Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 12:59:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral... Guess what company made an IMVU clone?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ... Guess what company made an IMVU clone?  (Read 3485 times)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:13:57 PM »

Google.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »

sweird, right?

Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 01:02:38 PM »

...what?

Google making an mmo...
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 01:16:57 PM »

It seems it's only 3D chatrooms, not mmo.

Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 01:53:20 PM »

It seems it's only 3D chatrooms, not mmo.
ah,

...what?

Google making 3D chatrooms...
Jrsquee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:34:33 PM »

lolwut!?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:35:22 PM »

Flush your internet cable down the toilet for free internets!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
increpare
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 02:41:29 PM »

shades of comic chat
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »

Cave Story ripoff.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »

Second life doesn't interest me at all. IMVU is crap. So why does this look respectable.

Apparently handlebar mustaches will be possible, but will monocles? Also, can I make my avatar there into a character in this game?

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 04:14:17 PM »

Virtual worlds like Second Life are nice for businesses for example, because it's a "cheap" way to make a 3D public area showing the modernizations of your projects or showing potential new products you plan to do (or not).

For example, Nike presents prototypes on Second Life and it's a good benchmark of the popularity of potential new models.

The company i work for made some modeling to represent the Strasbourg(France) main monument and promote the region (it was the region administration that asked for it).

As far as you understand that Second Life is not a game nor a simple 3D chat, you can take advantage of the public space you're manipulating. It's a communication (the more abstract definition of communication) tool like, this forum, the irc channel, a scheme on a board or an illustration.

The other interesting thing to note about the subject is that those kind of virtual world are now developed by new companies and open source projects that want to provide the servers in the end and allow data-migration through different servers with diffeent servers.

To go straight to the point : it could replace web servers or at least mix virtual spaces with web content. A ten years in the futur jump could let you discover that you would have virtual space servers with every popular sites AND customized virtual spaces on personnal servers.

(exemples are Multiverse and others projects that i forgot the names, sorry)

Now, be sure that for instance what annonces google looks more like an IRC with 3D, that is NOT enough to be a virtual space, but would be the "simple & quick to setup" version. I think, the way google works, it may be easily extended to virtual space, but they are too young in this domain (for instance) to be the masters. I think they can be the best verry fast if they really dedicate a big experienced team on it.

Note : i never got into segond life myself, but i had to work with people in my team that had to make things in it so i watched them do their work in it and it's interesting. I'm not fan of the medium itself as now it's pretty old, but it's a good start for future representation of concepts i think.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic