Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 11:39:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting2D Retro Game Pixel Ninja[FREE] Testers needed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D Retro Game Pixel Ninja[FREE] Testers needed  (Read 815 times)
VitalGaming
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2013, 09:49:12 PM »

Hey guys I wanted some people to test out the newest version of my FREE 2D Pixel game, Pixel Ninja! You play as a Ninja Ninja who must dodge Shuriken (ninja stars) while collecting gems and powerups. Power ups allow the player to throw Shuriken, Kunai Knives, even SUMMON LIGHTNING! Its a very simple yet ADDICTING game. The download is only 15MB and runs at 150+ FPS! Please leave any suggestions/ criticisms!

DOWNLOAD LINK- http://www.mediafire.com/download/zpvyq3nxgkti2na/PixelNinja_v4.zip

Trailer-

IndieDB- http://www.indiedb.com/games/david-umoh
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:06:57 AM by VitalGaming » Logged
shoutscion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 11:17:33 PM »

i don't like the name. the name is a big red flag to me.

including 'pixel' or 'pixel art' explicitly and unironically in any description of a game makes the pixel art stop being charming and inexpensive and start being either 'we are appealing to the retro crowd!' or 'we could not afford anything else, and are going to taut that as a feature!' or maybe some combination between the two. double points for including it in the name

also all the gui graphics are clashing super hard with your snes-res aesthetic

it's a good first shot though, i'd put it on a higher shelf then a lot of flash games with a little more spit n polish
PypeBros
Level 0

Simplest, but not Simpler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »

seconding on the resolution clash, including the smooth movement having a higher resolution than the graphics itself.

I haven't figured out why there are weapons offered since there's apparently nothing to shoot at. I got 3 fire buttons configured, but actually I had to press "jump" to see those weapons fired, and I fired all my arsenal at once. Sometimes, some items cannot be collected, with no clear reason.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:01:45 AM »

... runs at 150+ FPS!

Wooooooowwwwwww!11 Addicted

But seriously, that's not something I would use to promote the game. What does it tell? That you've super optimized your code? No. That it's so simple it should run at 1000 fps easily? Yeah. That there's literally nothing to render? Yeah. That FPS is a useless measure? Yeah.

The name. It's nothing but buzzwords. Immediately forgettable, barely related to the game and not very Google search friendly. What's retro got to do with this? Nothing. Also, it's a game so why state it in the title. I'd call it something like Nifty Ninja or anything other than what it currently is.

In all honesty it looks like someone's first Game Maker project. That's fine but you've got to be able to look at your own work critically to be any good. You did well by completing a game but now it's time to polish. As stated previously, the resolutions completely clash and that makes it look really ugly. Your ninja ... thing ... looks presentable as do the shurikens although they also clash in resolution. Looks like you we're trying to scale thing by not drawing them larger or smaller but scaling the sprites. To make something smaller, you draw it smaller. To make something bigger, you draw it bigger. And then, what happened to the background? Did you just stretcth a 64x64 image across the whole level? It's the first thing to catch anyone's eye and it looks terrible.

I hope this is helpful in your future endevours.

In short, you prototyped a game and now it's time to actually make it.

edit: Oh, and "http://file///C:/Users/Enobong/Pictures/NinjaPreview.png" will most certainly not show up as an image ... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:42:53 AM by Eigen » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic