Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411665 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 07:11:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFlagship Studios is no more.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flagship Studios is no more.  (Read 2745 times)
imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »

The story's been going around for a few hours now, but Flagship Studios is no more. Every employee's been laid off, the higher ups even paid them out of pocket for a 30-day pension.

I know they were not exactly indie (or original given that their only two IPs were Diablo clones), but it's still sad to hear.

Also, I was really looking forward to a patch for Mythos...oh well.

Massively article

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »

Wow, I guess that Hellgate shot them in the foot worse then everyone thought. I was looking forward to Mythos too Sad

Oh well.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
acidBatterie
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 07:59:28 PM »

sucks
gamer4Life
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »

Did anyone actually play Hellgate?  I read some reviews that said it wasn't really that great.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 11:05:49 AM »

I did, after getting to the 3rd or 4th train station, which looked like the previous ones, with combat areas that resembled the previous combat areas, I quit, the coolness of upgradeable weapons was lost.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »

Why didn't they release a free trial of Hellgate?

I would have bought the game on release day, but the reviews were so mixed.

After the reviews that said the game was mediocre, they should have released a free trial.  I really wanted to try the game, but I wasn't willing to invest $30 minimum in a game that could be crap.  If they would have released a free 14 day trial, they probably would have gotten at least 1 monthly fee out of me.

Stupidity.

Still, I hope that all of the employees can find work ASAP.  I have much sympathy for the families, and much respect for some of the employees' past work.

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:15:12 AM »

I played Hellgate with my friend and we had some fun. But the truth is that the game was bad. You know - there are these games that you play and actually even like, but you know they aren't really good. This was exactly that.

It had some really cool ideas (sniping in FPP while your mate is hackin' and slashin' the old way, scorching demons with your cyber-cabalistic powerglove... good times) and was overall a pretty good Diablo clone that even tried to push the genre a bit further. It was a bit monotonous, but that's typical to every H&S. However, it suffered from loads of really critical issues. At launch the players couldn't really chat with each other, you often couldn't see your team mates during gameplay, loading times were a killer and the game crashed every now and then. And it was meant to be played in teams!
On the top of that, it was actually pretty hard to pay for a subscription or even join the forums, if you were from EU. Talk about limiting your audience.

Actually, it gave you an impression that the game doesn't really want you to play it. Fuck, it even didn't remember your name when you logged on to the servers - you had to enter it manually each time. And then wait for 10 minutes to load. And then you couldn't meet and communicate with your mate. And then you've found that you were invisible to each other. And then the game crashed...

Quote from: PaulMorel
Why didn't they release a free trial of Hellgate?
They did release a single player trial for Hellgate. It was horrible!

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:35:45 AM »

didn't someone in the IRC work for them?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »

Makes you wonder just why some games end up like this. Most of the time I feel it is tight schedules, lack of experience, lack of good teamplay and leadership in the dev team, shareholders and other money-grubbing morons trying to be game designers, or a combination of those. Maybe Flagship did a small scale Daikatana, like so many other companies tend to. They shoot much higher than they're capable of and end up wasting millions.

Nobody learns with Icarus nowadays.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 03:41:51 PM »

didn't someone in the IRC work for them?
I think so, yeah. Can't remember who it was though.  Embarrassed
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 01:45:07 AM »

of all the years hellgate was being hyped, i never understood what was appealing about it.

it looked down right stupid to me.
like, 14yo stupid.

it's a knight! but a futuristic knight! with guns! oh and like...a glowing visor!
and.... it takes place in... LONDON! oh and its all fucked up and dark! and you can go to HELL!

is anybody surprised it failed and killed its studio?
not to be a dick here but im glad this kind of derivative and uninspired thinking is met with bankruptcy.

i do feel bad for everybody being laid off, tho.
that always sucks.

Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 03:28:35 AM »

After the reviews that said the game was mediocre, they should have released a free trial.  I really wanted to try the game, but I wasn't willing to invest $30 minimum in a game that could be crap.  If they would have released a free 14 day trial, they probably would have gotten at least 1 monthly fee out of me.

Wait, what? Is Hellgate a subscription based online game? I played the demo and kind of liked it but I never realised it was multiplayer or online or anything :D
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 07:47:20 AM »

Mythos looked promising from what I played, as far as Diablo clones go, especially free ones.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 07:59:31 AM »

Wait, what? Is Hellgate a subscription based online game? I played the demo and kind of liked it but I never realised it was multiplayer or online or anything :D

It was subscription optional, for those who wanted advanced features over the unpaying masses.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic