Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 05:56:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioThis track sucks
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: This track sucks  (Read 878 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »

I made this track, now I listened to it and I think it sucks.
Maybe you can mention all the wrong things I did? I am obviously missing something over here...
(You can post your own tracks you think that suck and people would comment what you did wrong?)

http://soundcloud.com/pompipompi/space1

Master of all trades.
rogerlevy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »

uninteresting melody and unclear, meandering chord progression.
the beat and bass line is kind of interesting but what you put over that is weak.
i think i would prefer a more conventional beat though. 
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »

Also, it uses nothing besides the same old pulse waves and noise percussion that is present in every other song posted in this forum. If you're going to go NES-style, make it interesting. Do something weird and strip away elements that should be there. You are living in the year 2012 and you can, actually, take advantage of that fact while still retaining the retro aesthetic.

It takes an immense amount of musical knowledge and skill to do something interesting with console-style chiptunes; take the Megaman soundtracks, for instance. Many tracks use a variety of interesting rhythmic and melodic ideas that require a detailed understanding of theory to make sound right. If you're insistent on doing chiptune stuff, good luck having it not be boring! Keep at it!
Slide20xl
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 01:05:30 PM »

The thing about the instrumentation that bothers me isn't the fact that I've "heard it all before;" - it's the fact that the choice of waveform just doesn't appeal to me. It sounds like it's lacking a certain depth of sound.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that your melodic ideas are uninteresting, but I don't feel like you develop them enough. Your use of repetition is developmental - I can hear that you're trying to creative variety in the music with the percussion part - but the problem is that it isn't developmental enough. It sounds like we're hearing the same thing over and over again.

I like parts of it (I think it's catchy, at least. It keeps getting stuck in my head), but the thing I'd tell you to focus on it to go beyond repeating your melodic stuff. Use the melody to create interest instead of the percussive part. Write more melody.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic