Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 02:46:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Help with a skin color palette
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help with a skin color palette  (Read 1098 times)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2011, 10:14:16 AM »

Hey guys. I've begun re-texturing some characters at a higher resolution, as well as actually painting with colors rather than darker versions of the same color. To that effect, I started by attempting to make a color palette for skin:
(The outer one)

At first I thought it was pretty good, but now that I look at it, it seems really muddy. The darker ones were achieved by taking a flesh tone and mixing it with various levels of purple, but is that the right way to go about it?
shadowdim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »

I don't think there's a "perfect" skin palette. It just depends on the lighting, a hot light will give red shadows, and a cold light will give blue shadows. I guess.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »

It depend on the art direction, I don't know what's the issue really ... All I can do is to point to general advice to manage skin tone.

But saturation in the mid tone and some key aspect of the body (cheek, nose, termination or joint, part where blood acumulate) is the general advice.

Here is a Arne skin tut:

Optional info:

Look for skin subsurface scattering in google for further knowledge.

It's also good to analyse a model along a HSL methodology to pick apart the tone variation.
Here is a topic Where I discuss the matter for an entirely different matter:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=11431.msg355227#msg355227
In this one I show how to pick the map on photoshop:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=11431.msg362689#msg362689

The way to use it is to pick a reference (photo or illustraton) and then look were the parameter accumulate and in which proportion. It's also a direct way to visualize saturation distribution which is the main interest here.

EDIT:

From a character design perspective it also depend on what kind of impression you want to convey with the character ... Character with less emotion will be colder with pale color, bad character will be greener, soft character will be rosy with warm shadow... etc...

It also depend on the general mood of the whole game (art direction), and the general lighting condition (but you are doing it 3D so it's less a concern, you need a base tone that match all lighting condition)

We don't have much of a context.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:54:57 PM by GILBERT Timmy » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic