Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:50:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPietà
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pietà  (Read 2498 times)
increpare
« on: May 11, 2009, 12:49:53 AM »

A short game I made over the weekend.

download:

OSX 10.5+ (Intel)
Windows
Source

controls:
space
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 03:45:17 AM »

Interesting graphics, conveyed the situation well.
My arm hurts.
Is the ending supposed to be abrupt? Are there multiple endings?
Fate
Level 0

uhm.. derp..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 09:54:37 AM »

cool...
would definitely like to see more of this Hand Thumbs Up Right

"i like seeing... people... come out of the dark." -David Lynch
increpare
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »

Interesting graphics, conveyed the situation well.
My arm hurts.
Is the ending supposed to be abrupt? Are there multiple endings?
I thought I had replied to this.  And: nope there aren't.
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 10:56:21 AM »

When the game is finished and the "Press space" screen re-appears, each space stroke restarts the music. It's fun to goof around with.

lulzapricot
Level 0

om nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »

Interesting game, the art style looks very unique, I've never seen anything like it, with the scattered pixels.

Oh, and here is a linux build:
Linux

Probally just me but do not double click the .run to execute, either right click->open on gnome or use terminal. (Please tell me if double clicking works for you if you use this, it might not be just me)

Captain_404
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 01:53:51 PM »

I meant to reply to this back when you first posted it, but I guess I never got around to it.

First off, I absolutely love the art style, it reminds me of pointillism, and this sort of blend of pointillism and pixels is a style I've actually wanted to see somebody try for a long time now.

That said, I think the actual gameness of this is a bit iffy, unless I'm missing something here. I'd be interested to hear what you think (as the creator) really separates this from an animation? I mean, I can get a similar effect on an TV now, thanks to DVR. You've said there are not multiple endings (and I do admit I haven't played it more than once so far, which probably isn't really fair to the game). So, what's the difference between this and watching an animation frame by frame?

Please note, I'm not trying to come off as confrontational here, or anything like that, I'm honestly interested to hear you talk a bit about it if you don't mind.
JustinGameDesign
Level 1

Sprite artist and indie game dev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »

It's an innovative concept, the one button game, but I have to say I didn't like the execution in this case. 

Wouldn't a character in this game's situation want to run?  I appreciate the deliberate slowness of the game, but with the rate I was taping space I should have seen some sprinting to save the day, not a leisurely stroll.  And if there's really no reward or alternate ending then why did I bother to rush at all?

I liked the large pixel graphics and I liked the music as well, but if you could think of a way to make the player's input more significant, to make the player feel like they made a difference instead of just watching in slow motion, that would help a lot! 

Hope to see more of your work in the future! Smiley

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 05:07:33 AM »

I definitely liked the graphic style of this game and the music track was enjoyable as well.  The gameplay was rather lacking for me though.  The most fun element was trying to decipher the pointillist graphics to determine what was happening.

My hand hurts now and my space bar hates you.  Whatdoyouhaveagainstmyspacebar?  Wink

In all seriousness though, I'd love to hear from you what aspects you were trying to explore here?

EDIT: Ok.. so wikipedia enlightened me about the name... I'm guessing this is a take on the sculpture by Michelangelo of Mary carrying Jesus?  The "Mary" sprite has that certain blue dress like quality.  Mary sure takes her time getting to the hospital!  Wink
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:10:57 AM by HybridMind » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic