Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 09:45:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMoon Boing - 3D Platformer beta-test
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Moon Boing - 3D Platformer beta-test  (Read 642 times)
KevinNolan
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2014, 04:37:42 PM »

Moon Boing is my 3D platformer which will be coming out soon on iOS and Android. It's a full freeroaming (free bouncing?) game that uses 'Lunar Lander' style jetpack momentum which, once mastered, allows your character to potentially jump huge distances and change direction in midair. It's at late beta stage for Android (iOS already complete and submitted to Apple). Please check it out and let me know what you think - any issues would be good to know about, big or small. You can also critique other stuff like the website or promo video if you like - all good to know about!

Testflight signup: http://tflig.ht/19cfsLy

Video:

Lovely Piccies:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:51:55 PM by KevinNolan » Logged
dishmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:28:09 AM »

The video is very impressive!  With the relaxed music it gives the impression that the game is quite casual, like a 3D version of Doodle Jump maybe.

As for playing the game itself...  I lose interest when I'm asked for name, email, password, etc.  It just seems like too much of a hurdle for a few minutes of beta testing.

Probably not the sort of feedback you were after.  Sorry. Undecided
KevinNolan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 07:21:28 AM »

Thanks for the reply dishmoth - all feedback is good Smiley I'm very glad you liked the video.

Good point about the registration rigmarole. I uploaded the game's .apk for the good folks at Reddit for their Feedback Fridays event. So if you open this link on your Android machine you'll be able to download, install and play it straight away.

http://spacehatgames.com/wp-content/TempMBoingBranch/MBoing_Andr_RBranch.apk

Hope that helps out!

Kevin
dishmoth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:07:08 AM »

Ah, that link's more like it! Grin

So, presentation is pretty excellent.  The casual tone (music, cut-scenes and gameplay) works well, and everything felt very polished.

To be honest I expected the gameplay to get frustrating pretty quickly - but in fact that didn't happen during the levels I played (up to the pay-wall).  I think that means you've done a very good job of balancing the difficulty curve.

I only bothered to collect one of the bonus items - I assumed they were there to aim for on a second play through.

I know there's no helping it, but I would've been happier playing the game with a proper controller - turning was just a little awkward sometimes.  (And while I'm dreaming about playing on different hardware, a 3D screen like the 3DS would help no end when judging jump distances!)

I may have been imagining it, but it seemed that the astronaut didn't have a shadow when landing on the level-end blocks.  Not really a problem (and maybe it's deliberate?) but I found it a little disconcerting.

Finally, the nearest thing I found to a bug was on the credits page.  (That's right, someone looked at the credits page!)  The last line of the credits was cut off by the bottom of the screen.  I guess my screen ratio (1280x800) is wider than expected..?

Overall, an extremely nice bit of work!  I hope its launch goes well.
KevinNolan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Dishmoth. And I'm really happy you enjoyed it all the way up to the paywall.

As you say, the orbs are bonus items for bumping up your star rating. Though you gotta tri-star several levels before you can completely finish the game.

Interesting point about your wish for a proper controller. That's something to keep in mind for Android devices with proper controllers (or the Ouya, which I could potentially release to).

Ooops, yes you should have a shadow on the end block Smiley

Thanks for the credits page warning - I'll check that out.

Cheers for the well wishes - I'll let you know when it comes out. And thanks again for the useful feedback  Smiley

Kevin
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic