Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411664 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 05:54:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRun or Die
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Run or Die  (Read 443 times)
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »

DOWNLOAD: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63088159/Run%20or%20Die.zip

This game is very short with 9 levels in total, don't expect a 50 level spike-fest like GOOMWITTEY.

And read the readme!

Run or Die is an experiment in creating a game that is challenging without anything that directly affects the player with the exception of the terrain. The only thing that kills the player, is a timer that constantly ticks down. The idea is to force the player to learn the layout of each level and speed through it in the fastest way possible. I gave plenty of lenience for the timer, and each level can be beat with at 5 seconds to spare, and even more for others. I also tried to make each level unique visually, although some are repetitive.

Thanks for playing! I appreciate all praise and/or criticism. 

DOWNLOAD: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63088159/Run%20or%20Die.zip
almightyzentaco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:48:29 PM »

I played through your entire game. I liked it. It was fun, short, and simple.

What was good

I enjoyed the minimalist style and catchy music. The game play was simple but fun for the time I invested in the game.

The controls were smooth and responsive.

I really liked how ever level had it's own style theme. The one with all the black boxes obscuring the screen made for an interesting challenge.

What could be improved

The game just starts over when you beat it with no indications (unless there was more and I didn't notice), and I think some sort of victory screen would be nice.

There is no way to die from falling off the screen, even though you can't do anything but fall. This led to a few points where falling made me sit there for fifteen seconds or so until the timer expired. A faster restart would be nice when you are past the point of no return.

The game was super simple. Some obstacles, traps, enemies, or moving dangers would be fun. As it stands now it's just a mad scramble to the end of the level. Not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you are going for.

Anyway, it was fun. Nice work!
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:59:10 PM »

I played through your entire game. I liked it. It was fun, short, and simple.

What was good

I enjoyed the minimalist style and catchy music. The game play was simple but fun for the time I invested in the game.

The controls were smooth and responsive.

I really liked how ever level had it's own style theme. The one with all the black boxes obscuring the screen made for an interesting challenge.

What could be improved

The game just starts over when you beat it with no indications (unless there was more and I didn't notice), and I think some sort of victory screen would be nice.

There is no way to die from falling off the screen, even though you can't do anything but fall. This led to a few points where falling made me sit there for fifteen seconds or so until the timer expired. A faster restart would be nice when you are past the point of no return.

The game was super simple. Some obstacles, traps, enemies, or moving dangers would be fun. As it stands now it's just a mad scramble to the end of the level. Not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you are going for.

Anyway, it was fun. Nice work!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it :D

And no, there is no real end. I just didn't want the game to close right at the end. I just felt that there wasn't much more that I could add to make the game better (for what it is) and I didn't want to drag out too long. Also, spacebar restarts a level, probably should've made that more obvious in the readme.

The reason why there aren't any other obstacles is because the game was designed with the idea of making a game with only terrain based obstacles to slow you down on time. And for crazy people, I made sure each level is very speedrunable.

Thanks again for playing!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic