Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 05:34:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 535050 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: November 28, 2016, 10:43:41 AM »

OoK was the hardest, but Friede definitely pissed me off more.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: November 28, 2016, 10:50:32 AM »

OoK was the hardest, but Friede definitely pissed me off more.

every dark souls boss pissed me off more than ook

btw I finally bought a ps3 (for mgs4,) incoming demon's souls complainthru in a week or whatever.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7002 on: November 28, 2016, 10:52:02 AM »

if you are good at souls game, demsouls would be a piece of cake

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: November 28, 2016, 11:02:35 AM »

btw I finally bought a ps3 (for mgs4,)

ehat
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: November 28, 2016, 11:10:57 AM »

(i've been putting off buying a ps3 for mgs4 for nine years)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7005 on: November 28, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »

if you think dark souls is bad you will probably HATE demon's souls just sayin
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: November 28, 2016, 11:31:51 AM »

I figure, but I still enjoy playing and am interested in dks, so at worst it will be an engaging experience.

additional edit: I'm also holding out hope that I like it more, cause a lot of what rubs me the wrong way about dks is pretty specific gamedesign stuff (not its general sloppiness, or difficulty, or tone) so maybe i'll luck out w/ demon's.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 11:45:54 AM by joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ » Logged

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7007 on: November 28, 2016, 12:36:05 PM »

ook is really hard. Probably the hardest boss 'action game' wise in dks series that i've played. Laurence not as much once you learn how he works, but he's definitely one of the tougher bosses.

OoK is fun to learn his moves in first phase. Laurence seems much more chaotic because of camera and relatively cramped arena. All fire and lava deal have largish hit boxes and easily damage to me and kill me in couple consecutive hits even with fire resistance gear. It's getting better slowly though.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7008 on: November 28, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »

pretty specific gamedesign stuff
such as? many design choices in demsouls are pretty hampering, like only light armors being viable and health item farming

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: November 28, 2016, 01:03:44 PM »

OoK is fun to learn his moves in first phase. Laurence seems much more chaotic because of camera and relatively cramped arena.

again, don't always remain locked on. it's sometimes better to not lock on, particularly with bosses who jump around a lot.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7010 on: November 29, 2016, 08:31:37 AM »

Yeah I don't, though it works well imo in OoK's first phase Smiley For Laurence I use both lock on and unlocked on first phase and unlock on last phase.

I think I don't like how restricted the upgrade materials are this time. I don't have blood chunks anymore and therefore can't effectively test some possible weapons I have like Whirligig saw. Farming them or insight to buy them seems really tedious without going to chalices. I liked it much more in souls games where one could buy upgrade materials with souls in the end game since right now I can't really do much else than try same bosses over and over again and hope to "git gud" with my existing gear and play style. I suppose I'm meant to get those things from chalice dungeons but after going first five layers of Pthumeru I don't really feel like doing more. Shrug

EDIT: Beat Laurence! Now only Orphan is left and couple final main game bosses.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:12:22 AM by Tumetsu » Logged

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: November 29, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »

I got a quick question, Silbereisen (which I am only posting here because it kind of falls in line with the Souls games).

My little project I had mentioned here has pretty much mutated into a board game when I started designing it in a manner I could test with dice and cards and whatnot. I started picking up ideas from the Souls games, Darkest Dungeon, etc. and it has evolved into a multiplayer board game roguelike/Souls-like thing. Seeing how you have a love of both board games and Souls games mind if I bug you to take a peek at it and get your thoughts on it once I get the devlog going (I am also making a digital version in GM:Studio as I go)?

I am not really out to make money or anything, I just want to make something fun I can play with my family (and maybe other people can enjoy too) so once I do get the devlog going it'd be awesome to have people chiming in and helping refine the rules and improve the game (i.e. make it a sort of open source kind of deal).

Anyways, I will post back here once I got the devlog going.

EDIT: I found a few sites that do the printing/manufacturing of homemade board games for a rather decent price so I can actually get the game made into a nice looking board game.

The board itself will basically be made out of strips of spaces which each space offers up a different tactical option (or reward in an almost Monopoly kind of fashion) and links together by spaces with arrows that indicate you can shift a row. In this manner the board can be shuffled for a variety of setups (kind of like a roguelike). Another factor is that you can use the lane shifting to maneuver around opponents (since facing and range matters).

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:10:06 PM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: November 29, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »

yeah sure, just drop the link here when it's ready and i will SAY THINGS

your game might turn out to be better than the official dark souls board game which still looks like a poop mechanics-wise.
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: November 29, 2016, 03:52:34 PM »

Awesome! Thanks! CoffeeToast Right

And yeah, I saw it and I wasn't impressed. It looks like some kind of paired down Hero Quest.

I really like how TCG like Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh! rely on strategies vs. counter strategies and baiting and trapping opponents so I am working a lot of that into the play (without bogging down the pace). It really falls in line with the combat of Dark Souls, where you are really trying to outmaneuver your opponent and catch them at a vulnerable moment.

I've also been looking carefully at games like Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo where the closer you are to winning the more vulnerable you are to losing (i.e. the more power you build up the greater the chance it can be used against you). Not rubber band mechanics, just a good emphasis on an exploitable risk and reward.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7014 on: November 29, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »

yeah sure, just drop the link here when it's ready and i will SAY THINGS

your game might turn out to be better than the official dark souls board game which still looks like a poop mechanics-wise.

I cringed so hard watching their videos. "And now you get to fight the boss!" (shuffle shuffle shuffle shuffle). Look, the boss moves! ... attack it!

The only mildly interesting thing I saw was that after boss went through its shuffled deck, it kept the same AI pattern for the future which mimics memorizing boss patterns in the games. Otherwise though, it looked incredibly boring and "..why wouldn't I just play DS?"

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: November 29, 2016, 06:11:08 PM »

well it doesn't look terrible, it just looks like a really generic dungeon crawler board game. it's obvious they designed the minis first and tacked on some rules as an afterthought (problem with a lot of kickstarter board games).
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: November 30, 2016, 06:32:51 AM »

Started demon's. Picked axe guy, got a scimitar, killed pike blob. Googled who and where a monument is. Better than dks' first zone. I like that low stamina seems less punishing in terms of limiting your ability to attack. Trading with (weaker) enemies also seems more viable. Also like that the trash mobs don't do enormous amounts of damage. Much nicer visually than dks1/2 so far.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: November 30, 2016, 07:12:27 AM »

I have always maintained that the design of the individual levels is better in demon's than in dork soles. Dks1 sometimes feels hamstrung by the "interconnected world" (namely it has quite a few filler areas lol).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:27:48 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7018 on: November 30, 2016, 07:25:48 AM »

undead parish feels def more like a transition level, despite having a boss.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7019 on: November 30, 2016, 07:26:37 AM »

also, joseph, lemme know your thoughts of 5-2. hehhhh heheheheeeeh

Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic