Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 01:56:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLos Mosquito - UNFINISHED AND TINY
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Los Mosquito - UNFINISHED AND TINY  (Read 1652 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2009, 12:07:05 PM »

Hey so this is an unfinished little game that Greater Beast and I attempted to do for one of those 24 hour Poppenkast competitions.  The theme was 'flight', so we decided to do a simple game with a lone mosquito protagonist.

Arrow keys control.  Tap Z to suck blood.  Suck as much blood as you can before you are killed, be it by planes, arms, bats, or DDT.

It's tiny, simple, and kinda cute, and you can download it hereEmbarrassed

@doomlaser, mark johns
pgil
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:21:04 PM »

Pretty cool. I like the music, and the cool retro design of the title screen.

One weird problem: when I started the game, it was really slow. Then after about a minute, it started running about twice as fast.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:58:36 PM »

Hey I remember this!  I like the style a lot Grin
Kamos
Level 0

Hey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 04:05:12 PM »

Hey Golds,

Cool game. I thought the music/style was funny and that the graphics were very well done (especially considering how long you had to do it). About the game itself, the idea of flying around as a mosquito is interesting and fun (even if only for the weirdness of it all), but I really couldn't feel that the way I was flying had any influence on my success as a parasite.

For instance, I was trying to come from behind, as a "stealthy" mosquito, but it didn't help my survival ratio very much. The best strategy I've found was dropping at full speed on someone, sucking blood for a few seconds (before they got angry) and then jumping to the next target.

If I had to guess what your algorithm is, I'd say you spawn every human with a counter for patience and rate for recovering patience. Then, if the mosquito is within "x" units from the human, you remove patience from that human. If a human's patience ends (patience is below zero, or something), the human gets angry and attacks with slaps and DDT. While that is a valid mechanic, the lack of a "flying skill" to learn reduces the game's replayability.

While the game is cool as it is, I'd make a few changes:

1) Somehow add a "noise" factor into the game, so you can reward stealthy players and skillful flying / landing.

2) Add wind. That should make flying a bit harder, too.  Smiley

3) Make the "air space" larger. Those bats are really hard to dodge, and the DDT has such a long range that it's almost impossible to evade.  Tongue
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 01:55:35 AM »

I felt like there was some stealth to this. Whenever I tried a frontal attack I'd get smacked right away.

I really enjoyed sucking blood from people's eyes too. Fun game Smiley
JustinGameDesign
Level 1

Sprite artist and indie game dev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:53:37 PM »

Short and sweet!  The only glitch I saw was that the mosquito would suck blood even if he was facing the wrong way, like when his body was overlapping a person and his needle nose was sticking off into the air.  Otherwise, no real complaints.  Awesome art and cool music too!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic