Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 04:37:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallOverload - [PC/Browser - C++] - updated 2013 version
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Overload - [PC/Browser - C++] - updated 2013 version  (Read 1235 times)
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2012, 01:48:49 PM »

Idea
Your objective in the game is to collect points by making the green balls drop to the hole in the middle. Red balls on the other hand will increase the gauge on the left, and when this gets full, the game's over. With blue balls you can decrease this gauge. With yellow balls you can destroy other balls, and with purple balls you can swap the "charge" of a ball from negative to positive and the other way around.

When a ball collides with another, these may combine depending on "charge" and the type of the ball. This however depends completely on the type of the ball. The features of each ball are explained in detail in README.txt file, included in zip-file.

Controls
Use left and right arrowkeys to change the angle of the highlighted (yellow) ring. With up and down arrowkeys you can change the highlighted ring. With ESC-key you can go to the main menu at any point of the game. You can close the game by pressing ESC-key once more in the main menu.

Scores
The game uses now Game Jolt highscore- and trophysystem. To get access on these you must have an account on Game Jolt. At the beginning of the game it asks for your username and token, but to play the game these aren't necessary. They're only required to enable highscores and trophies.

Download/Play
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/puzzle/overload/8808/
Works on Windows 7, but I think it should run on XP and Vista as well.

From the above link you can both download the game, and play it straight from the browser.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:44:53 AM by erakko » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:56:41 PM »

I gave it a try.  It's a nice concept, but it feels really slow paced and boring, to be honest.  I think it would be much more interesting and fun if it were a real-time game, with the balls constantly moving around the outer edge of the circles.  It could also have better controls where 1,2 moves the top ring, Q,W moves the second ring, A,S moves the third ring, and Z,X moves the fourth ring.  This would make things much more dynamic.
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »

I gave it a try.  It's a nice concept, but it feels really slow paced and boring, to be honest.  I think it would be much more interesting and fun if it were a real-time game, with the balls constantly moving around the outer edge of the circles.  It could also have better controls where 1,2 moves the top ring, Q,W moves the second ring, A,S moves the third ring, and Z,X moves the fourth ring.  This would make things much more dynamic.
Thank you for the comment, and that's actually pretty interesting idea. I probably will leave the game as it is, but I agree your idea would spice things up.
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »

So I joined Game Jolt, and now it's possible to play this straight from the browser. Just click the following link, and from there click "Quick Play". Even though it's just a Windows executable, the site uses Java to run that exe quite nicely.

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/puzzle/overload/8808/

Highscores work like they did before, now I'm just thinking if I should implement the Game Jolt highscores and perhaps even trophies...

If possible, please leave a rating for the game (requires registration to the site or signing in using Twitter/Facebook account) and comments - good or bad - are always welcome, even in this thread.
erakkun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 02:53:56 AM »

Seeing as the highscoresystem died I updated the game to use Game Jolt API to access proper leaderboards and trophies on Game Jolt site. Account on Game Jolt is required for these though, not to mention working Internet connection.

The game will ask for your username and token at the start of the game and if the login is successful, your scores will be sent to the leaderboards and if you unlock any trophies, they will be shown in your account as well.

However the game does work without a Game Jolt account, you just won't be able to send your scores to the leaderboards and you can't achieve trophies.

You will find the updated game from the first post, the site will still give you an option to either download the game or play it straight from the browser.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic