Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411603 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 12:47:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)The great 2D non-pixel art game graphics appreciation thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The great 2D non-pixel art game graphics appreciation thread  (Read 28533 times)
iffi
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »

In addition to what mankoon said, the art style should also be consistent with the gameplay so they complement each other. The art styles used in both Blazblue and Vanillaware's games both go well with the gameplay in my opinion. I don't think they would have been better games had they gone with a more "unique" style.
Seeing as there are many more screenshots from many more games here now, it doesn't even matter much to the topic of this thread anymore.

Anyway, here's another game, which many of you will probably recognize:

Machinarium. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:09:08 PM by iffi » Logged
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 03:20:45 PM »

Revenge of the Titans
pixhead
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 03:23:25 PM »

how the flying fahooky did I forget about Limbo
iffi
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 03:36:14 PM »

So I was scrolling through the IGF finalists from past years...

Shank:

Pixeljunk Eden (or any other Pixeljunk game):

Castle Crashers (as well as The Behemoth's other games):

Blueberry Garden:

Cletus Clay:

Eufloria:

World of Goo:

Crayon Physics Deluxe:

Edit: Thanks to Melly's post on the "Desktop screenies!" thread, figured out that you can scale images down by putting [img width=700] instead of just [img].
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:57:30 PM by iffi » Logged
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 12:22:58 AM »

A Boy and his Blob remake had some incredible graphics

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »

how the flying fahooky did I forget about Limbo

Limbo is 3D, the silhouette style and post processing hide it very well.  It's readily apparent in the change of perspective as objects scroll by or are manipulated.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »

Arkedo Swap, colours to the face!

Critter Crunch, outstanding backdrops and animation.

Edit - and Braid, of course.

Rosse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 03:31:23 AM »

Vector-ish, Another World ( http://www.anotherworld.fr/anotherworld_uk/page_realisation.htm )

then, don't forget prerendered 3D. In the end, it's still 2D. And Donkey Kong Country looks unimaginable sexy on a CRT.

And hand-drawn graphics, resized, Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari. I remember Derek Yu posted a thread some time ago where he uploaded the original artwork. Yummy for the eyes!
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=319.0 | http://www.derekyu.com/images/extras/nanatsukaze/

(sorry for crappy screenshots, please look at the tigs-thread and enjoy the artwork)

jwk5
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 08:56:40 AM »

You just had to post a picture of Wario choking his chicken, didn't you?
dudrenov
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 09:09:54 AM »

Hmm. Muramasa animation seems really smooth. Does anyone have any idea how is Muramasa animated? Is it just high res sprites,  some skeleton system with some base polygons attached to it, or something else?

Seems like it would use quite a lot of mem if it's all high res sprites at a high frame rate.
jwk5
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 09:33:35 AM »

Hmm. Muramasa animation seems really smooth. Does anyone have any idea how is Muramasa animated? Is it just high res sprites,  some skeleton system with some base polygons attached to it, or something else?

Seems like it would use quite a lot of mem if it's all high res sprites at a high frame rate.
Pretty much the same way as Odin Sphere. You can see from this sprite sheet that the characters are made up of pieces that are moved (or scaled) indivudually.
pixhead
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »

Limbo is 3D, the silhouette style and post processing hide it very well.  It's readily apparent in the change of perspective as objects scroll by or are manipulated.

Seriously! I had no idea, that makes me respect the game even more.
namre
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »

Saw this a few days ago. Loved the artstyle.

Dust: An Elysian Tale

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 01:10:15 PM »

then, don't forget prerendered 3D. In the end, it's still 2D. And Donkey Kong Country looks unimaginable sexy on a CRT.

forgive me but I've always found prerendered 3d - and especially the donkey kong country series - to be completely disgusting looking. Ugh, look at all that plastic. Probably one of the few games I could never get into primarily because of the graphics.

iffi
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 01:17:46 PM »

Dustforce:
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »

Seriously! I had no idea, that makes me respect the game even more.

A couple of elements are 3D but largely it's all flat 2D polys which is no different to any 2D game these days. Cogs, trees, spider, grass, boxes, you never see them rotating as if they're actually 3D.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 04:00:28 PM »

Some people didn't notice the thread is for 2D non-pixel graphics (excepting the ones that didn't know the games were just cleverly hidden 3D, like Limbo). Though I'd say mixes of 2D/3D fit as well.

Odin Sphere and Muramasa both look amazing, and the skeletal system animations actually look really good as well. Both games feel like a pop-up storybook come to life, and the level of detail on sprites wouldn't be practical if not for that animation style.

Dust: An Elysian Tale also looks amazing. You guys have to see it in motion. Ridiculously smooth.

Damnit I can't remember any new games right now. I'll keep this thread in mind for when I see them.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »

Windosill is the most spectacular vector-rendering game I can think of.

hi
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 05:35:14 PM »

With a good art direction and hardware that can support the colour count pre-rendered sprites actually can look good:

(clockwise from top left): Dragon Blaze, Gunbird 2, Space Bomber, Strikers 1945 III.
namre
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 07:56:38 PM »

Dust: An Elysian Tale also looks amazing. You guys have to see it in motion. Ridiculously smooth.
Yeah, was so amazed when I saw the video. This is something I wish to create someday. :D Gotta brush up on my drawing!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic