Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 05:27:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)The great 2D non-pixel art game graphics appreciation thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: The great 2D non-pixel art game graphics appreciation thread  (Read 28534 times)
Booger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2011, 06:46:32 AM »

So is anyone in here capable of doing detailed sprites in the Vanillaware style?  I love that style, and I've got a whole game engine written in XNA, but my art skills aren't up to the task.

It's a 2d skeleton-based animation system, with keyframes & morphing, as well as stuff like ragdoll physics, a whole toolchain for quickly putting together animations, and all the systems for loading from metadata at runtime.

Holla

I'm also no artist (no portfolio, and currently outsourcing the art for my current game), but I can draw decently in a mildly anime style.  I'll be willing to attempt to make some spritesheets for you for free in exchange for the skeleton template for said spritesheets.  Right now I'm content with using isometric 3D pre-renders but want to level up my game so this is a good opportunity.  (If I can succeed at getting the Vanillaware style then I can lay the smackdown on my friends)

I couldn't make heads and tails from the Odin sphere spritesheet rips (too complicated!) but perhaps your animation system has things properly labelled and organized, so that I can, for example, see how the bones move and just draw on top of them.

PM me and I'll show you what I'm up to.  Hopefully we can establish a good working relationship starting from the hobby level but later maybe on a professional level as well (I need a friend who's already on XBLIG).
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »

pm sent  Smiley

Yeah, Vanillaware imo makes some of the best looking games out there, and I've been trying to copy their style.  There are pluses and minuses to it, for sure.  Like there's definitly an art just to putting the bones and skeleton together, and there is a ton of code needed to animate them relative to traditional sprite-based animation.  On the plus side, you can get some really stellar results and save a lot of time in the animation process by reusing the same images.

I read somewhere that in Chu's Dynasty (another smash-style fighter on xblig but using sprite based animation) each character added 50mb to the download size.  On the other side, all the assets for each character in my game are usually under 5-10mb.  Thats a pretty big deal on a service like xblig where download size can dictate how much you can charge for a game.

Cheers!

Dannobot on Twitter
Booger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2011, 07:48:06 PM »

I read that Chu's dynasty looked nice but that actual gameplay performance was subpar.  I think it's really the heavy sprites that must be cut down.  Looking forward to your reply!
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »

I just love Vanillaware's graphics and I'm really, really looking forward to Dust. Although there are many great games in this thread, those colorful, detailed graphics are the ones who appeal to me the most. I think all those graphics (including Dust's) were hand-painted, weren't they?
umezono
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2011, 05:41:03 PM »

Not sure if the 4 SHIFT games count. But I liked the way the game looked.
keramago
Level 0

i killed a man irl

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »

the patapon series are wonderful

~*~*~ i am cat ~*~*~~*~*~ i am cat ~*~*~
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2011, 05:54:24 PM »

Hohokum