Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411669 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 11:25:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSquare Enix Makes an iPod Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Square Enix Makes an iPod Game  (Read 1821 times)
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »

... and the peoples of the Earth are shocked.

http://kotaku.com/5022646/square-enix-announces-releases-song-summoner-for-ipod

So, it's kind of like an Audiosurf strategy RPG for the iPod, except instead of stages being generated by your songs, it generates units. I'll be snagging this tomorrow, no matter what the reviews, because I want to support Square Enix's ventures into new territories. It actually does sound cool, anyways. :D

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 08:34:01 PM »

I like that Squinex is jumping out into other directions, Ill give this a try.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:32:38 AM »

This sounds like it could be truly awesome. Unfortunately I don't have an iPod so I'll have to... have to... *shame* borrow my mother's!  Cry

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 08:44:45 AM »

that has to be one of the weirdest announcement in a while.

port it to iPhone/touch!

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:50:17 AM »

Ive Played it for about 45 minutes so far, it seems like it would be a good PG compo game, with the fighters generated by the songs, the best fighter I got was from A neutral Milk Hotel song, he was a level A, with most of his stats greater then the defaults.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »

I haven't been much for SE's new games (after X (and even X a bit) I was kinda bleh ok) and I guess I just grew out of them. But FF Tactics is hands down one of my favorite games of all time, and the similarity (even though slight or whatever) that this dwells on it along with the fact that I can put it on my only piece of portable hardware (yeah yeah I know!) just makes me thrilled.

hi
deku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 06:56:57 AM »

to bad i stept on my ipod Sad

procrastination is the best part of game design<br />http://deku1.deviantart.com/
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:24:57 PM »

I'll update this with a full review, later, but I just want to make some quick comments first.

First things first, most of it works beautifully. Instead of a standard list for actions, they use a so-called, "command ring." The command ring is laid out in a 3D fashion, and you (obviously) move your thumb around the click wheel to select your actions. My only (minor) complaint with the game so far is the somewhat clunky movement. You have to scroll the click wheel back and forth to select points on the grid, and oftentimes, you will miss the point that you wanted to go to, and have to go back and then miss it again, then finally hit it on your third time around. Strategy RPGs were clearly not designed for the iPod, but Square Enix seems to have pulled it off as well as possible.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic