wired 360? It's coming this Wednesday if you do.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 02:40:55 PM »

Why on earth anyone would play it on the 360, with its horrible dpad, is beyond me.
ANNABELLE SEND ME YOUR WII, I'LL GET IT FOR YOU!

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »

@andy: haha id never buy an xbox.

@tantan: and i don't know....... haha i will probably be visiting someone with wifi eventually don't worry!
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 04:59:10 PM »

You've definitely got my respect for that comment.  Grin

Well, hope you get to that friend's house soon, because you'll have a great time once you start playing.  I still haven't won thanks to my architecture studio class...I have almost finished it in what little spare time I have though (I'm on Castle Stage 3).

Also, one of the best things about MM9 is that even in the castle levels it's still referencing the old games (and even some from other, newer MM series).  For instance, the wind platforms on the first castle level were taken directly from the fairly recent ZX.  They were fairly underused in that game, so it was nice that a whole segment of the castle used them here.  And two of the bosses are almost direct copies of Zero series characters (Tornado Man = Harpuia; Splash Woman = Leviathan).
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2008, 05:09:45 PM »

What about a PS3, Annabelle? :3 and yay for Nintendo Fanboys
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2008, 05:18:28 PM »

Sorry to derail the thread, but Andy, given that you "love the powerglove", do you love GlovePIE too?

And yay for (old) Nintendo too!  New Nintendo...well...I'm not as exited about.  They've done a great job providing hardware, but I've had to use GlovePIE to put that hardware to good use (aka: use to play PC/indie games).  Is a new F-Zero game (DS or Wii) really too much to ask?  And more Metroid?
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2008, 10:02:13 PM »

new nintendo may be stupid.. but...

they'll come around.. give them time.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2008, 10:21:03 PM »

I sure hope you're right.  And like I said, their new hardware is great; best in the industry (Audiosurf on Balance Board = Awesome!), it's just the software to go along with it that's been lacking (with a few exceptions, of course).
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 02:23:23 AM »

I sure hope you're right.  And like I said, their new hardware is great; best in the industry (Audiosurf on Balance Board = Awesome!), it's just the software to go along with it that's been lacking (with a few exceptions, of course).

Nintendo has always been like this... my beloved powerglove is just an example. They have always thought outside the box with their products. Nintendo takes their time with their development, they aren't afraid to be the last ones to come into a new trend, too. Like, moving into the 16-bit era with the SNES.

The Wii is a great console, it's just they have the wrong attitude with making family gaming... Or maybe they have the right idea and because we're the hardcore gamers we're the ones with the problem with it, and notice it? I don't know. But Nintendo will realize it's flaws and mistakes and build on them, like in the past.
Movius
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 02:47:37 AM »

Mistakes?

The DS and Wii are like a license to print money. I hardly think Nintendo would consider that a mistake.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 12:57:12 PM »

Nintendo has always been like this... my beloved powerglove is just an example. They have always thought outside the box with their products. Nintendo takes their time with their development, they aren't afraid to be the last ones to come into a new trend, too. Like, moving into the 16-bit era with the SNES.

The Wii is a great console, it's just they have the wrong attitude with making family gaming... Or maybe they have the right idea and because we're the hardcore gamers we're the ones with the problem with it, and notice it? I don't know. But Nintendo will realize it's flaws and mistakes and build on them, like in the past.
The powerglove was Mattel, iirc.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic