Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 11:05:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)2D Game Library for XNA?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D Game Library for XNA?  (Read 1978 times)
Zachary Lewis
Level 1

Professional by day, indie by night.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2010, 07:57:34 AM »

I'm looking to make a multiplayer arena game (think Bomberman), and I'm looking for a library for XNA that can handle animated sprites, simple collision and resource management (kinda' like Flixel or FlashPunk does for AS3). Has anyone ever used tools like this, or should I start from scratch?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:14:47 AM by zachwlewis » Logged

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »

There is a flixel version for XNA, but XNA right out of the box handles Sprites pretty well.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:42:35 AM »

but XNA right out of the box handles Sprites pretty well.

As long as you like really long draw calls  Roll Eyes

A friend of mine used to use FlatRedBall and he says its good. I never got into it and have ended up rolling my own sprite management system and using Farseer Physics to deal with collisions and other physics stuff.

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
Balrog
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:25:47 AM »

There are several tutorials on the XNA website on how to do that stuff. I built my code off some of the code in the platformer starter kit. You'll have to write some kind of reusable entity pool though because garbage collection on the 360 is atrocious.

Zachary Lewis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 09:27:15 AM »

There are several tutorials on the XNA website on how to do that stuff. I built my code off some of the code in the platformer starter kit. You'll have to write some kind of reusable entity pool though because garbage collection on the 360 is atrocious.

I was considering just building off of what they have, but I'd have to rewrite so much shit that it would probably be easier just starting off with a vanilla library and doin' my own thang.

There is a flixel version for XNA, but XNA right out of the box handles Sprites pretty well.

I'm intrigued of this "flixel version for XNA" you speak of. Where can I find it?

PlayMeTape
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:14:57 AM »

http://github.com/StAidan/X-flixel

Haven't tried it yet but I will as soon as I feel like working with pixels Smiley. If you try it out please do tell us how you like it Smiley.
Zachary Lewis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 10:22:32 AM »

I will definitely let you know how much I hate it as soon as I start working with it. Big Laff Expect a thread detailing my struggles with it in the near future (probably tonight).

Zachary Lewis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 01:01:17 PM »

Wound up... not using it. Maybe I'll give it a shot one day. Just started from scratch.  Who, Me?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic