Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58440 Members - Latest Member: WebMobril5645

May 02, 2024, 09:32:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2013
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2013  (Read 62067 times)
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: January 07, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »

Was there ever any measures taken to confirm that judges were even playing games, Matthew? I remember that being a big issue last year.

There was an entirely new submission/backend system this year, and a big part of it was tracking build uploads/download/reports/assignments/re-assignments.  I'm super happy with the new system, and it seems to have gone over really well with both entrants and judges.

PM me if you want any kind of details, it's pretty off-topic from a finalist discussion.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:20:28 AM by Matthew » Logged

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: January 07, 2013, 10:15:16 AM »

7 Grand Steps was selected Nuovo finalist and mentioned, honorably, in the new narrative category.  Very happy, but scratching my head a bit. I guess my game is weirder than it is well written. Mostly, I'm proud that 7GS is just really fun to play.

Thank you, fellow TIGSers! Your bottomless pool of enthusiasm, creativity, and community helped me keep moving through nearly four years of development, and it's not quite done. Probably in a month or two, though.

I'll be announcing the availability of demos, tomorrow. Hope you all go nuts with them.

I was really happy to see that, 7GS is currently one of my most anticipated games. Congrats!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: January 07, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »

so apparently

and

looks better than

oh, and apparently

was also re-entered, and once again beaten by squares and circles.
oops?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
feminazi
« Reply #343 on: January 07, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »

why you gotta come here each year to do damage control wegner, the fundamental problem (super bad judges) isnt ever fixed. don't login tigirc this year, please.
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: January 07, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »

No, the fundamental problem is that indie games are far too broad a thing to have all hopes and desires met by any single source of recognition. No matter *what* was picked, it's never going to be able to touch on everything. No matter who judges things, the judges will not all be you and the results will not all be what you'd want them to be!

We've discussed previously how certain styles/genres (like long RPGs) have almost no chance in the IGF, not because the judges are bad but because the format and culture of the competition isn't tuned that direction.

My "never again" is not an "IGF sucks" but more of a "I will never make anything that falls any closer to the IGF's style of game than that, so there's no point." Smiley
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: January 07, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »

^That's also how I feel about it. I don't think IGF is inherently evil, it just seems like the people who review the games have a very specific idea in mind for what it means to be "indie," and I don't really agree with that philosophy. Nobody can really argue that a majority of the finalists always have a certain look or employ a certain technological gimmick. I don't think I've ever seen a traditional video game as an IGF finalist.

As for the judges themselves, I did recognize one of the names in the visual category, and it's someone I don't like/they don't like me, so I'm wondering if personal preferences factor into judgement at all? If so, keeping a clean slate with personal relationships or just being well-liked is probably a great advantage in IGF.

feminazi
« Reply #346 on: January 07, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »

im not being nice about it cos 2 games about squares and circles are apparently good visual arts or whatever and i dont believe a word the UBM man has got to say. let igf die
Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 07, 2013, 11:02:50 AM »

im not being nice about it cos 2 games about squares and circles are apparently good visual arts or whatever and i dont believe a word the UBM man has got to say. let igf die

I didn't see those 2. I am happy with the nominations. There weren't as many "Big" indie games this year so I hadn't heard of lots of the games. IGF is a great idea IMO and I would not like it to die.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: January 07, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »

I'm amazed IGF attracts as much drama as it does in here every year. Seems like people expect it to be something that it isn't. I'm happy with it just the way it is! Kudos to Matthew, Brandon, and all the other people who make it happen. You guys are awesome.

sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: January 07, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »

I'm amazed IGF attracts as much drama as it does in here every year. Seems like people expect it to be something that it isn't. I'm happy with it just the way it is! Kudos to Matthew, Brandon, and all the other people who make it happen. You guys are awesome.

it's always the same people working the drama-train. best to ignore and enjoy the rest of your day.  Beer!

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 07, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »

yeah god forbid people in the biggest indie games forum give a shit about the biggest indie games competition

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
feminazi
« Reply #351 on: January 07, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »

no shit. what's it with snobby rich kids that can't take criticism? brandon completely shuts down whenever he hears one and matthew just talks like a buisness robot
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: January 07, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »

See, ThemsAllTook, now watch as I ignore whilst continuing this frothy beverage.  Beer!

Love seeing Cart Life and Kentucky Route Zero all over the place in the list. Definitely cheering them on from over here.

ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 07, 2013, 12:10:16 PM »

I saw trailer for this Kentucky Route Zero game, was really interested in what the fuck it was about, but then forgot about it. Now it's up for some awards or something.

Need to check this out again.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: January 07, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »

Aqua Kitty to win! Oops no, we didn't get nominated Wink

Seriously though, all competitions are just a bit of fun. Some people win, some don't.

Pixelprospectors own top 80 pick list is pretty nice btw - http://igf.pixelprospector.com/
(but again, no Aqua Kitty! sheesh)

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »

Well, I can't say I'm not crushed, and it's pretty clear it's a waste of time for me to ever enter the IGF again, but on the bright side, I'm still happy that at least you did add a narrative category... so best of luck to them that gets the hat.

don't feel so bad -- what really matters are fans anyway. i mean, to me, comments like the ones i got for immortal defense on greenlight here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/92932076 are worth more than an igf prize anyway. i'm sure you get similar comments (i remember visiting your forums a few years ago), just re-read some of those instead Smiley

i think the thing that sticks out to me the most this year and last is the large disconnect between what players consider good and what judges do. i know it's a matter of different tastes, but the stories of games that players praise are not the stories of games that the igf praises, and what players think of as good graphics are not what igf judges think of as good graphics

i suspect it goes like this: to the average player, the higher quality thing is the thing that more work and talent was put into, the thing that not just anybody could do, the thing that takes special skill and time and training. but to scholars and journalists in a field (especially ones who have to evaluate many many games and only spend a little time with each), the better thing is something they haven't seen before, something that surprises them, something that stands out, and simple elegance is valued more than ornate complexity. i think this applies not just to the visual and narrative fields in the igf, but even to the gameplay ones -- they historically tend to value elegantly simple mechanics (like fez and blueberry garden) over interesting but complex ones (like spacechem or glum buster)

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #356 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »

raggghh rarrra rarararara rarrgh
Ashkin
« Reply #357 on: January 07, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »

Gonna ignore stupid arguments and just say CONGRATULATIONS DROQEN
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 07, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »

Just wanted to log in and say I disagree with literally every selection bar two (Gone Home and Kentucky Route Zero). All the rest demonstrate the fantastic nepotism that we've come to know and love from the IGF. What a waste of time.

Congrats to all the finalists!
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: January 07, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »

Well, I can't say I'm not crushed, and it's pretty clear it's a waste of time for me to ever enter the IGF again, but on the bright side, I'm still happy that at least you did add a narrative category... so best of luck to them that gets the hat.

don't feel so bad -- what really matters are fans anyway.

I had personal reasons for wanting to go to the GDC this year and now probably won't be able to swing it, thus the slight sulking. Smiley

But really, congrats to those who made the finals!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic