Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411567 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:29:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPerspective - 2D platformer w/ 3D perspective rotation
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Perspective - 2D platformer w/ 3D perspective rotation  (Read 9700 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »

Levels 2-6 on hard :

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 04:28:55 PM »

Levels 7-8 on hard.  Level 7 has the Red Orb which creates a mirror image, Level 8 has the Blue and Green orbs.  It's interesting how hitting the blue orbs will create water of different height depending on the rotation and what blocks are under it.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »

I'm planning the Yellow/Red levels out a lot more than previously.  In previous games, I just went and used whatever game elements I wanted, as there weren't too many of them.  In this case, though, there's a ton of them, and using them all in one level would probably just end up being a mess.  So I'm restricting each level to a certian number of elements.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:51:42 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »

I was going to wait until I got two Yellow levels done before I put up another demo of this, but I can't find any energy/motivation to work on it at the moment.  So here's the demo of Perspective with just the Green levels.  The final demo version should have 2 Yellow levels.

http://rydia.net/udder/!crap/perspectiveTest/
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »

Added two new orb types, which are essentially temporary power-ups.

White Orbs will let you jump higher for 6 seconds.
Black Orbs will let you fall slower for 6 seconds.

Should be interesting finding some uses for these.

I hope to have the 2 Yellow levels for the demo version done soon.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 06:22:00 AM »

Making levels for Perspective is one of the most challenging content design I've had to do. Fake 3D .. D:

New player sprite completed! By the way, this is also by Paste.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:55:52 PM by Udderdude » Logged
clemzio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 10:26:50 AM »

I finished the game in Easy mode and then gave it a try to the hardest difficulty. The challenge was surprisingly more interesting without the possibility to fall down.

This additional puzzle aspect of the game is nice plus.

However something frustrating in the latter levels is when you keep missing a jump and have to restart the whole level again and again because there's a missing piece in the upper part of the level.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »

However something frustrating in the latter levels is when you keep missing a jump and have to restart the whole level again and again because there's a missing piece in the upper part of the level.

Well, it is an action-puzzle game.  Once you figure out the solution (puzzle), you still have to execute it correctly (action).  I might change Hard skill to allow some leeway in terms of making mistakes.  Maybe I will give the player 2 life on Hard, 3 on Normal and 4 on Easy.  This would allow you to fall down and collect an item you missed once on Hard.

I'm also changing it so you take damage while falling on Easy as well.
impulse9
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »

Nice concept! Smiley I loved the floating water-box thing. Smiley
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 12:56:01 PM »

Nice concept! Smiley I loved the floating water-box thing. Smiley

Thanks.  I intend to get a lot of mileage out of the anti-gravity water, since it's pretty rare to see something like that in a platformer.

Levels 9-10 completed :

Demo has been updated with levels 9-10, and the earlier Green levels have some ways to get back up if you fall, now.

Also, enemies now have a glowing ring around them that gets brighter as they're about to fire off a shot.  This makes it easier to tell if jumping on/in front of them will get you shot in the face.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:10:31 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 01:28:45 PM »

Been almost a month since I posted here.  I ran out of mental energy to work on this and Mastery.  I'm hoping to get back into it soon, make some more levels and finish it up.  My goal is to make another bundle with both this game and Mastery.

Today I went and added the preview rotate feature back in.  The main reason for this was that it was still a mystery what the level would look like when rotated.  Hopefully you should only have to use the preview rotate once or twice per level, instead of constantly like before.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »

Thread resurrection!  Did some work I had been planning to do on this.  I added another power-up type orb, the magenta orb.  This one lets you run faster for 6 seconds.  Also renamed the black/white orb to yellow/cyan orb.

Also added a graphical effect for when you have a power-up active.  So far, those are yellow:jump higher, cyan:fall slower, magenta:run faster.

I also added a new enemy type that drops mines and likes to hang around spikes.

Maybe I'll get back to doing some levels, it's still very difficult to make levels for this game.  Probably the hardest I've ever had to design due to the fake 3D and basically having to design two levels at once which work in tandem on the X-axis.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »

New enemy art!  Still needs some coloring work, but I like how they turned out.  Designs are by Tim McFarland.  Very fishy looking >_>

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 05:26:44 PM »

Did a bit more work on this today.  Made the player sprite bigger, changed the yellow/cyan/magenta orbs to pyramids and gave them a different graphic, and changed the green orb so that instead of clearing the spikes, they become transparent and have vines growing around them.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 10:06:46 AM »

Back to working on this.  I moved the Pyramids (power-ups) introduction to the Yellow levels, as it was introducing too many game elements at once.

More updates as they come.  I'm getting back in the swing of making content, trying to come up with a better process.

Edit: Changed collectables so they change color when inside water, so they're easier to see.  Also added some animation for the water.  Yay.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:02:17 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 02:54:12 PM »

Get ready for extreme excitement.  Yup, it's animated water time. :O

I should note that the original non-animated sprite was done by Paste.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:00:31 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »

Got another level finished, finally.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 09:34:58 AM »

Finished another level.  I'm actually planning on cutting the number of levels down to something like 16.  Yeah, not many.  We'll see if I change my mind.
Ingshtrom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »

I really like this! I am a pretty big fan of platformers in general and I could see this as being a hit.  I like how simple it is, yet challenging because you don't know how the world is going to change next.  It gives me the feeling of 3 dimensions while only ever using 2.

Current DevLog: Finding Home (platformer/shooter)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 11:45:36 AM »

I like how simple it is, yet challenging because you don't know how the world is going to change next.

Thanks, but this wasn't my intention.  There's actually a feature in-game where you can preview what rotating left or right would look like by holding 1 or 2.  Or you can just ignore this and rotate wherever and hope you get it right .. lol.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic