Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 02:39:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Variable Passage of Time With Physics
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Variable Passage of Time With Physics  (Read 1417 times)
st33d
« on: January 07, 2010, 03:52:53 AM »

I want a variable passage of time in the throwing game I'm making. Take a look at the fight in this clip from 300 to see what I mean:

I tried changing the frame rate of the game at runtime (in AS3) but it just looks like it's chugging on some badly written code.

I'm currently using verlet integration to move the character, but that won't allow me to run the physics at half speed or whatever because it relies on the position of the character in the last frame. I need a new physics model (but one that isn't overkill, it's a throwing game, it doesn't need to deal with complex polygon collisions).

Any suggestions?
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:41:40 AM »

fixed rate logic and delta time are the key concepts  i would say.

with them you could give in a desired update-logic speed (in millisecs / per frame)
as a output you'll get the amount of update-steps taken in a frame (speed independant.)
i am sure your physics module knows how to update itself , given the amount of steps .

you'll encounter stuff as interpolating/tweening also, but they are easier then they sound.

changing framerate during runtime is not the way to go, because it messes everything else up, and you can't tell if other people have computers that can run at your framerate anyway.

sorry if the post is unclear, i'm feeling abit unclear also Smiley
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 04:44:55 AM »

Depending on your needs there are a few different things you could do.

- Run Verlet (or other fixed-timestep) with a smaller timestep and simply do more steps per frame when running at full speed. Likely to get you performance issues, but if you do not have enough physics for it to become a problem, it should work fine.

- Use Euler/Improved euler instead of verlet. It allows you to have variable timesteps and is faster but produces a less physically correct simulation and is more likely to break apart if you are doing fancy stuff (joints etc). Also has the problem that results become highly dependent on the simulation frequency, meaning whether you enable slow-motion or not have a huge impact on the results.

- Run Verlet and simulate it in real-time, only interpolate between current physics frame and next physics frame when not enough time has passed to produce a new frame. Faster than the other solutions and as deterministic as just doing ordinary simulation in real-time but since you get a lot less detail per frame it might look weird.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 04:57:39 AM »

Check out this article.  He explains how to set up a framerate independent physics loop, and goes over how to handle slow motion using interpolation.

Good luck!

@doomlaser, mark johns
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:39:54 AM »

That link is the one!
that originally taught me this thang,
cool.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »

Glenn Fiedler is awesome. I learned network programming from his articles.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
st33d
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:22:39 PM »

Cheers folks. I just switched over to Euler, changed the damping modifier to a friction modifier and added a global timeStep variable that affected all executed movement and changes to movement.

I didn't need an RK4 but the explanation of it let me know I was doing the right thing when I trawled through the code making changes everywhere.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic