Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 01:50:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralQuake 1...
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Quake 1...  (Read 4816 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:00:17 PM »

...is still very fun and awesome to play even nowadays.

Discuss.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:57:13 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
chiavelli
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »

It is still awesome today (probably in part due to its simplicity)

I used to play it nightly on MPlayer back when things like MPlayer existed.
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »

I'd like to see a sequel to Quake 1, but at the same time I don't, because I fear they'll just do some next-gen crap with no respect of the original design and feel.  Painkiller appears to be a bit like Q1 in spirit, at least when it comes to the Gothic Weapons and Environments.

I think Q3's movement felt a bit better than Q1's, but Q3 was too 'fluffy' and kinda toy-gothic. Awesome textures though.

I like the unbalanced weapons of Q1.

Shamblers are awesome.

Fiends are awesome.

Shalraths are awesome.

Tarbabies are annoying as fuck.

There are some paper models from Q1. There's a lot of animation frames to choose from, the textures needs to be curved properly, and there's different approaches to marking the folds. I haven't really found a model which I like yet.

This appears to be a Scale 1:2 Shambler
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rizomatik/2290952601/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:55:24 PM by Arne » Logged
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:57:57 PM »

I used to play the shareware version online through MPlayer... I hated those rooms that just did that tiny boss map with like 32 people.  You would spawn and instantly hear "GUUOAAOGH!" as you got hit with a stray rocket and proceeded to fly across the map.

I didnt get good at the game until I learned about strafing.
gamer4Life
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:58:53 PM »

I never played it  Angry

The only quake I've really played is Quake 64.  That one is pretty fun to play!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 02:18:11 PM »

Yeah, the universe of Quake 1 is amazing... I love how medieval it is.

The following Quake games aren't too bad, but the Strogg are such generic biological/technological horrors.  I'd rather fight an Ogre in a bloody apron who's armed with a chainsaw and a grenade launcher. Evil

Also I remember the Quake 1 instruction manual saying that the grunts were all serial killers with their brains wired so that whenever they killed someone they felt "paroxysms of pleasure" or something.

What a scary game!

The bosses sucked, though. Sad
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »

Oh yeah, id didn't know how to design satisfying bosses back then. Not sure how much better they got at that.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »

Oh yeah, id didn't know how to design satisfying bosses back then. Not sure how much better they got at that.

what? Chton was the best boss ever back in 1995 in an fps... and what about the ones in Doom 2?
The reason the bosses were not that hard anyway is because they were made in a very short time (there are only two bosses for 4 episodes for example)

anyway that's strange, me and MonochromeNight just had a coop lan through quake, and we're just talking about it while i was opening the forums!

It's like the best coop game ever made, if you haven't played it with a friend you still don't know Quake.

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »

Slide is about the best reason for owning Quake. Also TargetQuake even though I swear it's impossible to finish.
increpare
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 04:24:06 PM »

Slide is about the best reason for owning Quake. Also TargetQuake even though I swear it's impossible to finish.
Slidequake was very impressive.  It's graphical beauty isn't something that for me has faded with tiem.  Quake 2 also had a pretty unique aesthetic, though I didn't get into that very much.  Quake 1 I owe so much; it was the first game I made my own content (levels) for.

Man, I think I have a really well developed sensitivity to the aesthetics of these old FPS games: thinking back amongst them, each one I think of (quake, doom, heretic, hexen, RotT, wolfenstein, &c.) immediately carries with it really strong memories and feeling of what they were like to say.

Woah...major nostalgia buzz here...
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »

Like Gamer4Life, i never played it.
I try to toy with the engine when it went open-source but  back when quake was "the" game i did't own a pc...
I might try it

Available for Freelance
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:55:11 PM »

Quake is a great game.  Although many people consider the single player weak, and it also started the popular trend of saying "id makes good engines\tech demos but can't make a game" I've always enjoyed it a lot.  Quake, more so than any other game, is the base template for the modern FPS. Many of the top FPS games (COD games, Source Engine games) of today are based on Quake's source code. 

I'd like to see a sequel to Quake 1, but at the same time I don't, because I fear they'll just do some next-gen crap with no respect of the original design and feel.
You mean like they did with Doom 3 Smiley. A new Quake game in the original Quake's universe (Quake I-2?) with Gears of War quality "next-gen" visuals, but the same feel, similar level design, monsters and weapons would be great. It'd be refreshing simply because no one really makes "old-school" fps games anymore.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 09:47:06 PM »

I think I was the only person in the world who thought Quake had an awesome soundtrack.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
increpare
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 12:17:26 AM »

I think I was the only person in the world who thought Quake had an awesome soundtrack.

Erm: i thought it was pretty good, for one.
Movius
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 03:55:11 AM »

Yeah, I've never ever heard anything good said about the Quake soundtrack other. Especially not from the legions of ravenous Reznor fanboys.

Not a single good word about it ever.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 07:03:37 AM »

Yeah, I've never ever heard anything good said about the Quake soundtrack other. Especially not from the legions of ravenous Reznor fanboys.

sarcasm overload!!!!!

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 07:06:31 AM »

I didn't like Quake 1, and I place the blame solely on it for the shitty color scheme that most modern FPS have these days. Quake 1 killed Blue Sky. There wasn't even 9 guns!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 07:13:14 AM »

The shitty color scheme was exploited waaaaaaay after quake was lkargely ignored by devs and causal gamers.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 07:29:09 AM »

QWTF invented modern FPS multiplayer gameplay.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 07:57:26 AM »

Ha ha, ok, guess I'm not in touch with ravenous Reznor fanboys.

But mostly I was speaking of the concept - a soundtrack of ambient sound stuff which leaves space open for the sfx so that they blend together rather than compete against each other.

Plus I just like ambient noise.

I groove along to old refrigerators.

Er, never mind.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic