Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 05:57:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSo long, Jack... we hardly knew ye.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: So long, Jack... we hardly knew ye.  (Read 9140 times)
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 08:00:20 PM »

I really hope this slows him down. I'm pretty sure it won't stop him, as long as he can breed there will be problems.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 09:10:27 PM »

Markham, yeah, I remember that. It was pretty good of the PA guys to step up when JT turned out to be blowing his usual smoke.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 09:28:58 PM »

Jack was kind of a joke, no real danger to game development.

Senator Lieberman on the other hand is much more dangerous -- one of his proposed bills (it didn't pass, but I'm sure he'll try to get it passed again) would make it illegal to sell or even distribute games to a minor unless they've been rated by the ESRB. Which would kind of destroy indie gaming, at least in the US. It still might pass.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 09:42:56 PM »

How would that affect online games?  I mean, considering this: "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB."

Also, how does one go about getting an ESRB rating anyway?  The ESRB website doesn't describe the process unless you are a member, and you can't be a member without submitting your company's game for a rating.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »

The ESRB website doesn't describe the process unless you are a member, and you can't be a member without submitting your company's game for a rating.

Welcome to beauracracy. Wink

Kinda like NEIS (a small business support scheme) in Australia. To be eligible, you have to have a source of funds for the business and be otherwise eligible for unemployment benefits. To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you can't have a source of funds, because that wipes out your benefits.

Need to be creative. Wink
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »

rinkuhero, that's one scary bill. I was going to ask how many under-18s have credit cards, so couldn't they just ask their parents to get it for them- but then, what about pre-purchase demos and freeware? Quite worrying.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »

rinkuhero is about to make a post!

tweet tweet @j_younger
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 10:05:42 PM »

How would that affect online games?  I mean, considering this: "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB."

Also, how does one go about getting an ESRB rating anyway?  The ESRB website doesn't describe the process unless you are a member, and you can't be a member without submitting your company's game for a rating.

If the bill had passed the ESRB would probably just change that guideline.

The rating process is kind of weird: from what I've heard, the people rating your game don't actually play your game, instead, you are required to send them 20 hours or so of video footage from your game (as well as about $10,000), as well as what rating you wish to have for your game. If the content in that 20 hour video doesn't exceed the rating you want, you get the rating.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 10:06:11 PM »

rinkuhero is about to make a post!

hahaha

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 10:11:45 PM »

If the bill had passed the ESRB would probably just change that guideline.

The rating process is kind of weird: from what I've heard, the people rating your game don't actually play your game, instead, you are required to send them 20 hours or so of video footage from your game (as well as about $10,000), as well as what rating you wish to have for your game. If the content in that 20 hour video doesn't exceed the rating you want, you get the rating.

Ah, yes.  I had a feeling it involved thousands of dollars somehow.  That would pretty much mean small-time indie devs would be dead in the water Sad

Also, I don't see how the ESRB could change that guidline... there's no way of ensuring that online play won't expose the player to profanity, etc.  Unless the bill has a special provision for this they could just stick it hard to online games as well.

tweet tweet @j_younger
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 10:15:21 PM »

Oh, I thought that guideline meant that they won't rate games only intended for online sale as opposed to sale in stores, whereas it actually means that it can't judge "online content" because people can always swear at you in Starcraft even if it has a T rating.

I don't think that rule would need to change, and it's not really relevant to the bill. Minors would still be able to buy T or E rated games with online content that can contain things that a parent could object to.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 10:18:13 PM »

Interestingly, even Jack Thompson disagreed with Lieberman's bill, calling it unconstitutional: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051212-5740.html

Zaphos
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 10:26:03 PM »

Which would kind of destroy indie gaming, at least in the US. It still might pass.
If this did happen, could developers just put at little age barrier thing ("you must tell us your birthday to access this game ...") before the game download?  That seems to be the (idiotic) industry standard currently, anyway.

I'm not too worried 'cause even if it does pass, there's a good chance it'll be recognized as not constitutional, but yeah, scary all the same.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 10:27:34 PM »

That would probably work, a lot of forums do that with being age 13 now -- it's illegal to use forums, myspace, etc., if you're under 13.

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2008, 02:26:04 AM »

Interestingly, even Jack Thompson disagreed with Lieberman's bill, calling it unconstitutional: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051212-5740.html

Yeah. Jack might be nuts, but there are worse. See also: Fox News, Mass Effect.
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2008, 10:02:09 AM »

I am Jack Thompson.

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2008, 10:21:35 AM »

I am Jack Thompson.
I am Jack Thompson.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2008, 10:22:09 AM »

I am a jack thompson.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 11:13:47 AM »

I am Jack Thompson.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 01:42:56 PM »

I am Sparticu...er, Jack Johnson..er Curious George... Jason Mr.. Colby Cal.. DANG IT!

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic