Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411690 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 18, 2024, 02:04:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural Generationsin(Surfing) [Finished]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: sin(Surfing) [Finished]  (Read 75648 times)
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 02:16:27 PM »

Sifu! Where've you been hiding? This entry looks sweet.

Hes chillin in IRC where you should be, FARBSY.
The man doth speaks the truth.

twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 02:26:56 AM »

The game is done!!! Check it out, everybody! =) Surfing on the sin-waves!
(Link and updated screenshots on first post)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 02:31:26 AM by twohalf » Logged
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 03:41:31 AM »

I like it! There's a surprising amount of depth in the controls, both in how "sticky" you are to the sine wave and how fast you spin in air relative to your points. Sometimes it's not quite intuitive how high I'll jump when releasing down near the top of a wave, though. I like the mechanic in challenge mode where the speed increases as long as you keep sticking landings. Simple concept, but it turned out very fun. Good job!  Smiley
My crappy scores: Stunt: 540, Challenge: 2770

PowRTocH
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »

Game killing error on startup. Sad And I was really looking forward to this one. Cry
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 11:07:26 AM »

Downloaded the XNA thing, installed it, but the game crashed on startup.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 11:14:18 AM »

I played it. And discussed with twohalf a bit already. Wink
But nothing too game specific.

It is damn addictive and really fun, and I don't even know why... I just play it because... because. xD

Anyway... there is something missing... something that holds me from calling it "teh winnAr no kveshtion plzes"... and I tried to analyze that...

One thing I suggest right away:
This way the game is just a repetitive "keep ducking, jump as high as you can and flip around"-game... and here comes my idea:
That game fucking needs a fucking combo-mechanic fo realz!

And how I mean combo-feature: When you do a trick (flip, handstand, whatever)the game enters "combo"-mode! This has to be visualized and the best way I can think of is changing the players colour to red or someting... combo mode could affect the graphics, level-design, music but those things are just nice gimmicks (which could make the experience more intense, of course)...
anyway... After you enter "combo-mode" all your stunts add up to each other...
The longer the combo, the more points you get per trick.

Combo-mode fades if you have contact to the ground for mor than say... 2 seconds or 1... you'd need to try that out. Alternatively, combo-mode fades if you don't do a trick for some 5 seconds and of course... if you fall off your board.

So you actually need 2 little (small filling circles?) combo-mode indicators...
the first one starts to rise whenever the player has contact with the ground and the second one rises until the player does a trick, then it falls to 0 again.

After combo-mode fades the player gets the points earned throughout the combo on his score. (exception: the player falls off his board)

This way it'd be possible to do infinite combos and earn a shitload of points but of course it's hard since you cant jump off the wave everywhere so easily. The player has do develop a FEEL for the wave. Just like in real surfing.

PLEASE implement that! It'd give the "Freestyle-gamemode" a sense, by the way.

----------------------------------------

other than that I discovered something really funny, I guess you did aswell:
This wave can be seen in two different ways:
1.) a wobbling wave under the surf-board.
2.) mountains/hills over which the surfer "rides" to the right.

It's basically impossible to play the game seeing the wave the first way I mentioned... but the first way I mentioned is the logical way...
way 2. is a product of an optical illusion.
So you have to maintain a constant state of "being fooled by the game graphics" to actually play the game. Thats funny. Sometimes I kinda "loose" this state for some seconds and that's when I loose. :D

That's so cool!

BaronCid

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 11:20:25 AM »

It won't even start for me. I just get a crash at the beginning. And I even have XNA Game Studio and everything myself!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »

XNA games tend to be so annoying. Nothing against those that use it, but I hate trying to make them work.

Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »

I couldn't get it to install even after I installed the XNA Redistributable 2.0, Cow gave me this advice (which he got from broknecho):

- Install the redistributable link originally posted here.
- Install this as well as this and you should be just peachy.

Nice game, I absolutely love the graphics Grin
twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 12:00:13 PM »

Darn! I'm sorry it's crashing for some of you! )_; Hopefully Ryan's solution fixes it, and thanks so much Ryan for the feedback and the fix links (putting it on the first post too). And thanks to everyone else too!
BaronCid gave us some really good suggestions before and a combo thing would be perfect! Like having to jump at the next hill. We'll keep working on it after PG to see what we can make better to the game given more time.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »

I was worried this might happen - sorry, the game doesn't work for me at all. I've reinstalled everything mentioned in this thread, but it doesn't help Sad

twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 12:14:33 PM »

Aww man... that's such a pity. If I could, I'd come and lend you my computer to try it... Maybe it's a video card thing? )_;
I'll post a gameplay video in a bit to still be able to see the game though. Bummer...
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 12:15:55 PM »

By all that is holy installing .NET 2.0 is hell. I've been waiting almost an hour.

twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »

Sifu found this link that might help check XNA requirements! http://xnamatrix.com/xnareq.php
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »

Still doesn't work. I already have XNA and all that jazz anyway.

twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2008, 12:41:58 PM »

Hmm... do you have XNA 2.0 or 1.0? I don't know if that might be it but just to check...
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 12:45:51 PM »

Looks like it is a graphics card thing in my case Cry XNA needs a pixel shader? That's crazy - proper pixel shaders are really only 4 or 5 years old...

c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »

So apparently you don't have to install the .Net 2.0 SP1 if you already have .Net 2.0. You can get away with just installing the Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redist instead, which is much smaller.

Damn, is somebody knows a way to distribute XNA games without so much explosion, let me know. The some users having to update DirectX, .Net 2.0, AND downloading the XNA Redistributable is way too much ridiculous.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2008, 12:50:34 PM »

Hmm... do you have XNA 2.0 or 1.0? I don't know if that might be it but just to check...

2.0, I program with XNA myself a bit, and I've played others XNA games.

twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »

Darn.. then I have no idea )_; Sorry...

And Terry, yupyup, we used a pixel shader to do Bloom. I guess we should add that to the sys requirements.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic