Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411660 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 02:05:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFriends vs Aliens
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Friends vs Aliens  (Read 583 times)
dishmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:57:13 AM »

So, I thought it would be fun to make a multiplayer (Wi-Fi/LAN) game for Android phones and tablets, and Friends vs Aliens is the result.

It's only really an experiment at this stage, but any feedback would help me decide how far to take it.

Download for Android: Google Play
Download for Windows, etc.: (requires Java) .JAR

To play:  Stop the alien invaders from reaching the bottom of the screen by deploying shooters, barriers and bombs.  (You can move a unit after it has been deployed by touching it.)

To play with friends:  All devices should be connected to the same Wi-Fi router.

Made with: LibGDX and Kryonet.
Octrii
Level 0

computers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 09:52:33 AM »

The gameplay is pretty entertaining and it appears bug-free, which is great. One thing I'd note was that it seemed sort of separated from the player, like you're kind of just waiting for the next weapon to spawn until you get to the point where the aliens spawn too fast to beat. If you added a money system and let the player choose which weapons to buy it would allow for more strategy.
dishmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 12:33:19 PM »

If you added a money system and let the player choose which weapons to buy it would allow for more strategy.

I know what you mean.  I might have to experiment with that.

Part of my idea was to encourage players to help each other (donate defenses, etc.) when the aliens start to become overwhelming, but I'm not sure how well that works in practice.

Thanks for giving it a go!
KevinNolan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »

Sweet game! The multiplayer element is a nice touch, and helping each other out could have some interesting implications. How would you tackle points for example, and does someone 'win'?

Singleplayer-wise, it's a bit close to Plants Vs. Zombies - I don't think you'd be wanting to compete with them if you could avoid it! So if you did decide to go further with the game, I'd look at adding enemy types and situations that haven't cropped up in other lane tower defence games yet. Especially interesting could be enemies that wander across lanes, becoming a threat to different players as they did so. Or waves of enemies that suddenly concentrate on just one friend, causing everyone to pitch in and help him as much as possible.
dishmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 01:53:59 AM »

Sweet game! The multiplayer element is a nice touch, and helping each other out could have some interesting implications. How would you tackle points for example, and does someone 'win'?
Thanks!

When an alien reaches the bottom of the screen, it's Game Over for everyone.  So the rule is: cooperate or die.

Singleplayer-wise, it's a bit close to Plants Vs. Zombies - I don't think you'd be wanting to compete with them if you could avoid it! So if you did decide to go further with the game, I'd look at adding enemy types and situations that haven't cropped up in other lane tower defence games yet. Especially interesting could be enemies that wander across lanes, becoming a threat to different players as they did so. Or waves of enemies that suddenly concentrate on just one friend, causing everyone to pitch in and help him as much as possible.
I agree 100% on all points. Beer!  As a single-player game, it's not much more than a shameless clone, but I'd hoped to grow it into something more interesting on the multi-player side.  I like the tension between protecting your own lanes and helping your neighbours protect theirs.

The big downside is that I don't know if an audience really exists for Wi-Fi multi-player Android games...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic